U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,147 posts, read 9,932,098 times
Reputation: 6429

Advertisements

Come on now, this is just silly. Religion is the cause of all wars in history?

I mean look at our own history. Did we break away from Great Britain during the Revolution because the British are a different religion? Did we have Round 2 in the War of 1812 because of Religion?

Many Northern church leaders were abolitionists but the Civil War was not a religious war either. Either was the Spanish American War or WW1.

Did Japan bomb Pearl Harbor and Manilia because we are not Shinto? I think not. The list goes on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 PM
 
Location: MINNESOTA
1,178 posts, read 2,362,256 times
Reputation: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Come on now, this is just silly. Religion is the cause of all wars in history?

I mean look at our own history. Did we break away from Great Britain during the Revolution because the British are a different religion? Did we have Round 2 in the War of 1812 because of Religion?

Many Northern church leaders were abolitionists but the Civil War was not a religious war either. Either was the Spanish American War or WW1.

Did Japan bomb Pearl Harbor and Manilia because we are not Shinto? I think not. The list goes on and on.

OMG. Yes. Go read up on your history silly. I can't believe I just read that.

and.. really? Because the majority of Slave Owners claimed it was their 'God Given Right to Own Slaves'

plus, 'History' goes a lot further than your little history book too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 PM
X72
 
14 posts, read 22,847 times
Reputation: 19
I think that younger Americans are less religious than older Americans. That is true. I think the cause is the media and the culture are changing, and they are the ones that influence people to become less religious. I also think that colleges today teach things that are anti-thetical to the Christian religion. Enviornmentalism and teaching kids to respect people's religious differences has the unintended consequences of making young Americans less religious (Christian). Also, the popularity of new media such as the Harry Potter and the emergence of the New Age movement I think also has the effect of decreasing young people's (and old) attachment to the Christian religion. Also, young people are less religious because they are more focused on surviving. In older America, I think you could focus on family, God, and country more because you just got out of high school and do work at a manufacturing plant or farm and that'll be enough to buy a house and live comfortably with a nuclear family. Not anymore, the world has gotten to competitive and you don't know when your next paycheck will arrive thus young people can seem "materialistic and uncaring and against God" by older people but how can you blame young people for acting like that? In this economy especially with the internet has come, the world has gotten too competitive that they need do that in order to simply survive. I think that if the type of economy changes to a more equitable and less competitive one, then young people can focus more on spirituality however I think the global trend is more towards holistic New Age type spirituality that teaches that all religions lead to God/Allah/Buddha/Krishna/Great Spirit/All That Is/Tao and less towards traditional Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Southeast Arizona
3,191 posts, read 4,143,651 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
OMG. Yes. Go read up on your history silly. I can't believe I just read that.

and.. really? Because the majority of Slave Owners claimed it was their 'God Given Right to Own Slaves'

plus, 'History' goes a lot further than your little history book too.
American Revolution->Strictly breaking away from England. No religious causes.

War of 1812, same.

Mexican-American War->Territory.

American Civil War->Slavery, States rights and a plethora of others, not really religious.

Spanish-American War->Territory/Imperialism.

WWI->Europe's first throwdown, no religious causes.

WWII->Hitler and revenge, only one religious cause, Hitler was agnostic on a bad day, otherwise Occultist.

Cold War and all wars thereof-Control of the world.

so there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:18 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,147 posts, read 9,932,098 times
Reputation: 6429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
OMG. Yes. Go read up on your history silly. I can't believe I just read that.

and.. really? Because the majority of Slave Owners claimed it was their 'God Given Right to Own Slaves'

plus, 'History' goes a lot further than your little history book too.
Thats funny, the Civil War began because "Because the majority of Slave Owners claimed it was their 'God Given Right to Own Slaves'". I thought it was because South Carolina and other states declared their independence after the Election of Abraham Lincoln.

I guess it was good thing though. Because using YOUR little history book, we might still have slavery if it was not for religion.

Since you MUST know about history than me, can you explain how religion caused the American Revolution and the Spanish-American War?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,256 posts, read 11,980,795 times
Reputation: 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Thats funny, the Civil War began because "Because the majority of Slave Owners claimed it was their 'God Given Right to Own Slaves'". I thought it was because South Carolina and other states declared their independence after the Election of Abraham Lincoln.

I guess it was good thing though. Because using YOUR little history book, we might still have slavery if it was not for religion.

Since you MUST know about history than me, can you explain how religion caused the American Revolution and the Spanish-American War?
What Al qaeda has been doing and what the Nazi's did are probably the worst events the world has ever experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 PM
 
Location: MINNESOTA
1,178 posts, read 2,362,256 times
Reputation: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Thats funny, the Civil War began because "Because the majority of Slave Owners claimed it was their 'God Given Right to Own Slaves'". I thought it was because South Carolina and other states declared their independence after the Election of Abraham Lincoln.

I guess it was good thing though. Because using YOUR little history book, we might still have slavery if it was not for religion.

Since you MUST know about history than me, can you explain how religion caused the American Revolution and the Spanish-American War?
You're so ignorant. You do understand that history of humans and civilazation goes back further than the Revolutionary War? I have yet to hear of anything besides "The Korean Conflict, Vietnam, Civil War, Revolutionary War, and Desert Storm"

Oh yeah, the Revolutionary War was fought in part to fight the increased authority of the Anglican Church in America. Loyalists feared the Church and it's authority that they witnessed in England and their king.

Also the rise of the Baptist Church in the South played a giant role in the Southerner's beliefs that it was their God given right to Own Slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 PM
 
Location: MINNESOTA
1,178 posts, read 2,362,256 times
Reputation: 499
Ok, ok, so I probably should not have said 'Religion is to blame for every conflict in the history of civilization'... I get that. But one should not dismiss the fact that Religion has an underlying theme that cannot be overseen. And that is either the direct, or indirect result in major Conflict, whether that conflict is war, protest or genocide.

Religion and faith play giant roles in people's lives. How can you say that they don't have some kind of role? To some people their religion means more than life itself and are willing to leave life behind for the better good of their religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:40 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,147 posts, read 9,932,098 times
Reputation: 6429
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
What Al qaeda has been doing and what the Nazi's did are probably the worst events the world has ever experienced.
Agreed, but what does that have to do with my post? I am countering someone who made a incorrect comment that "Religion is the cause of EVERY major conflict in the history of the world". Page 2 post 14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:40 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 23,004,615 times
Reputation: 6692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Who are 'they'? Because you most definitely do not get 'taught' any of the knowledge I know. When my peers are buyin' video games and drinkin' beers, I'm reading books bigger than my head on this type of stuff.
7 wars in the history of mankind. Nice try.
Your statement was not that many wars are religious in nature. You said "Religion is the cause of every single major conflict in the history of the world" so all I needed is one example to rebut that. Seven was more than sufficient, but I could do more.

BBC aside I don't think either World War could really be deemed a religious war as such. The An Lushan Rebellion I don't recall being religious in nature. (I thought maybe it involved Islam, but that looks to be wrong even) The War of the Triple Alliance, the one that devastated Paraguay, was not religious in nature. Chaco War between Bolivia and Paraguay. The Opium War was about trade rather than religion so far as I know. Then there's various internecine fighting that occurred in China during the Pre-Communist Republic. The Sino-Japanese War. And the Africa Egyptian-Ottoman War was largely about ambition and land.

I could look for more if you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top