Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,050 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious if there are any cities of 100,000 or above that still value traditions of the old days a-la mid 1900s "stereotypical" America. A place that the majority of people still believe in making things, buying local, being self-reliant but always willing to lend a helping hand to those in need... A place where people aren't obsessed with living as fast as possible, where an ideal childhood is unstructured, unprotected, political correctness not rampant, drugs and alcohol not invading the lives of middle schoolers and crime not rampant? A place that's a little bit country, a little bit rock and roll, in essence, but none of that new buzzsaw crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 02:38 PM

93,132 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Maybe Evansville IN?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:57 PM

36 posts, read 93,389 times
I think that our culture has been so poisoned that I'm not sure there's even a small town where you can be pure, unrefined Americana anymore. I've lived in small midwestern towns that are as corrupted as any big city.

That said, there most certainly are some big cities that are better than others. Some more traditional values, family-friendly, wholesome metro area are:

Salt Lake City
Denver
Columbus
Indianapolis
Minneapolis
Boise
Kansas City
St. Louis
Nashville
Charlotte
Raleigh
Oklahoma City
Omaha

Old 07-23-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCO View Post
I think that our culture has been so poisoned that I'm not sure there's even a small town where you can be pure, unrefined Americana anymore.

That's exactly what worries me.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:24 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,869,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCO View Post
I think that our culture has been so poisoned that I'm not sure there's even a small town where you can be pure, unrefined Americana anymore. I've lived in small midwestern towns that are as corrupted as any big city.

That said, there most certainly are some big cities that are better than others. Some more traditional values, family-friendly, wholesome metro area are:

Salt Lake City
Denver
Columbus
Indianapolis
Minneapolis
Boise
Kansas City
St. Louis
Nashville
Charlotte
Raleigh
Oklahoma City
Omaha
This is great! I'll use this list if I ever need to consider moving for a job or something!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:50 PM

449 posts, read 934,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I'm just curious if there are any cities of 100,000 or above that still value traditions of the old days a-la mid 1900s "stereotypical" America. A place that the majority of people still believe in making things, buying local, being self-reliant but always willing to lend a helping hand to those in need... A place where people aren't obsessed with living as fast as possible, where an ideal childhood is unstructured, unprotected, political correctness not rampant, drugs and alcohol not invading the lives of middle schoolers and crime not rampant? A place that's a little bit country, a little bit rock and roll, in essence, but none of that new buzzsaw crap.
When you find it let me know.

I'm afraid if you want those things you will have to start looking at your smaller towns. Of course, the more Conservative the place, the more you will find those values.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I'm not sure anyplace has ever entirely fit all that. The mid-20th c. cities tended to have a fair amount of drunkenness at least.

Maybe Provo, Utah would come close. It's fairly Mormon so likely low on alcohol, lots of people traditional in values, and the crime rate looks low. Sioux City, Iowa might be a bit small for what you mean but one thing on its thread described it as "stuck in the past" and they're in a fairly conservative part of Iowa. Sioux City's murder rate in 2008 was a bit high, but their overall crime rate looks to be generally low. Clarksville, Tennessee I think is in a fairly conservative county and has a high percentage that's family households. The crime rate might be worse than you want, but the murder rate in most years doesn't look too bad.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Provo-Utah.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Sioux-City-Iowa.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Clarks...Tennessee.html

You might be better to look for a suburb or small-town.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:42 AM

I'm not saying drunkenness is bad. I'm talking underaged drunkenness AKA 14 year olds aren't Lil Wayne obsessed know-it-alls having house parties when their parents are out of town on the weekend, getting their older brothers/pot dealers to supply alcohol for them. I'm not necessarily asking for conservative either. I don't care how a place votes, but more a place where a kid can still have an innocent childhood. I'm talking a place where people still raise their children with values, work ethic, freedom, but still teach them to make good choices, and where good choices are the norm.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:20 AM

449 posts, read 934,088 times
You mean a place where the kids still have fathers who would whoop their behinds if they see their pants sagging beneath it? Or where mothers still teach their daughters that if they dress and act like a **** they will be treated like one?

Old 07-24-2010, 09:39 AM

That's a big part of it, yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.