U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2010, 05:22 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 34,191,205 times
Reputation: 16839

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Michigan has no jobs. It has no BIG cities apart from Detroit which is a very bad place to live in. So I don't think he should move there unless he wants to live in the burbs of Detroit which are very vibrant compared to the city.
Actually if you look, I never said the OP would like MI if they were looking for really big cities. As for jobs, yes Michigan has jobs, you just have to have the skills needed for those jobs. The days of being a high school drop-out and landing a plush Union job are gone though. No skills=no job. Just like everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2010, 05:31 AM
 
34,443 posts, read 41,547,959 times
Reputation: 29906
Charleston or Savannah would give you the heat in summer and mild winters,
Somewhat on the ocean with easy access to beaches..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 09:10 AM
 
449 posts, read 829,742 times
Reputation: 399
News flash: Two posters posting lies in this forum will not to improve the reality of Detroit and the surrounding suburbs. The city has spent millions of dollars on TV adds trying to do it and that didn't work. What makes you think a couple guys on an internet forum are going to make it happen.

Fact is, even the suburbs which were formerly some of the most affluent suburbs in the Country are crushed at the moment. The problem is that most of our economy was based on the automotive industry and when GM and Chrysler tanked, it created a ripple effect that devastated our entire economy. One can now drive through Bloomfield Hills which was the wealthiest City per capita in the US for decades and see multi-million dollar homes with foreclosure stickers on them. Just about everyone that owns a home owes far more than what they can sell it for and a lot of people are simply walking away from their mortgages.

Also, business' are closing left and right because nobody has any money and isn't spending. And I'm not just talking mom and pop places but big box stores too. Near me we have lost a JC Penny, Men's Warehouse, Boater's Supply, Kohl's, etc. I personally know building contractors that were successful for decades and are now dropping like flies. Entire shopping centers built before the lending crisis are now sitting vacant.

If we could get our house together and bring business to the area it would certainly help. But lying to some guy and his wife to get them to move here from the UK isn't going to revive the economy. I can not comment on Grand Rapids because I've never been there, but I wouldn't advise anyone to move to the metro Detroit area right now. It is one of the hardest hit areas by this recession and most of us are trying to find out how to get the hell out. And BTW, it is absolutely true that the sky is gray damn near all winter long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
705 posts, read 1,444,020 times
Reputation: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
News flash: Two posters posting lies in this forum will not to improve the reality of Detroit and the surrounding suburbs. The city has spent millions of dollars on TV adds trying to do it and that didn't work. What makes you think a couple guys on an internet forum are going to make it happen.

Fact is, even the suburbs which were formerly some of the most affluent suburbs in the Country are crushed at the moment. The problem is that most of our economy was based on the automotive industry and when GM and Chrysler tanked, it created a ripple effect that devastated our entire economy. One can now drive through Bloomfield Hills which was the wealthiest City per capita in the US for decades and see multi-million dollar homes with foreclosure stickers on them. Just about everyone that owns a home owes far more than what they can sell it for and a lot of people are simply walking away from their mortgages.

Also, business' are closing left and right because nobody has any money and isn't spending. And I'm not just talking mom and pop places but big box stores too. Near me we have lost a JC Penny, Men's Warehouse, Boater's Supply, Kohl's, etc. I personally know building contractors that were successful for decades and are now dropping like flies. Entire shopping centers built before the lending crisis are now sitting vacant.

If we could get our house together and bring business to the area it would certainly help. But lying to some guy and his wife to get them to move here from the UK isn't going to revive the economy. I can not comment on Grand Rapids because I've never been there, but I wouldn't advise anyone to move to the metro Detroit area right now. It is one of the hardest hit areas by this recession and most of us are trying to find out how to get the hell out. And BTW, it is absolutely true that the sky is gray damn near all winter long.
Yikes, hope you make it out to another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 10:49 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 34,191,205 times
Reputation: 16839
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
News flash: Two posters posting lies in this forum will not to improve the reality of Detroit and the surrounding suburbs. The city has spent millions of dollars on TV adds trying to do it and that didn't work. What makes you think a couple guys on an internet forum are going to make it happen.
One of us happens to NOT be talking about Detroit OR it's suburbs. There is a LOT more to the state than the armpit in the Southeast. Most people are smart enough to realize that one area that makes up less than 10% of a state total area, does NOT indicate how ALL areas of a state are doing or what the rest of the states economy is based on.

