U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 AM

53 posts, read 103,642 times

Advertisements

Hi does anyone know where I can compare my tax situation to all other states or cities in the USA? Meaning an online calculator, book, software or anything that would show me based on my salary and home value (or similar) what states or cities would have the lowest tax situation for me. I have tried looking at many websites and none of them have the information I am looking for. The Tax Foundation is great, but does not have a ranking of property, income, sales....taxes in one measurement. Then there are sites that offer ranking based on a retired persons potential deductions. Also, not very helpful for me since I am not retired. Some websites rank states by property taxes paid and show state XYZ as the lowest with a median property tax rate of lets say $544 per year. However, when you find out the median home value for state XYZ is $60,000 it does not help me. If you were to then say whats the property tax on a home valued at $250,000 for state XYZ then this state may be not be within the top ten in ranking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 AM

5,230 posts, read 11,670,708 times
Sperling's will show you the taxes in any city regarding home value. It also lists sales taxes, but I think that's it regarding taxes. It gives much information though regarding crime, climate, health, median homes prices, cost of living, et al.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:09 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks Canine Castle, I like Sperlings very much and I believe they provide their data to many other websites. So by using their site you lessen the chance of seeing errors as people reuse their data. The problem I have is unless I know the city or state I want to compare, I won't see an overall ranking based on my situation or please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,152,361 times
Tax Foundation has some very useful information. In the data section there is a huge amount of tax information by state.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:38 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,670,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapha View Post
Thanks Canine Castle, I like Sperlings very much and I believe they provide their data to many other websites. So by using their site you lessen the chance of seeing errors as people reuse their data. The problem I have is unless I know the city or state I want to compare, I won't see an overall ranking based on my situation or please correct me if I am wrong.
You're right. I missed that pertinent request in your post.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:44 AM

Does anyone else have any information? I was hoping that someone knows of an online calculator that allows you to put in some personal info. and then it spits out the toped ranked cities that are the most tax friendly.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:43 PM

56,563 posts, read 80,847,919 times
It depends. Here is a good website for NY State: Tax Rates (http://php.democratandchronicle.com/tax_rates/ - broken link)

You can search by county and it shows the total tax burden, on average.

I don't know if every state has something like this though.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:47 PM

ckhthankgod, Wow nice and thanks! This is the closest thing I have found to what I am looking for, but I wish I could find it for all major cities in the US in one calculation spread. I really appreciate you posting this ckhthankgod! I wish NY had lower taxes this is where I think I would move to (probably north of Ithaca). Based on climate, forest area and many mid sized cities near by. Do you think NY will lower their taxes to be more competitive?

Old 07-26-2010, 04:10 PM

56,563 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapha View Post
ckhthankgod, Wow nice and thanks! This is the closest thing I have found to what I am looking for, but I wish I could find it for all major cities in the US in one calculation spread. I really appreciate you posting this ckhthankgod! I wish NY had lower taxes this is where I think I would move to (probably north of Ithaca). Based on climate, forest area and many mid sized cities near by. Do you think NY will lower their taxes to be more competitive?
What offsets the taxes are the housing prices. So, you could nice a pretty nice home for say 125k in Upstate NY. Syracuse out of the top 100 metros had the lowest foreclosure rate and other Upstate NY metros were up there as well. Here are some websites that can give you some examples: cnyrealtor.com | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.
CNYHomes - the Syracuse and Central New York Real Estate Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or