U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM

449 posts, read 828,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore_88 View Post
Good evening!

I am born and raised in London, England. I am currently living with my wife who is pregnant with twin girls, we are both ages 31, with my wife being a Vet, and me an Architect . We have decided on the idea of moving to America, but have no idea where. Heres what we look for;

We can easily do heats up to 90 degrees.
We are not made of money, but can easily buy an $800,000 home.
We want to live in coastal area preferably, but not an must
Be in the suburbs of a big city.
Whilst crime rates need to be low, we want to live in a district where schooling is Number One
We don't really do cold winters.
We currently live in a London suburban gated community, which is a real nice place to live, want something similar.
Really want to embrace the "American" lifestyle.

Thanks in advance.
Alexander Gilmore
"We are not made of money, but can easily buy an $800,000 home."
So in other words - yes you are.

Why move to the US? You will probably find us much more rude than you are used to - not as bad as the French though. But if you have your mind made up I would suggest S. Florida. Anywhere from Miami to Boca Ratton. Or, somewhere in California. Florida is more tropical - Cali is more normal but only with lots of nut jobs. Try those forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Quote:
I am not too sure. I hear that the East has terrible Hurricanes, and is prone to "hillbillies".
And west has earthquakes, and is prone to materialistic arrogant types.
haha, those are hard core stereotypes. Earthquakes happen once every few decades, and east coast hurricanes are really only a yearly threat in Florida. I'm not sure why there would be hillbillies in large urban areas on the east coast, and everyone is materialistic. Not just the west coast.

If you're buying an $800K house with good schools - there's a 95% chance that your community isn't going to have much crime. Violent crime here is highly segregated in impoverished areas with poor schools and bad economics.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,463,600 times
If I had 800k to spend on a house I would not waste it in expensive coastal cities where it will buy you much less house than you could have elsewhere. Look at the midwest or south and 800k house means you live like a king. In my state of Michigan 800k would get you a very very large house and hundreds of acres of wooded land. Now Michigan has a bad economy so we are pretty much the cheapest state in the union to buy a house. However the southern states do have a better economy and home prices are still very much cheaper than the coastal areas. In Tennessee for example you could own your own mountain top with a huge home for that price. Anywhere in the south or midwest you could have a huge waterfront home for 800k. How about a big home on Lake Michigan, yea you could have that too. If you have that kind of cash then make it work for you.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:32 PM

884 posts, read 1,523,768 times
Quote:
Hmm. Henderson,NV looks great. Anyone live there ?
Henderson is a nice town, but DO NOT move there if you don't want hotter than 90 degrees like you mentioned. It gets up to 110 this time of year in the Las Vegas area.

If there's one area in the Southwest I can recommend, it's Flagstaff, Arizona. It's higher than 6000 feet in elevation, so the summers are cooler than the rest - wait. I forgot that you don't do winter weather. Nevermind! (I know I could have just deleted this, but I thought it would be amusing to just post my mistake. )

I'm on board with the people saying Seattle. It rarely snows in winter, you'll mostly just get light rain. The summers are actually very sunny and it does not get hot. Your $800K budget should be no problem at all, even though it is a more expensive area, and the earthquake risk in WA is considerably less than CA - however, that doesn't mean that you won't get earthquakes. They can be a serious threat, but it's better than moving to Los Angeles where they've been expecting "the big one" every day for the past 10 years.

Seattle is also close to the mountains and the beautiful volcanoes that lie outside of town. You can learn to ski also!

Seattle is actually my birthplace, and I one day wish to go back to live there. It's a great city!

Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 AM

613 posts, read 977,964 times
Quote:
Thanks for that. I have been looking at the Seattle Area, which seems quite nice. For the record, the rain in England is totally over-hyped in foreign countries. It really dosent rain here that much, seriously. I am afraid that say we did move to Seattle, there would be more rain than we expected.
I would look into Bellevue, WA and Issaquah, WA. Great schools.

The rain is Seattle is not significant. Only around 36 inches a year. Just a lot of grey skies and light drizzle in the winter. Coming from England, you'll have no problems.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 12,558 times
Guys thanks for all your help. I know it sounds odd, and irresponsible, but i remember in the American Pie films, that Michigan looked quite nice. I especially like the idea of being near a lake where we could fish, maybe thats why i suggested coastal. Tell me more about Michigan. I hear Grand Rapids is nice. Any places around Michigan which suits my criteria ?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:55 AM

705 posts, read 1,442,838 times
You can live like a king but it comes at a cost, lack of culture for a kickoff.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,091,952 times
Might look at Texas like Dallas,Houston or Austin

Austin
Austin Texas - Events, Austin Hotels & Attractions, Convention Information, Guides, and More - ACVB
GACC | The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce :: Austin, Texas

Dallas
Dallas Events, Hotels, Meetings, Shopping, Dining, and More! - VisitDallas.com
Home - Dallas Regional Chamber

Houston
Visit Houston Texas - Houston Tourism, Houston Events, Special Offers, Info & More! - Greater Houston CVB
Greater Houston Partnership | Advocacy for Houston's Business Community

The Texas board of Education website has ratings for all the school districts in Texas I know Austin has some good schools i'm shure the Dallas and Houston areas do also.

Texas Education Agency - SBOE - State Board of Education

Last edited by bgrn198; 07-23-2010 at 12:36 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 12:31 PM

6,226 posts, read 6,844,561 times
Quote:
I am not too sure. I hear that the East has terrible Hurricanes, and is prone to "hillbillies".
And west has earthquakes, and is prone to materialistic arrogant types.
What's wrong with hillbillys? Most, if not all, come from the UK originally. By the way, save up for your health insurance if you come to this country. And believe me you'll love it to death.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:03 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,540,992 times
Quote:
Guys thanks for all your help. I know it sounds odd, and irresponsible, but i remember in the American Pie films, that Michigan looked quite nice. I especially like the idea of being near a lake where we could fish, maybe thats why i suggested coastal. Tell me more about Michigan. I hear Grand Rapids is nice. Any places around Michigan which suits my criteria ?
My wife is from Michigan, so I go there every once in a while, though I'm hardly an expert. If you can't deal with cold weather, you definitely do not want to live in Michigan, where the winters are brutally cold with tons of snow. As danielj72 said, Michigan also has one of the worst economies in the country due largely to over-reliance on the automobile industry, though if you can find work, you could live spectacularly well with the resources you have.

That said, you say you want to embrace the American lifestyle, and Michigan is definitely a great place for that. My wife happens to be from East Lansing, which is a nice, suburban, all-American university town with a youthful vibe due to the presence of almost 50,000 students. However, most people prefer Michigan's other big university town, Ann Arbor, which has a vibrant arts and culture scene and sometimes makes it onto Best Places to Live lists. I also understand the job market isn't so bad there as in the rest of the state. Both those places have very good schools.

I've heard very good things about both Grand Rapids and especially the funnily named Kalamazoo.

You did say you wanted to be in the suburbs of a big city. Michigan's only big city is Detroit, which probably has the worst reputation of any city in America. A trip to Detroit can be a depressing experience -- for my favorite example, check out Michigan Central Station, the most beautiful abandoned building I've ever personally seen, complete with blown-out windows and crumbling stonework. Some Detroit suburbs are quite nice, but do you really want to live in a city's suburbs if Detroit is the city? A lot of people don't, which is why many of the suburbs have seen decline as well.

I can also tell you that people in Michigan greatly value the great outdoors -- rivers, lakes, woods -- so if that appeals to you, it's something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.