Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:18 AM

17 posts, read 70,038 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I am a medical student from europe, planning on taking the exams for being accepted for a medical residency in the US.

The starting salary is approximately the same in all cities, so I am looking for a place where the salary would be sufficient for my living. I'd honestly prefer as best weather as possible Would you suggest any cities for me to apply?!

If my question is too vague i ll try to narrow it down with some options, let me know

thanks a lot in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:45 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,954,133 times
What would be your ideal weather? And how big of a city would you like ideally? And cultural diversity important for you in a city?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,585,481 times
The biggest cities where I'd say that salary would go the furthest are Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta, and all three cities have warm weather, which I guess you're accustomed to in Cyprus.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
What would be your ideal weather? And how big of a city would you like ideally? And cultural diversity important for you in a city?
Well ideally speaking I'd love mediterranean weather, though I think you can only find that in California which can be quite expensive. Something close to that , or at least not harsh winters would be fine ( as hot as possible! ).

I don't have in mind any ideal size of city. Maybe not too busy like new york though. As far as cultural diversity, I guess it would be a plus. I haven't even been to the US yet so I'm trying to get an idea. I will be visiting some parts soon though.

What about Philadelphia in Pennsylvania?

Thanks for your interest!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:08 AM

Philadelphia isn't horribly expensive, though it's not as affordable as the cities I mentioned previously. Also, the winters will be much colder than you're used to.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Philadelphia isn't horribly expensive, though it's not as affordable as the cities I mentioned previously. Also, the winters will be much colder than you're used to.
Thanks for your help and info Johnbiggs! Well I 've been attending med school in Czech Republic which can be quite cold in winter, so I'm trying to avoid meeting such bad weather again
However, I need to aim at very good universities, since as an international graduate, it will make it easier for me if I manage getting into the good ones in the beginning. I 'll try to search for the med schools in the cities you mentioned, thanks again!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1ss1 View Post
Well ideally speaking I'd love mediterranean weather, though I think you can only find that in California which can be quite expensive. Something close to that , or at least not harsh winters would be fine ( as hot as possible! ).

I don't have in mind any ideal size of city. Maybe not too busy like new york though. As far as cultural diversity, I guess it would be a plus. I haven't even been to the US yet so I'm trying to get an idea. I will be visiting some parts soon though.

What about Philadelphia in Pennsylvania?

Thanks for your interest!
I would try the cities that the other person listed. But another addition I want to make that you'll like is San Antonio, Texas. By city population it is the 7th largest city in the country, and it's metropolitan area has about 2.2 million people or so.

The economy there is very good compared to other placed in the country.

It doesn't snow much, maybe 1-2 days in the year maximum, which is nothing. Dallas snows a little bit, and can get cold moderately same with Atlanta, that's where San Antonio has the edge over both. Dallas & Atlanta have some hills, if you like that then it's worth checking it out.

It can get hot, but everything there is air conditioned, and it's not unbearable. Houston can get a little bit more humid, San Antonio is a bit better. But Houston is a coastal city, it's near the beaches and things. So if you want that, then it's worth checking Houston out.

It is one of the most inexpensive big cities in the country, and it's growing by quite a lot too. It has an interesting culture, and not to mention that it's becoming quite diverse.

Where are you coming from?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I would try the cities that the other person listed. But another addition I want to make that you'll like is San Antonio, Texas. By city population it is the 7th largest city in the country, and it's metropolitan area has about 2.2 million people or so.

The economy there is very good compared to other placed in the country.

It doesn't snow much, maybe 1-2 days in the year maximum, which is nothing. Dallas snows a little bit, and can get cold moderately same with Atlanta, that's where San Antonio has the edge over both. Dallas & Atlanta have some hills, if you like that then it's worth checking it out.

It can get hot, but everything there is air conditioned, and it's not unbearable. Houston can get a little bit more humid, San Antonio is a bit better. But Houston is a coastal city, it's near the beaches and things. So if you want that, then it's worth checking Houston out.

It is one of the most inexpensive big cities in the country, and it's growing by quite a lot too. It has an interesting culture, and not to mention that it's becoming quite diverse.

Where are you coming from?
Houston sounds great then! Is it a safe place to live in?
I'm from Cyprus, it's an island in Europe. We get summers up to 110F here and winters around 40F, so you imagine I feel I'm in north pole when the winter in Czech republic gets to 5F.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Houston sounds great then! Is it a safe place to live in?
I'm from Cyprus, it's an island in Europe. We get summers up to 110F here and winters around 40F, so you imagine I feel I'm in north pole when the winter in Czech republic gets to 5F.
Lol with temperatures as extreme as those Houston will be a no sweat for you at all.

Yes it's safe for the most part, there are some bad areas like any big city in the world, but there's plenty of good ones too.

Do you want to have suburban living and a bit further from the city or near the inner city?

Make a thread about details on specific neighborhoods in Houston here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/

The people there can help you out a little more than the ones here for Houston areas.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your help and info Johnbiggs! Well I 've been attending med school in Czech Republic which can be quite cold in winter, so I'm trying to avoid meeting such bad weather again
However, I need to aim at very good universities, since as an international graduate, it will make it easier for me if I manage getting into the good ones in the beginning. I 'll try to search for the med schools in the cities you mentioned, thanks again!
Well then, according to US News & World Report:

Baylor College of Medicine in Houston is ranked 24th amongst medical schools in research and 33rd in primary care.

University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston is ranked 52nd in research

University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas is ranked 20th in both research and primary care

Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta is ranked 20th in research and 25th in primary care

To put these rankings in perspective, there are 130 schools in the US currently granting MD degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.