U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:11 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,929,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post
The Midwest has a lot of Germans, especially Wisconsin.
I disagree. At least if you mean German as in culturally German. I happen to be German and lived in Milwaukee for a while. All the Americans told me how German the city is but the only German things I observed were Americans with German last names and people being able to say "Guten Tag" (hello). There weren't many culturally or architecturally German things and during the time I lived there I met maybe 5 Germans.
Of course a lot of the people there have a German background but to me most of them are Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:17 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,330,718 times
Fredricksburg, Texas. Generations later they still speak a language that combines German and English. Most streets signs are in German and English.
The local hero is Admiral Nimitz.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:18 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,510,786 times
If you are looking for actual Germans in America then you are pretty much out of luck. Like others have pointed out there are a lot of Americans that are ethnically German, but not culturally. Germans have not moved to the States in large numbers for some time. The biggest concentrations of German-Americans are in the Midwest and Pennsylvania.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

If you are looking for German themed neighborhoods then the only I know about are German Village in Columbus and Lincoln Square in Chicago, but again you will probably not find many people that are actually from Germany even in those neighborhoods. 70 years ago you would, but not today. Cincinnati has the largest Octoberfest in the States, but I don't think it has a neighborhood in particular that celebrates German culture like the others I mentioned.

Leavenworth, WA is small town that was remade to look like a Bavarian mountain town. Kind of cool, but also basically more a a tourist gimmick than being actually German.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 04:04 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 12:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,017,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
There's a suburb of Memphis called Germantown, but I don't know how German it is.
LOL, I don't think there is a significant German presence there. Most people are Southern WASPs, and then some Jews & Italians.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:23 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,998,227 times
Although smaller than desired the German Air-Force has a training center at Alamogordo, New Mexico. They're listed as a high percentage of German immigrants so I'm guessing the center has actual German military people.

Holloman Air Force Base - German Air Force

The threads on the town don't sound too positive though.

Buffalodaddy where are you? Alamogordo is HORRIBLE!
Disappointed With Alamogordo
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ogordo-nm.html - Neutral title.
Kudos to Alamogordo! - Positive title.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:15 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,984,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Fredricksburg, Texas. Generations later they still speak a language that combines German and English. Most streets signs are in German and English.
The local hero is Admiral Nimitz.

That's a town of 10,000. The OP asked of places with a population 50,000+.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
That's a town of 10,000. The OP asked of places with a population 50,000+.
If we stick to that I guess Killeen, Texas was the only one I found with a sizable percent being born in Germany. Although it looks like that also is probably military involved.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 AM

434 posts, read 1,013,864 times
German Village in Columbus
Over-the-Rhine in Cincinnati (although I don't know much about it)

The large Amish/Menonnite communities of Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania still mainly speak German (as well as English)

Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,929,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwalk View Post
German Village in Columbus
Over-the-Rhine in Cincinnati (although I don't know much about it)
I would not recommend to go to OTR. Probably the most scary neighborhood I have ever been to. It was a German area in the past but definitely not any more. Don't know about the German Village.

I seriously doubt that there are any areas with a big German influence still - except for all the touristy areas with many German tourists. And the mentioned Amish/Mennonite communities.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 PM

This map indicates Fort Wayne, Indiana is near some fairly Mennonite areas and near some pretty Amish areas too.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo.../mennonite.gif http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...gion/amish.gif

Looking at the German percentages for Fort Wayne it is 27.6.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fort-Wayne-Indiana.html

Although technically speaking I think the Amish descend more from Swiss-Germans/German-Swiss rather than people from Germany, but that's probably nitpicking. Wichita, Kansas also looks to be near some fairly Mennonite areas, but not Amish ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or