U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:43 PM

9 posts, read 12,566 times

Advertisements

Good evening!

I am born and raised in London, England. I am currently living with my wife who is pregnant with twin girls, we are both ages 31, with my wife being a Vet, and me an Architect . We have decided on the idea of moving to America, but have no idea where. Heres what we look for;

We can easily do heats up to 90 degrees.
We are not made of money, but can easily buy an $800,000 home.
We want to live in coastal area preferably, but not an must
Be in the suburbs of a big city.
Whilst crime rates need to be low, we want to live in a district where schooling is Number One
We don't really do cold winters.
We currently live in a London suburban gated community, which is a real nice place to live, want something similar.
Really want to embrace the "American" lifestyle.

Thanks in advance.
Alexander Gilmore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM

705 posts, read 1,444,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore_88 View Post
Good evening!

I am born and raised in London, England. I am currently living with my wife who is pregnant with twin girls, we are both ages 31, with my wife being a Vet, and me an Architect . We have decided on the idea of moving to America, but have no idea where. Heres what we look for;

We can easily do heats up to 90 degrees.
We are not made of money, but can easily buy an $800,000 home.
We want to live in coastal area preferably, but not an must
Be in the suburbs of a big city.
Whilst crime rates need to be low, we want to live in a district where schooling is Number One
We don't really do cold winters.
We currently live in a London suburban gated community, which is a real nice place to live, want something similar.
Really want to embrace the "American" lifestyle.

Thanks in advance.
Alexander Gilmore
East or West coast?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,203,483 times
Check out the Main Line of Philadelphia - some of the best schools in the country, a feel for Americana with some features you may find familiar to London

Pennsylvania Main Line - Philadelphia Guide, Philadelphia's Main Line - Merion, Narberth, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Rosemont, Villanova, Radnor, St. David

Old 07-22-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
East or West coast?
I am not too sure. I hear that the East has terrible Hurricanes, and is prone to "hillbillies".
And west has earthquakes, and is prone to materialistic arrogant types.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,545,255 times
Sounds like you might like the Pacific Northwest quite a bit. The suburbs of Seattle might be just what you're looking for. Very rainy, but then, you're used to that. Alternatively the San Francisco Bay Area would be a great option for you -- this can get more expensive, but with your $800k budget, I'm sure you can afford it.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Sounds like you might like the Pacific Northwest quite a bit. The suburbs of Seattle might be just what you're looking for. Very rainy, but then, you're used to that. Alternatively the San Francisco Bay Area would be a great option for you -- this can get more expensive, but with your $800k budget, I'm sure you can afford it.
Thanks for that. I have been looking at the Seattle Area, which seems quite nice. For the record, the rain in England is totally over-hyped in foreign countries. It really dosent rain here that much, seriously. I am afraid that say we did move to Seattle, there would be more rain than we expected.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:04 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,545,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore_88 View Post
Thanks for that. I have been looking at the Seattle Area, which seems quite nice. For the record, the rain in England is totally over-hyped in foreign countries. It really dosent rain here that much, seriously. I am afraid that say we did move to Seattle, there would be more rain than we expected.
I've never lived in Seattle, just visited a couple of times, but my understanding is that it doesn't really get very much heavy rain -- but you can expect frequent light drizzles. Most people find it very manageable.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:23 PM

Hmm. Henderson,NV looks great. Anyone live there ?

Old 07-22-2010, 04:34 PM

705 posts, read 1,444,020 times
I believe the bigger question is, what are you looking to get out of daily life? What do you want to experience.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 PM

47 posts, read 127,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Aye, the bay area will definately have what you are looking for. Close to the coast and beaches if you want (Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay). The temperature is never below 60 degrees.

If you are looking for a suburban, good schools type area I might suggest looking into to Palo Alto, Menlo Park, or Atherton towns. They are full of rich, well-to-do folks and with Stanford University right next door, the schooling is great. Course it can get pricey, but you sound like you would be comfortable here at 800K. The summers around this area are usually high 70s to high 80s. Last but not least you have the world class city of San Francisco less than 45 minutes drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.