U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:09 AM

9 posts, read 12,571 times

Advertisements

Guys thanks so much. I recently found out (last 6 hours) that i have family in Celebration,Florida. Whats this place like? Seems like a real nice place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 01:03 PM

447 posts, read 1,373,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore_88 View Post
Guys thanks so much. I recently found out (last 6 hours) that i have family in Celebration,Florida. Whats this place like? Seems like a real nice place to live.
A small town of 2,500 people.
Its near Orlando,FL which has a serious crime problem.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,546,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Its near Orlando,FL which has a serious crime problem.
Is that true? I'd never heard that before. Wikipedia says violent crime in Orlando dropped 30 percent in 2009, homicides down 43 percent.

Celebration, as I understand, is a model town built by Disney. It's supposed to be a real nice, idyllic place to live, though there have been controversies over the restrictiveness of the many regulations that are supposed to keep it nice. I sort of imagine it like being on vacation all the time, with a slightly unreal feeling, like any Disney development.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 PM

447 posts, read 1,373,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Is that true? I'd never heard that before. Wikipedia says violent crime in Orlando dropped 30 percent in 2009, homicides down 43 percent.

Celebration, as I understand, is a model town built by Disney. It's supposed to be a real nice, idyllic place to live, though there have been controversies over the restrictiveness of the many regulations that are supposed to keep it nice. I sort of imagine it like being on vacation all the time, with a slightly unreal feeling, like any Disney development.

Well Orlando recorded 74 murders 2 years ago. 224,000 people.
Orlando has a bad reputation.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 PM

129 posts, read 162,524 times
Celebration, Florida looks alright but it seems a little too, "perfect" I guess to truly represent everyday America.

If I were you, I'd look at Mahtomedi, MN. It seems to fit everything you'd want. It's a great community with little to no crime and with your budget you could buy an amazing house right on White Bear Lake which is a very, very nice lake with some really good houses on it. Plus Mahtomedi has what many claim to be the best public school district in Minnesota and Minnesota has arguably the best public school schools of any state. I doubt there is a heavy Jewish presense there but I have no doubt 99.9% of the people there will be more than welcoming.

The drawback is obvious though: the winter here are brutal. Expect atleast four months of below freezing weather and planty of snow. If you can handle the winters though, the quality of life in the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area is unbeatable and the summers are heavenly. I would definitely look into Minnesota and Mahtomedi in particular although Edina and Wayzata are quite nice, too. Like Michigan, the outdoors are highly valued here and you can't go five miles witout running into a handful of picturesque lakes. Unlike Michigan however, we also have vibrant urban core cities in Minneapolis and St Paul (refered to as the Twin Cities because they are right next to each other) which are two of the nicest cities in the country wiht more cultural activities than you'll ever need and plenty of opportunities for jobs seeing how we have one of the better economies in the country right now.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:03 AM

529 posts, read 1,024,373 times
haha it seems that everyone on this forum is going to suggest a different place to you.

Might I chime in?

If you are interested in being around a Jewish community, try our Rockland County, NY - just north of NYC. Also, Williamsburg, Brooklyn has a large Jewish presence. I can't speak to the rest of Brooklyn very well, but Rockland County may be just what you're looking for. It's 30 minutes from the largest city in America, it has very affordable homes in the area compared to other suburbs ($800,000 gets you a McMansion on an acre lot). Most of Rockland County is very safe, might I suggest the school district of Clarkstown South - one of the best public schools in the nation. The towns you would live in to be in that district are New City, Nanuet, West Nyack. They are all very diverse, safe, and fun towns to live in!

The only drawback is 4 distinct seasons. I remember you said that you don't want snow. You will get it here, but nowhere near as bad as some places like Michigan or Minnesota.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:50 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,922,310 times
USA - Chabad-Lubavitch Centers
Jewish Organizations and Synagogues Around the Globe!* בתי כנסת

Some of the better schools and colleges are in the northeastern states (Mass, CT). There is an old synogogue in Newport, Rhode Island http://www.tourosynagogue.org/. There is a large particularly orthodox presence in Brooklyn which is a very urban area and to some extent in the suburbs of NJ and north of NYC. There had been a large and old settlement of Sephardic in the Cincinnati, Ohio area, don't know about now. The Washington DC/Maryland area (not including Baltimore) is rather cosmopolitan and a vibrant interesting place which I would suggest. Of course they will get snow to a moderate degree.

I wouldn't be afraid of Charleston http://www.spoletousa.org/ or Savannah http://savj.org/index.aspx?page=1 both are quite nice and the city architecture is rather interesting. Southern Christians seem to be very supportive at this time. There are Jews there but I'm not sure how many orthodox. You should at least be able to find Chabad houses in quite a few places around the country especially near colleges.

Most Jews in Fla will be in coastal areas and many are retired, Boca which is north of Miami, South Beach Miami, and my suggestion for a nicer upscale area would be Naples, Fla.
Do you ride on the Sabbath? Do you wear peyes?

Last edited by Sgoldie; 07-28-2010 at 03:16 AM..

Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 AM

6 posts, read 6,898 times
hi. im in the same position, tho alittle different, me and my family are looking to rent or buy in america, we want somwhere, in land, not expensive, we love the out doors and wood lands, so i was thinking, seattle or forks and no, not because of twilight, tho a werewolf would be nice, lol, my questions are...if i had an income of 1200pm would that be anoth to pay, rent,bills,food and taxes and health insurance, wat would be the gross total, and what is the price range in those areas. and most important schools, do you pay for them or are they paid by the goverment, through yr taxes, my daughter will be 7 and my son 4. and wrk for me any help would be great tammy

Old 08-05-2010, 01:48 PM

24 posts, read 98,528 times
I apologize if it has already been suggested, but what about the Boston area? I'm from a suburb about forty minutes outside of the city, and it was a wonderful place to grow up. It isn't as fast-paced as New York, but it is still lively. Maybe it was just me, but I was reminded slightly of Boston when I visited London.

The summers can be pretty humid, and while we do get a decent amount of snow in the winter, I wouldn't consider them "brutal." You could definitely find a home near the water, not to mention the schools are EXCELLENT -- some of the best in the country.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,448 times
You should check out San Diego, California. The weather is always nice, it has some of the best surfing spots in Cali, and its laid back, but there is always something to do. San Diego has great schools and most of the people are nice. Plus, if you're looking for American culture, San Diego has PETCO Park, home of the San Diego Padres (baseball), and Qualcomm Stadium, home of the Chargers (American football). Everyone in SD loves the Chargers! There's also Horton Plaza and Fashion Valley for shopping, and you should definitely check out Old Town, it has some of the best Mexican food I've ever tasted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.