Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 12:18 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,697 times

Advertisements

What I'm getting at here is cities that don't tend to lose their "big city" vibe after you live in them or even spend an extended amount of time in them. By "big city vibe" I don't mean physical boundaries, I mean that dizzying feeling that you're in a big, exciting, urban place.

I think in general, the peak of getting a big city vibe is when you first arrive at a city. You're disoriented and everything feels a bit more expansive and exciting. Once you've spent at least 6 months in a place, you probably have a decent orientation of the layout of the neighborhoods, the social and cultural geography, the exciting nightlife, restaurant and shopping areas. Familiarity makes a city feel smaller in my experience.

Based on my experiences (although admittedly in a couple of these cities I haven't spent more than a month at a time), the American and Canadian cities that lose their big city vibe the least with time are NYC, Chicago, and Montreal. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 01:35 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
Obviously it's the larger US and Canadian cities.

But a city that's on its way there is Atlanta. Not only is the core of the city developing, it's suburbs are as well. Give it 20-30 years and it's going to be way more dense and feel like a larger city.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:55 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
I would say only New York and maybe Chicago and Toronto are the only cities that comes to mind.

Montreal remind me a lot of Philadelphia and Boston and they lose their big city vibe after you live there. They are big bustling cities, but not so bad once you learn them.

LA is just big, but its missing that vibe IMO.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would say only New York and maybe Chicago and Toronto are the only cities that comes to mind.

Montreal remind me a lot of Philadelphia and Boston and they lose their big city vibe after you live there. They are big bustling cities, but not so bad once you learn them.

Agree re: Philly and Boston. I'd put SF in that category as well. But Montreal felt a tier above in terms of not losing its big city feel - more than Toronto to some extent. Probably because Montreal's urban fabric and big city vibe (in the classic sense a la larger European cities) remains intact further out than Toronto's. Toronto is very dizzying and "big city" feeling when you first arrive, but it lost that pretty quickly for me once I got to know the city and realized that outside of Old Toronto the big city vibe is fairly lacking.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:10 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Maybe Philly and Boston are losing it, but Montreal keeps getting more hectic as more people are moving into the core. Metro is more packed, downtown is more packed, schools, museums, etc...

Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Maybe Philly and Boston are losing it, but Montreal keeps getting more hectic as more people are moving into the core. Metro is more packed, downtown is more packed, schools, museums, etc...
“With time” refers to the time a person spends in a city, not over time generally.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:59 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
New York and Los Angeles and that's it.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:52 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
New York and Los Angeles and that's it.
In your opinion. I think Chicago, as well. (IMO)

Old 02-18-2018, 06:13 PM

724 posts, read 560,695 times
I just wanna say - your user name is cool AF. I love Bojack Horseman too!

Old 02-18-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
I just wanna say - your user name is cool AF. I love Bojack Horseman too!
I went to the stock market today. I did a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.