U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 07:39 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times

Advertisements

Which states and cities in America would you say meet the political definition of purple politically better than blue or red? For states I could immediately say that Missouri, Indiana, and Ohio have histories as swing states and have always been politically divided.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 07:50 PM

86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Colorado is politically divided, and has a long history of same.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:18 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
I would say Sunbelt cities that have seen an influx of Northerners and Californians.

Raleigh
Richmond
Charlotte
Atlanta
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Tucson
Denver
Tampa

Then also middle-of-the-road, moderate places
St. Louis
Kansas City
Pittsburgh

As for entire states, I'll say Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Nevada, Arizona, Florida, Virginia, Colorado, Missouri

Old 06-22-2007, 08:20 PM

Overall Maryland is purple...most of the state is red but three jurisdictions have enough population to turn the whole state blue. Two of them are very ghetto and filled with illegals (Baltimore City and Prince George's County) and the third (Montgomery County) is filled with a mix of elitist snobs, New York transplants, hippies, and illegals.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:22 PM

IN a lot of states the whole state is red but one or two metro areas turn it blue. This is consistently seen in Maryland with Baltimore and parts of the DC suburbs, Pennsylvania with Philadelphia, Michigan with Detroit, and especially Illinois with Chicago.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:24 PM

86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
I would say Sunbelt cities that have seen an influx of Northerners and Californians.

Denver
I don't think it's the northerner or California influence in Denver or Colorado. Colorado has a long history of moderate politics and moderate politicians.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:43 PM

508 posts, read 1,316,595 times
Indiana? Really? I have always considered IN to be a pretty strong red state, even in the metros. IMHO, Minnesota or Wisconsin are better examples of Midwestern swing states than Indiana.

I don't know if I would say Washington is purple but it is a very polarized state: western and eastern could not be more different. There have been whispers about how some people want to divide the state in two.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:47 PM

2,169 posts, read 4,195,479 times
Generally speaking, I would put most of the Great Lakes states in that category: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio.

Much of the statewide support for Democrats relates to issues related to the economy, manufacturing/unions, and more traditional (Roosevelt-style) Democratic concerns. This in itself is a bluish shade of purple.

In Madison and Milwaukee (and in Mke's liberal suburbs, such as Shorewood), support for Democrats is a blend of Roosevelt-style thinking and more progressive Kennedy-style, Jackson-style, and even Nader-style thinking. These are the "bluer" folks.

There is also heavy statewide support for Republicans, but this is also mixed. There are many live-and-let-live "Goldwater" conservatives in the state who are most concerned about taxes and the business climate. These people are "purples," with more emphasis on red. But there are also many Reagan-style and Falwell/Buchanan-style Republicans who are concerned about moral issues, religion, leftist extremism, etc. These are among the "reddest" around.

Though Democrats control the governorship and occupy the US Senate seats, Republicans have a stronger presence at more regional and local levels of government. John Kerry won Wisconsin's electoral votes, but not by much. An amendment effectively banning civil unions was passed just a while back. These various facts show that an average Wisconsinite is just as likely to vote Dem as Republican; a lot of times, incumbency (and not politics per se) is the most powerful factor in a person's voting profile here. In sum, though there are obvious blue patches and red patches, Wisconsin is mostly purple.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:15 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,739,413 times
Default Colorado...

I agree with previous posters, Colorado is undoubtedly a purple state. Most of our elections are VERY close between Republican and Democratic candidates.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:20 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,942,861 times
The states that I consider purple are: Missouri, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin, Maryland, Ohio, New Hampshire, and Indiana.
The plains states always seem to stay red for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or