Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:42 PM

23 posts, read 90,583 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to a different state as I've been living in the near the Houston suburbs for a while. Im 19 years old and looking to move to a different state because I am looking for change of scenery. I am basically going to go to a community college there and hopefully gain state residency so I can transfer to a university later on. What place would you recommend for someone who's going to live by himself alone in an apartment that's a college student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:45 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,694,892 times
Richmond, Virginia is a lovely place to start !

Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Tallahassee, Florida
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Tucson, Arizona

Those cities have a community college and a 4 year college. The community college in those cities is essentially a feeder school to the 4 year college. The community college and 4 year college work closely together in those cities. Florida State would be hard to get into regularly but it should be easier if you establish state residency and transfer from the community college. Since these cities have big state universities, there are a lot of apartments for students. These cities will be easy to adjust to if you're from Houston.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:33 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,217 times
Kinda hard to answer, not knowing your likes and dislikes (beaches, mountains, nightlife, pro sports, what profession are you aiming for). If it were me, I'd head to either Jacksonville FL, Knoxville TN, Raleigh NC or Columbia SC. I'm a fan of living in the SE, but you'll get more replies if you get a bit more specific.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:48 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,069 times
State residency generally requires a lot more than going to a community college.

You will have to prove you are independent from your parents/guardians, meaning they can't claim you on the taxes. If you cannot, then your residency is determined by where they reside.

Some states also will not give you state residency if you have only lived in the state incident to college enrollment.

You will need to check each state's residency requirements, as renting an apartment and going to the community college generally will not qualify you for in state tuition.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:04 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
You have to live in a state for a certain time period (ranges from 6 months to 2 years) to establish state residency. Even if the OP was an out of state student at the community college, he would probably be in state by the time he started at the regular college.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:32 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
We need more info. Budget, urban or suburban, weather, etc.

You could look into St. Louis. Good colleges in the area, including a few community colleges. Low cost of living. There's the Central West End area, which seems to be a college student's domain.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:49 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
wow, very vague.
i can say Barrow, Alaska with it being the perfect match because i don't know your preferences or your pros and cons.

But when i turned 18 i went to Community college then transferred into a university also. I lived in Jersey City with my girl friend, her friend, and my friend. It had great night life, it was pretty affordable, it was VERY close to NYC, and it had a great variety of diversity.
I was glad with where i started my adult life in Jersey City.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:09 PM

23 posts, read 90,583 times
My budget isn't too high, i'm probably going to rent an apartment around 400-600 dollars a month. Weather I don't really care for as long as it isn't super cold.

I was thinking of somewhere in florida or arizona but I'm not sure yet. Might be an exciting place to live. I want a place that is in a middle/upper class suburb that is close to a city where there is a lot to do.

I don't think California is realistic for me right, as it is way out of my budget range.

Also, a city that isn't old or anything, as in having new shops and stores.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasty32 View Post
I am considering moving to a different state as I've been living in the near the Houston suburbs for a while. Im 19 years old and looking to move to a different state because I am looking for change of scenery. I am basically going to go to a community college there and hopefully gain state residency so I can transfer to a university later on. What place would you recommend for someone who's going to live by himself alone in an apartment that's a college student?
Well remember Texas offers lots of diversity when it comes to topography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.