U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ??
German 16 10.67%
English 9 6.00%
Scottish 2 1.33%
Irish 9 6.00%
French 4 2.67%
Italian 6 4.00%
Russian 2 1.33%
Polish 6 4.00%
Spanish 0 0%
Scandinavian 6 4.00%
Cuban 2 1.33%
Dominican 0 0%
Mexican 1 0.67%
Salvadoran 0 0%
Colombian 0 0%
Japanese 0 0%
Chinese 7 4.67%
Indian 4 2.67%
Vietnamese 2 1.33%
Korean 3 2.00%
Filipino 0 0%
Pakistani 1 0.67%
Iranian 0 0%
Nigerian 1 0.67%
Ethiopian 0 0%
Somalian 1 0.67%
South African 0 0%
Arab 0 0%
Many european backgrounds 25 16.67%
Many latino backgrounds 2 1.33%
Many african background 3 2.00%
Many asian background 1 0.67%
Amerindian 1 0.67%
African American 17 11.33%
Other 19 12.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:13 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,812,438 times

Advertisements

homosapien
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 11:35 PM

884 posts, read 1,528,560 times
Aww you didn't have Puerto Rican listed by itself! Sad!

Anyways, me:
50% Puerto Rican
Between 25-30% Polish (I just clicked Polish )
Between 15-20% Italian
Approx. 5% German

Old 07-25-2010, 09:16 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,449,781 times
For the moment it's very "european"

Old 07-25-2010, 09:33 AM

7,412 posts, read 8,269,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
For the moment it's very "european"
Keep in mind that the list left some of us not being able to pick and left it blank. Puerto Ricans left out.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,162,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So why is it Ok for Black people to call themselves African Americans when they know nothing of Africa or their ancestors from 200 years ago?

I am what I am because my ancestors came here from those other countries. Should I just call myself an American or a Texan & leave it at that? My Grandmother on my moms side her father was born in Italy & settled in Waco, Tx. & were some of the very first Italians to settle there. They opened up Italian grocery markets as their business. She cooks Italian food & we still embrace the culture.

Why should you just go about your life clueless on where you originated from?
That's easy to say when you know where your family immigrated from. In the case of Black Americans, their ancestors were stolen from Africa, they had their families broken up, they had their traditional African names changed to "Christian" names, and they weren't allowed to learn how to read or write, so their family histories weren't able to be preserved and passed on. A modern day Black American has no idea what African nation or nations he traces his lineage from. He could have descendants from Cameroon or Nigeria or Ghana or all three. Black Americans have no idea where they came from and no way of finding out, aside from spending millions on DNA testing.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 PM

56,967 posts, read 81,305,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
That's easy to say when you know where your family immigrated from. In the case of Black Americans, their ancestors were stolen from Africa, they had their families broken up, they had their traditional African names changed to "Christian" names, and they weren't allowed to learn how to read or write, so their family histories weren't able to be preserved and passed on. A modern day Black American has no idea what African nation or nations he traces his lineage from. He could have descendants from Cameroon or Nigeria or Ghana or all three. Black Americans have no idea where they came from and no way of finding out, aside from spending millions on DNA testing.
I said African American and about 71% of the genetics of African Americans trace their ancestry to Western Africa(from current day Senegal to Angola, with most supposedly coming from what is current day Nigeria in terms of plurality). Nigeria and I believe parts of northern Cameroon, Togo and Benin, were a part of the Slave Coast: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_Coast

Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,213,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
And, DNA testing doesn't really give you an accurate impression of your ethnicity. DNA testing can find out the general ethnic make-up your mother's mother's mother's mother (mitochondrial (sp)), etc and your father's father's father's father (y-chromosome) etc. It leaves out the vast majority of your ancestors who are neither of these. Plus, even when you find out the DNA of these maternal and paternal ancestors, they are not placed in neat categories matching modern political boundaries or even accepted ethnic groups like "ghanian" or "irish", but instead provide a list of genes that may be more common in some races than others.

I realize your main point was not about DNA testing, but I just needed to throw that out there since many people (not nessecarily you) are very misinformed about DNA testing. Soooo even with testing, black Americans can't really find out where their ancestors are from.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:37 PM

8,122 posts, read 17,364,845 times
I am an American foremost. If I go back 3 or 4 generations, then my ancestors originate from Germany and Ireland. Which means I like beer.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:06 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,213,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I am an American foremost.... Which means I like beer.
You can go ahead and delete that middle part, and it still works.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:28 AM

56,967 posts, read 81,305,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I said African American and about 71% of the genetics of African Americans trace their ancestry to Western Africa(from current day Senegal to Angola, with most supposedly coming from what is current day Nigeria in terms of plurality). Nigeria and I believe parts of northern Cameroon, Togo and Benin, were a part of the Slave Coast: Slave Coast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also, the total of African genetics is 80%, as the other 9% comes from other parts of Africa. This ranges from people that identify as Black/African American with 20-100% African ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or