U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ??
German 16 10.67%
English 9 6.00%
Scottish 2 1.33%
Irish 9 6.00%
French 4 2.67%
Italian 6 4.00%
Russian 2 1.33%
Polish 6 4.00%
Spanish 0 0%
Scandinavian 6 4.00%
Cuban 2 1.33%
Dominican 0 0%
Mexican 1 0.67%
Salvadoran 0 0%
Colombian 0 0%
Japanese 0 0%
Chinese 7 4.67%
Indian 4 2.67%
Vietnamese 2 1.33%
Korean 3 2.00%
Filipino 0 0%
Pakistani 1 0.67%
Iranian 0 0%
Nigerian 1 0.67%
Ethiopian 0 0%
Somalian 1 0.67%
South African 0 0%
Arab 0 0%
Many european backgrounds 25 16.67%
Many latino backgrounds 2 1.33%
Many african background 3 2.00%
Many asian background 1 0.67%
Amerindian 1 0.67%
African American 17 11.33%
Other 19 12.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:56 AM

648 posts, read 1,418,762 times

Advertisements

What is with Americans claiming you are English, Irish, French, Italian and all of that? You were not born there and many of you have only visited those countries if you have been there at all. I was born in Moscow and partly raised there. But you can not claim to be Russian, Irish, Italian or English unless you have experienced life in those countries.

Why are you so proud to be [Irish, Italian, German, Russian,etc] when those countries oppressed your ancestors? You are proud of countries that oppressed your ancestors? I was born in the USSR but I am not proud of the former USSR or Russia today. I will not wave that flag during parades like you Americans do on St Patrick's Day or when Italy won the World Cup.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 07-24-2010 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,207,379 times
awww shouldve made multiple answers possible.

I am Irish, Scottish, and Quebecois. Slightly more than half Irish so I guess I'll click that

Old 07-24-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
What is with Americans claiming you are English, Irish, French, Italian and all of that? You were not born there and many of you have only visited those countries if you have been there at all. I was born in Moscow and partly raised there. But you can not claim to be Russian, Irish, Italian or English unless you have experienced life in those countries.

Why are you so proud to be [Irish, Italian, German, Russian,etc] when those countries oppressed your ancestors? You are proud of countries that oppressed your ancestors? I was born in the USSR but I am not proud of the former USSR or Russia today. I will not wave that flag during parades like you Americans do on St Patrick's Day or when Italy won the World Cup.

There's always one.

This is why we have the words "ethnicity" and "nationality" and they mean different things.

BTW, the countries where my ancestors are from (Ireland, Scotland, Canada, France) did not oppress them. Only one country oppressed my ancestors and I don't think it's too hard to guess which one...

Old 07-24-2010, 12:18 PM

648 posts, read 1,418,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
There's always one.

This is why we have the words "ethnicity" and "nationality" and they mean different things.
Americans have no cultural ties to Italians, the Irish, Germans or whatever you claim to be. America is too far along the time line to have families still living in 1910 yelling Italian in the kitchen cooking veal parmigiana. And still I do not understand why you are so proud of the countries that oppressed your ancestors. If they were such great countries your ancestors would have stayed in them and you may not have been born at least to your current parents.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:22 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,310,247 times
I'm also 100% American, but my ethnic background is multiple European backgrounds, with German being the largest

Old 07-24-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Americans have no cultural ties to Italians, the Irish, Germans or whatever you claim to be. America is too far along the time line to have families still living in 1910 yelling Italian in the kitchen cooking veal parmigiana. And still I do not understand why you are so proud of the countries that oppressed your ancestors. If they were such great countries your ancestors would have stayed in them and you may not have been born at least to your current parents.
Or, at the time when my ancestors left, they were ruled by another country and no longer are. Irish people weren't oppressing Irish people. Scottish people weren't oppressing themselves. French-Canadians weren't either. The English took care of that in every case.

Besides, American culture was created by immigrants from other places, so we have cultural ties to everywhere. Obviously, I am American. But my ancestors came from other places and it is important for everyone to be aware of history.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:40 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,510,279 times
Quote:

I tend to agree with you. It's nice to appreciate where you came from but at the same time it can be annoying when an American wears their ethnic identity, which they have never really been apart of, on their sleeve.

My family history in this county goes back to the 1700's and I can't relate to anything else other than being an American. When someone asks me this question I usually just tell them I'm American. Ofter this is not an acceptable answer though. I could tell people that I'm German, English, Scot, Welsh, with a bit of French and Mohawk Indian. But what does that really even mean?

Old 07-24-2010, 12:59 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,254,479 times
I couldn't select any on the list since I am Puerto Rican which means I have some Spanish, African and native Taino blood.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,000,464 times
African American and Puerto Rican

Old 07-24-2010, 02:16 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,122,708 times
They should have let the posters have more than one choice. I am mostly Irish with one-fourth German and a trickle of French, Scotch and possibly Native American. However I checked off Irish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or