U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:44 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,598,957 times

Advertisements

Younger Americans, I'm going to say those born after 1980, seem less religious than older Americans, don't you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 06:09 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,040,673 times
I agree, however young people everywhere aren't. People truly think about the big questions more later in life.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:13 AM

7,492 posts, read 6,483,583 times
I don't hang with the under-20 crowd, but those that I know personally, or through my work, tend to be less focused on abstracts, and more focused on the realities of their day to day lives.

Looking back, I had a casual interest in my spiritual life, but it was not until my later years (and their accompanying failures) that I understood I needed to listen to the voice in my heart, and not the one in my head.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:04 AM
JBM

558 posts, read 932,985 times
I'm a younger person... Myself and all my friends are non-religious, atheist, agnostic. I have one christian friend yet he's rejected most all the major tenants of the faith. Seems to be a trend in the western world,younger are not that religious. Trend is finally hitting the US.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,655,038 times
I've never really assumed younger folks to be as religious as their parents, because in many circumstances children are being encouraged or forced to follow their parents' beliefs. The trend might be heading toward allowing children to develop their own beliefs.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:44 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,988,108 times
Religion Among the Millennials - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

That seems to be about the religiosity of those under 30. Young people are considerably more unaffiliated and considerably less Protestant. They list about 7% of them as atheist or agnostic compared to three percent of those over 30. They are twice as likely to be unaffiliated as under-30 people of the 1970s. They also attend church less and are even less likely to pray daily.

However their belief in Heaven, Angels, and Miracles looks about average according to that. Those under-30 are actually slightly more likely to believe in Hell than those over 65. Black Protestants under 30 seem to have a greater belief in Heaven, Angels, Miracles, etc than older Black Protestants. In general Black Protestants under 30 look about the same as older Black Protestants on all issues they mention. (Importance of religion, church attendance, specific beliefs, etc. Although they are much less likely to read scripture, pray, or meditate daily) Mainline Protestants are significantly more likely to believe in Heaven and Hell if they are under 30. Their views on the Bible are about the same regardless of age.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,397,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I'm a younger person... Myself and all my friends are non-religious, atheist, agnostic. I have one christian friend yet he's rejected most all the major tenants of the faith. Seems to be a trend in the western world,younger are not that religious. Trend is finally hitting the US.
Same here, I'm 30, so not that young, but everyone I know at work or as friends are far from religious. It's never come up in conversation, and I only know of two friends that attend church on some Sundays. They're always really hungover and dread it - but it's just a habit and they follow the routine to get their parents off their backs. Mostly it's a guilt thing from younger people as far as I've noticed.

Both my parents abandoned religion when they were 18, so I grew up not being exposed to it at all. I'm actually pretty greatful for that as I see myself as very open minded to thoughts and ideas based on rational and current day reasoning.

I don't mind or care at all if anyone or everyone wants to be religious, but when people start shoving it down my throat or "pittying" me for not believeing - well that does nothing but turn someone off and make them roll their eyes.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,375,464 times
I am not religious but I think this overall trend is comforting considering some of the conservative beliefs that have made same sex marriage illegal. It gives me hope that there is an end to such ignorance. I am all for people being religious or spiritual, but I really think like a lot of other things that it is best when it is personal and done with others of the same faith without the larger impact on society.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:31 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,119,659 times
My thought is how much of this is a backlash against Evangelical Protestants?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:48 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,156,982 times
I was born in 1990 so I feel qualified to speak on this lol. It's true that alotta kids don't really pay all that much attention to religion, but it's always looked like it was more about being wrapped up in their own lives than having some kind of bad feelings against it to me. Also, alotta really young kids do take to religion if their parents do, but the thing is I think alotta parents are "irreligious" too.
I also grew up Catholic and spent tons of time with other Catholic kids and there seemed to be three main groups, the indifferent ones who didn't exactly not believe, they just didn't get into the "ritual", the ones that totally believed and did it all gladly, and the ones who were being forced into things like confirmation and hated it and wanted nothing to do with it.
Anyway, it's true that alotta kids are "irreligious", but I think some older people would be really surprised at how many are religious, traditionally (like going to church), and not (just believing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or