U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:30 PM

449 posts, read 829,371 times

Advertisements

Bad parenting has become a full out epidemic in this country. If you analyze Liberal ideas, there should be no surprise. After all, if you reject the notion of right and wrong in favor of "moral relativism" and you reject the old standards of etiquette and tradition in the name of "being open minded" and "thinking for yourself," one is bound to get it wrong.

I liken it to those who try to do something highly complex without reading the instructions. There will always be things you didn't think of. Chances are, nearly everything your parents told you when you were a kid served a purpose even tough you didn't realize it at the time. The difference is that most of us grew up to come to realize why our parents did what they did. Many of today's parents just never figured it out.

Unfortunately, Liberalism got into their head and scrambled their brains. So now when a kid dresses inappropriately, parents call it "freedom of expression" and reason that "there is no right way to dress." Personally, I think any parent who allows their son to sag his pants below his but are incompetent. The same is true for those who allow their 13 year old daughter to dress like a stripper and hang out with the punks with the sagging pants.

When I was a kid, I didn't hang with anyone unless my parents knew their parents. If I was going somewhere, my parents knew where I was going and who was going to be there. Most of us even had parents that would call to verify that the other kid's parents would be supervising. We simply didn't leave the house without some form of adult supervision at all times. Maybe a couple hours at a local mall or to see a movie.

Now it seems that parents want to act like their kids friends and just be cool and hip and treat their kids like little adults.

Then there is the cultural change. When I was young the "preppy" look was the thing. We all wanted to look like we were a bunch of upscale "blue blood" kids preparing ourselves for medical school, law school or for entrance into the corporate world. The big things were designer jeans, Polo style shirts and Docksiders (boat shoes). Remember Michael J Fox on "Family Ties"?

Now everyone wants to act like a dope dealing, criminal thug or "gangsta." And parents are just fine with it. I would ship my kid to boarding school before I would let him or her even think about emulating anything about that culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 12:53 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,453,812 times
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in 24/7 monitoring for a child. I do, however, believe in raising kids to make the right decisions on their own and letting them make those decisions, but keeping my eyes out to any signs that the wrong ones are being made. If my kid came home smelling like weed as my neighbor's kid did a few nights ago, a 13 year old...

Well... There wouldn't be much fun in store for him till he's 18.

Or her.

But yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Either you're a dope dealing gangster or an acid-dropping "hippie" (what's with the resurgence in that nonsense? Also, who buys pre-ripped jeans? That should be a felony)

Half the kids you'll see on the street nowadays don't have "sir", "ma'am", "please", "thank you", "excuse me", "you're welcome" or even "hello" in their vocabulary.

I've even heard of parents growing and smoking with their kids. What the hell has our world come to?

I'm in my early 20s, college educated with a good job, and would NEVER wish the kind of things I dealt with in my adolescence on any person's child.

Is there any place anyone knows of that this can be escaped? I don't care how large the city.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:16 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,461,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I'm just curious if there are any cities of 100,000 or above that still value traditions of the old days a-la mid 1900s "stereotypical" America. A place that the majority of people still believe in making things, buying local, being self-reliant but always willing to lend a helping hand to those in need... A place where people aren't obsessed with living as fast as possible, where an ideal childhood is unstructured, unprotected, political correctness not rampant, drugs and alcohol not invading the lives of middle schoolers and crime not rampant? A place that's a little bit country, a little bit rock and roll, in essence, but none of that new buzzsaw crap.

I dont think you could find any mid size or larger city as you described,the new times have pretty much taken over most people and their beliefs for some reason, its just a different era, but I think there are some cities that are better at preserving their culture,way of life,and values more than others.

I would say Amarillo is probably the city that stands out the most our of all the cities Im familiar with, for being a city it still has a small town value kind of mentality, its more traditional TX, for being a city, very conservative and family oriented.

I dont think I could even reccomend another city.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:28 PM
JBM

558 posts, read 932,699 times
zo would not say it's a liberal/conservative thing. I grew up in a conservative town, and we all did stuff. Drink in the country, shoot bottles in fields, drink, smoke pot. Most the kids went to church the next day, and most identified as "conservatives." Likewise, liberal households in my opinion had the kids whose parents were far more concerned and made the kids call. In fact, most the conservative parents seemed to know what we did, but they did it when they were young so whatever. But when the liberal kids parents called, "EVERYONE BE QUIET!" It depends on family and parents, not politics

Old 07-24-2010, 04:50 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,008,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
zo would not say it's a liberal/conservative thing. I grew up in a conservative town, and we all did stuff. Drink in the country, shoot bottles in fields, drink, smoke pot. Most the kids went to church the next day, and most identified as "conservatives." Likewise, liberal households in my opinion had the kids whose parents were far more concerned and made the kids call. In fact, most the conservative parents seemed to know what we did, but they did it when they were young so whatever. But when the liberal kids parents called, "EVERYONE BE QUIET!" It depends on family and parents, not politics
this is exactly how it is in many small Southern towns.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:45 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,461,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post

I dont think I knew any liberal kids or parents but at the same time politics never crossed my mind, since we are from the same town, and from the sound of it, we must have been doing the same things, I use to hang out in the country alot and cause trouble, my parents are conservative and very old skool but they did the same things when they were kids so they know how it is, but I agree with your post. Alot of the conservative kids were rowdy, very small town minded and stuck in their ways and liked to have a good time, just like anyone else, no matter what the perspective on politics was.

Do we know each other?

Old 07-24-2010, 08:27 PM

449 posts, read 829,371 times
I don't think anyone was ever talking about kids being perfect angels. We all did stuff we shouldn't have and it is right for parents to let their kids get away with being kids. But I doubt many of your small town Conservative parents would consider dressing, acting and talking ghetto a normal youthful indiscretion. I doubt those small town parents would have been so tolerant had you brought home a 15 year old girl who proceeded to tell your mother about her baby daddy.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:24 PM
JBM

558 posts, read 932,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Do we know each other?
You know, we've probably bumped into each other at Mark's or Taco Box and never knew! But yeah, we caused trouble. Heck, we still do.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:00 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,453,812 times
I love how political affiliation somehow got into this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.