The sky is NOT gray all winter either. What a doof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 11:08 AM
 
1,592 posts, read 3,092,403 times
Reputation: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore_88 View Post
I am not too sure. I hear that the East has terrible Hurricanes, and is prone to "hillbillies".
And west has earthquakes, and is prone to materialistic arrogant types.
Be careful what you read -- much is hugely exagerated. I know lots of peope who live in hurricane central (south Alabama and coastal Florida) and never have a problem. I have lived in a hillbilly area and found the locals to be quite charming.

Given your criteria, I would recommend Northern Virginia. Because you can afford $800K, I would recommend: McLean, Great Falls, and Oakton. If you want a truly anglophile experience (but further out), I would recommend Middleburg. On the Maryland side, you might want to consider Potomac and Bethesda. Those 'hoods are more international in flavor as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 06:24 PM
 
1,586 posts, read 1,545,255 times
Reputation: 2361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Charleston or Savannah would give you the heat in summer and mild winters,
Somewhat on the ocean with easy access to beaches..
I'm not sure how much Charleston and Savannah fit the OP's stipulations, but if he's willing to stretch his requirements a little, they're great options. Charleston probably comes closer than Savannah.

I absolutely love both these cities. They're not big cities, which is why I didn't think of them. Both have similar populations, but the difference is that Charleston is the anchor of a larger metropolitan area, whereas Savannah is pretty much just Savannah. I remember driving down there from Charleston and wondering where the city was -- the landscape looked exactly like it had through the preceding two-hour drive through the country, and my GPS said my hotel was five minutes away. Then I crossed a bridge, and suddenly I was in this beautiful city.

Both places are beautiful, actually. Savannah is more beautiful -- it's been called the prettiest city in America. Its system of public squares every few blocks in the historic district is pretty much the best urban-planning idea anyone ever had. But Charleston also has great old architecture and public spaces.

The food! I'd gone to Barcelona the previous year and thought that was the best food I'd ever had while traveling, but the food in Charleston and Savannah might have been even better. I learned that if you've never had Southern food in the South, you've never really had Southern food. Charleston had the better overall restaurant scene, but Savannah had Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House, maybe the best single meal I've ever had.

The culture of these places isn't what you see in internationally distributed TV shows and movies. It's kind of a different America, but I liked it much more than I was raised to expect as a lifelong Yankee. True to the stereotype, people are very very nice, and there was a sort of everybody-knows-everybody feel. When you get out of the city proper, you start to notice an increasing religious-conservative strain that might make people from secular Europe -- or the secular Northeast of the U.S. -- uncomfortable. South Carolina, for example, offers drivers the option of an "In God We Trust" license plate as a free alternative to the standard one. In Charleston, when at one point I left the downtown area and pulled into a fast-food place in a more residential neighborhood, I noticed that almost every car in the parking lot had the In God We Trust plate. It ain't Seattle, that's for sure. But I think anyone who's comfortable with that atmosphere would be very happy in either city. And these are also sophisticated places with a large degree of ideological diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 06:35 PM
 
9 posts, read 12,566 times
Reputation: 10
Guys, let me tell you how truly inspiring it is to have so many people care about the well being of my wife and I, and how much we both appreciate the fact that you have posted us places to live. Charleston looks quite nice. Another thing i guess i should have added in is that we are both orthodox Jews. Giving up our religion would hurt us, but we would move on, but going somewhere like the Carolinas, where i hear is anti-Semitic, seems pretty dangerous. Is New Mexico any nice? I hear Santa Fe and Albuquerque is also nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 06:42 PM
 
Location: QUEENS
447 posts, read 1,373,244 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore_88 View Post
Guys, let me tell you how truly inspiring it is to have so many people care about the well being of my wife and I, and how much we both appreciate the fact that you have posted us places to live. Charleston looks quite nice. Another thing i guess i should have added in is that we are both orthodox Jews. Giving up our religion would hurt us, but we would move on, but going somewhere like the Carolinas, where i hear is anti-Semitic, seems pretty dangerous. Is New Mexico any nice? I hear Santa Fe and Albuquerque is also nice.
NM has a problem with border control.
It can be nice.
The Carolinas would be anti-Semitic. Its in the South so it might be intolerant.Not always.
Charleston is a small city in SC. A very nice place. Its only around 110,000 people.Not that big of a place.
Not a diverse city at all. Its just White and Black people and no where in between

Last edited by nycistheplace2; 07-24-2010 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 06:48 PM
 
Location: QUEENS
447 posts, read 1,373,244 times
Reputation: 130
As for Santa eE. It is a small city of about 75,000 people. Its mainly Mexican as it is near the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top