U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2010, 02:03 PM
 
56,609 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12505

Advertisements

Except for taxes and that can vary, Upstate NY would be great. Cost of living is lower than many Southern metros and it is generally family friendly. Syracuse has a stable housing market and 4 seasons. Schools are generally good and it's an area in a great location, as you can get to many major cities in the US and Canada within 6 hours or less. Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Onondaga County, New York

Onondaga County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might like areas like Rochester, Buffalo, Albany and Ithaca, among some others too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 PM
 
Location: The City
22,331 posts, read 32,157,756 times
Reputation: 7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Except for taxes and that can vary, Upstate NY would be great. Cost of living is lower than many Southern metros and it is generally family friendly. Syracuse has a stable housing market and 4 seasons. Schools are generally good and it's an area in a great location, as you can get to many major cities in the US and Canada within 6 hours or less. Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Onondaga County, New York

Onondaga County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might like areas like Rochester, Buffalo, Albany and Ithaca, among some others too.

Also some good choices and a bit cooler in the summer months!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 02:31 PM
 
53 posts, read 103,660 times
Reputation: 27
Thanks Kidphilly, your knowledge of property taxes is more than most realtors that I have talked to! Thanks for your input on heat. I would rather have 100 degrees in PA any day compared to 100 degrees in TX. I wish the weather people would also give us the temp. in the sun. The same 100 degrees would be vastly different in my opinion. I can personally stay outside for hours in the PA summer heat and attain no sunburn. 15 minutes of central TX sun will cause a nice burn on me . I would assume someone from AZ could make the same point to me in TX. I did not know that realtor.com has info. on property taxes. This is a site I often visit. Thanks again for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 AM
 
53 posts, read 103,660 times
Reputation: 27
Verseau, may I ask what you think of Maine and Vermont, but especially Maine. Please be completely blunt since it's important to me. I really like NH on paper based on Taxes, but I have to admit home prices in Maine seem much cheaper (north of Portland) and since they have an income tax it may help since I am not a large wage earner and my home will most definitely be my largest asset that will be taxed. Anyone else who may have an opinion please fee free to post also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 07:47 AM
 
Location: New Hampshire
2,257 posts, read 6,971,255 times
Reputation: 4061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapha View Post
Verseau, may I ask what you think of Maine and Vermont, but especially Maine. Please be completely blunt since it's important to me. I really like NH on paper based on Taxes, but I have to admit home prices in Maine seem much cheaper (north of Portland) and since they have an income tax it may help since I am not a large wage earner and my home will most definitely be my largest asset that will be taxed. Anyone else who may have an opinion please fee free to post also.
I love both states. They do have much higher overall tax burdens than NH, but if you can save on a cheaper home then that may not be a problem. Not knowing every factor of your financial situation, I couldn't calculate that.

The main other reason why I suggested NH over Vermont and Maine (specifically north of Portland) is that most places in VT and ME are more isolated and farther from a city of 150,000+ people (namely, Boston). However, if you look for places that aren't too far from Portland or Burlington, you will still be in close proximity to all the amenities you seem to be looking for, including airports. Although Portland is a bit larger than Burlington and may offer more amenities, Burlington is relatively close to Montreal.

NH also enjoys a somewhat better job market, largely thanks to its closer connections to the Boston metro area, but in your case it may not matter. Otherwise, all the states seem to be offering exactly what you're looking for: extremely low crime, pristine nature, comfortable summer temperatures. As for Maine, make sure that the houses you're looking at aren't farther from Portland than you'd like; Maine becomes very isolated the farther north and east you go in the state, and naturally these areas are going to be cheaper because they're less desirable to live in for most people.

ME and VT are both just as beautiful as NH. VT has the Green Mountains, rolling hills, pastures, farmland and Lake Champlain. ME has endless forest wilderness and the incredible Atlantic coastline. I really love both states, but especially Maine, and I think this would be the better choice of the two. As long as you stay along the coast up to, say, the Bath area, or near the I-95 corridor between Portland and Augusta, there's going to be a lot more options of stuff to do with the kids than if you lived in a small town most places in Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 08:08 AM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,969,609 times
Reputation: 1661
Maine taxes seem to be pretty high. I don't think taxes in Vermont are as bad. That seems like a good fit for you. Burlington you might like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 09:30 AM
 
53 posts, read 103,660 times
Reputation: 27
Thanks Verseau and TANaples.

Verseau, may I ask what towns you like in NH? I know you mentioned Merideth are there any others? Also, please consider their property tax rate it would be good to hear your thoughts. Lastly, do you think Meredith has enough amenities so one does not have to drive often to Manchester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 AM
 
Location: New Hampshire
2,257 posts, read 6,971,255 times
Reputation: 4061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapha View Post
Thanks Verseau and TANaples.

Verseau, may I ask what towns you like in NH? I know you mentioned Merideth are there any others? Also, please consider their property tax rate it would be good to hear your thoughts. Lastly, do you think Meredith has enough amenities so one does not have to drive often to Manchester?
The area around Meredith tends to have property taxes that are lower than the state average, and the housing prices are also cheaper than further south in the state. Meredith has one of the lowest tax rates in the area; Center Harbor and Alton are also quite low (but these are smaller towns). You'll find somewhat higher taxes in the larger nearby towns, like Gilford, Laconia, Belmont, and Tilton. But they're all worth looking into.

There's pretty much no reason to go to Manchester for anything (except the airport) if you live in Meredith. The vast majority of amenities can be found in Laconia, Tilton, or Gilford; and most everything else is in Concord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 12:51 PM
 
Location: QUEENS
447 posts, read 1,371,582 times
Reputation: 130
What city do you want to be near?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top