Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:24 PM

466 posts, read 1,061,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Fredricksburg, Texas. Generations later they still speak a language that combines German and English. Most streets signs are in German and English.
The local hero is Admiral Nimitz.
I have been to Fredricksburg and yes, some signs are in German, but thats about it. I couldn't even find German grocery. A few German-American restaurants. Very disappointing. I am German, living in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 02:57 AM

985 posts, read 1,852,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Although technically speaking I think the Amish descend more from Swiss-Germans/German-Swiss rather than people from Germany, but that's probably nitpicking.
A minority came from Switzerland and the majority from the Pfalz (Palatine) area what is now part of Germany. Their language is basically a Palatine dialect they speak in the Pfalz area and not Swiss German.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:31 AM

14,184 posts, read 22,725,360 times
Pittsburgh's German neighborhoods are East Allegheny (Deutschtown) and Troy Hill, both on the North Side of the city. Unfortunately, both neighborhoods have both seen better days. Troy Hill is isolated from the rest of Pittsburgh, cut off from the city's East End by the Allegheny River, and cut off from other North Side neighborhoods by elevation. It's one of the city's poorest majority-white neighborhoods.

As for East Allegheny, it has tremendous potential in spite of its fall from grace, and being split in half by I-279 in the late 1980's. The neighborhood has held up better west of I-279 than it has east of I-279. West of I-279 is closer to downtown Pittsburgh and the heart of the North Side, while east of I-279 is closer to poor neighborhoods like Troy Hill, Spring Hill and Spring Garden. (Collectively, those neighborhoods feel more like a depressed Appalachian small town than they do part of a major U.S. city.)

I remember eating knockwurst, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut at the Teutonia Männerchor Hall in East Allegheny. I was too young to have beer at the time, but the food was great, and the music was very German, played by a live accordion band. I've also eaten and sampled beer at the Pennsylvania Brewing Company (Penn Brewery) in Troy Hill. If you ever make it to Pittsburgh, be sure to try some of their award-winning beers.

On the South Side of the city is the Hofbräuhaus Pittsburgh, which is one of only three of their restaurants in the United States modeled after the original Hofbräuhaus in Munich, Germany. (There are other Hofbräuhauses in the United States, but only three are replicas of the original.)

As you can see, Pittsburgh ist Ausgezeichnet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.