U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:26 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,857,351 times

Advertisements

bikes in Atlanta's intolerable traffic.

Emory--Decatur--Stone Mt--hard core cyclists can be seen there.

In the sweltering humidity and 90+ degree temps they are out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 07:59 PM

5,861 posts, read 14,068,841 times
Mpls/St Paul has an incredible system. Paved bike paths along the boulevards on both sides of the Mississippi River, which connect with a path that runs for miles along the Minnehaha Creek parkway, around all of the city lakes and into both downtowns. They extend for miles into the suburbs and beyond along old railroad rights-of-way. Also, lots of city streets striped with bike lanes and all 900+ city buses and every light rail train has bike racks. The down side is the frigid winters, but some people commute by bike even then.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:13 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,918,613 times
St. Louis is a great city for biking. there is a huge bike trail through Forest Park, down Wydown Blvd. into Clayton, and also along the Katy Trail which parallels the Missouri River and I-70 westward through Missouri starting in the northwest St. Louis suburbs. Tons of streets sport signage with a bike on it that says "share the road"

Old 06-23-2007, 10:46 PM

832 posts, read 3,559,341 times
Davis, CA is Bike City USA with more bikes per capita than any other city. Everyone bikes.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:15 AM

2,867 posts, read 9,946,406 times
Thumbs up Bike-friendly surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwirk View Post
I've lived in Tucson and L.A....

Tucson has a very nice grid of class 2 bike lanes all over the city that make commuting to and from work very easy. The city streets are laid out like a checkerboard and very flat, so it's an easy place to ride. Tucson is also a bit more liberal of a city so people are more accepting of cyclists. The weather is mostly perfect for cycling, although it can get pretty hot in the summertime.

L.A. isn't what I'd consider a "bike friendly" city although I have more fun riding here than I do in Tucson. Commuting to work can be difficult because a lot of the streets aren't very wide. Some cities and neighborhoods are more bike friendly than others, such as Pasadena and Santa Monica. However there are some really nice class 1 bike lanes that are lots of fun to ride, especially the one that runs all the way down the South Bay beach towns. The weather is as close to perfect as you can get for cycling.
The obvious choices for bike-friendly cities, of course, Portland, OR; Davis, CA; and Boulder, CO. But kwirk touches on some things that I've found to be very true. Bike-route alternatives to major thoroughfares usually exist. You have to look, but they are there. Side streets in residential neighborhoods that dead-end sometimes connect to the next neighborhood with a pedestrian space, park or greenway. It keeps cars away, but bicycles can get through. I travel great distances on alternative routes like these with only the occasional need to use a major boulevard. It takes a little research and knowing your city to find these shortcuts and less trafficked routes, but it's well worth the effort.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:56 PM

232 posts, read 691,201 times
cre8,

Great post! I'll have to remember those tricks. Reminds me of that line from Back to the Future: " Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/3/34/250px-Back_to_the_Future.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-24-2007, 06:19 PM

653 posts, read 3,135,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Mpls/St Paul has an incredible system. Paved bike paths along the boulevards on both sides of the Mississippi River, which connect with a path that runs for miles along the Minnehaha Creek parkway, around all of the city lakes and into both downtowns. They extend for miles into the suburbs and beyond along old railroad rights-of-way. Also, lots of city streets striped with bike lanes and all 900+ city buses and every light rail train has bike racks. The down side is the frigid winters, but some people commute by bike even then.
Glad you mentioned this one. We visited there on several occasions and did notice a lot of bike paths, trails, bike lanes. Also believe it or not Las Vegas/Henderson Nevada has a lot of bike lanes, especially on tne newer streets. Don't see a lot of bikes using them however, too hot in the summer.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:55 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,895,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have heard that the bicycle lanes in Portland, Oregon are wider than the car lanes!
Actually, in a couple places they are...

Old 02-17-2009, 01:00 AM

55,709 posts, read 74,719,468 times
many have them like here, but the problem is the streets got very mean. americans dont grasp that bek they are still in their cars. if you read CDF threads biks mugging are way up and lots and lots of bike car accidents here. someone almost nailed me 3 months ago i put the bike up. all my bicycle friends here got plates and screws in their body.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 AM

536 posts, read 1,951,387 times
Portland seems more bike friendly than anything. I don't mind all the bikers but sometimes it gets annoying especially when streets/bridges shut down for a day for bike events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or