U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:11 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,145,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
You can live like a king but it comes at a cost, lack of culture for a kickoff.
LOL, yeah, California has the only "culture" in the US. LOL What a load of BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 07:15 PM

447 posts, read 1,370,914 times
Suburban Miami seems like it would be a good fit.
Choose the right suburb as some can be filled with crime. Miami has a thriving Latin culture and is 66% Hispanic with the majority coming from Cuba and many immigrants from Haiti,Dominican Republic,
Puerto Rico,Jamaica and other Caribbean countries. Stay away from the city of Miami as it is filled with crime,drugs,and gangs. Miami has a thriving drug-trade due to it being near Cuba. In the affluent suburbs It is a great place to raise a family and have fun. Miami has a thriving night life with bars and clubs that last all night. The weather is spectacular and remains warm all year long. The beaches are the best in the country.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Miami_Collage_20090326-2.png (broken link)

Old 07-23-2010, 07:26 PM

705 posts, read 1,442,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
LOL, yeah, California has the only "culture" in the US. LOL What a load of BS.
London to Michigan would be an epic culture shock, don't kid yourself . California isn't the only place with culture, but comparing the two states is like comparing night and day.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Suburban Miami seems like it would be a good fit.
Choose the right suburb as some can be filled with crime. Miami has a thriving Latin culture and is 66% Hispanic with the majority coming from Cuba and many immigrants from Haiti,Dominican Republic,
Puerto Rico,Jamaica and other Caribbean countries. Stay away from the city of Miami as it is filled with crime,drugs,and gangs. Miami has a thriving drug-trade due to it being near Cuba. In the affluent suburbs It is a great place to raise a family and have fun. Miami has a thriving night life with bars and clubs that last all night. The weather is spectacular and remains warm all year long. The beaches are the best in the country.

some pics of the city

Downtown Miami

http://www.constecrealty.com/images/areas/Miami-XII_1.jpg (broken link)

A local Beach

Downtown Miami

Clubs in Miami

Hotels in Miami

Impoverished neighborhood of the Miami known as Liberty City.

A typical Winter day in Miami

Old 07-23-2010, 08:31 PM

449 posts, read 828,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore_88 View Post
Guys thanks for all your help. I know it sounds odd, and irresponsible, but i remember in the American Pie films, that Michigan looked quite nice. I especially like the idea of being near a lake where we could fish, maybe thats why i suggested coastal. Tell me more about Michigan. I hear Grand Rapids is nice. Any places around Michigan which suits my criteria ?
Are you nuts? MI is a disaster. If you want to be up North in God's country, MI has plenty of that. But jobs here are few and far between and people are fleeing. And then there are the gray skys and not seeing sunlight for months at a time.

It depends what you are looking for. Do you want to live in the sicks? Big city? Nice weather?

If I could live anywhere I would be looking at California or the Ft Lauderdale, FL area. Maybe Texas or the Carolinas or Virginia or something. What ever you do, stay out of the rust belt.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,452,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore_88 View Post
Guys thanks for all your help. I know it sounds odd, and irresponsible, but i remember in the American Pie films, that Michigan looked quite nice. I especially like the idea of being near a lake where we could fish, maybe thats why i suggested coastal. Tell me more about Michigan. I hear Grand Rapids is nice. Any places around Michigan which suits my criteria ?

I have lived in Michigan all my life so I will do my best to describe it. Michigan being a midwest state has a slower pace of life than what you will find on the coasts. Most of the state is either wooded or agricultural. The only large urban area is in the southeast part of the state (Detroit). Dont even think about Detroit, it is as bad as its reputation. Ive never seen a more depressing place. Detroit however is absolutely nothing like the rest of Michigan. Michigans climat is a bit extreme, as we get some harsh cold winters and warm humid summers. People here spend thier free time doing alot of outdoors type things. Many own boats or travel trailers, people hunt and fish, hike, ride snowmobiles and skiing. I do believe you would get the full American experience out of Michigan. Michigan does have alot of beautiful scenery, and some of its smaller cities are quite nice. You mentioned Grand Rapids which is our second largest city, this would most match your criteria. There are good schools and universities in that area, and you can live a suburban lifestyle. The city is small enough though that you have quick access to the outdoors and especially Lake Michigan. Another great town is Traverse City, probably the nicest city in Michigan as it sits on the Grand Traverse bay surrounded by hills and woods. Traverse City area has some winerys, lots of festivals and in general is considered a tourist area. Michigans biggest drawback is its bad economy. Jobs are very difficult to get, but if you can land a job the cost of living here is dirt cheap. As I said in my previous post to you 800k could buy you a true palace here. One of the posts claimed that London to Michigan would be "an epic culture shock", I must admit this could be true. However if a city like Grand Rapids could provide you with enough culture and urban amenities, Michigan could give you access to the outdoors and nature that you have never experienced in a place like London. Another thing to consider is the fact that Wisconsin is very much like Michigan and its economy is a little bit better. Good luck and welcome to the USA when you get here.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 PM

Default Fact bout the city

Some facts about Miami.

Race demographics:
Black/African American:22.0%
Native American:0.1%
Asian:0.8%
Hispanic/Latino:69.4%
White:10.5%

Population:
City:433,000
Metro:5,400,000

Crime

Murders in 2007:78 homicides in the city of Miami in 2007
(63 homicides in 2008)

Rapes in 2007:57 rapes in 2007 (42 rapes in 2008)

Assaults in 2007:3,447 Assaults in 2007 (3,189 Assaults in 2008)

Robberies in 2007:2,537 Robberies in 2007
(2,415 robberies in 2008)

Overall, Miami is your average large city in terms of crime. Most crime is concentrated in poor neighborhoods. Most forms of crime declined from 2007-2008.

http://www.elocinnire.com/miami/images/miami_night3_resize.jpg (broken link)

http://www.iifc-hq.org/cice2006/graphics/South_beach_miami_at_night.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by nycistheplace2; 07-23-2010 at 10:19 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,145,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
Are you nuts? MI is a disaster. If you want to be up North in God's country, MI has plenty of that. But jobs here are few and far between and people are fleeing. And then there are the gray skys and not seeing sunlight for months at a time..
LOL!! Nothing like a LOT of exaggeration I see. "No sunlight for months at a time". That is the biggest load of horse crap I have read in a long time (and that is saying a LOT on C-D.)

Old 07-23-2010, 10:15 PM

800k will buy this in Miami

http://www.repohomesinflorida.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/miami-fl-repo-homes.jpg (broken link)

some more pics of this vibrant city:

The NBA team the Miami Heat

There are several murals painted throughout the city such as this.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
LOL!! Nothing like a LOT of exaggeration I see. "No sunlight for months at a time". That is the biggest load of horse crap I have read in a long time (and that is saying a LOT on C-D.)

Michigan has no jobs. It has no BIG cities apart from Detroit which is a very bad place to live in. So I don't think he should move there unless he wants to live in the burbs of Detroit which are very vibrant compared to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.