U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:14 PM

291 posts, read 652,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
I worked as a laborer when I was 18 until I was 21. Then I moved up to super, and then owner. There was no handover it was hard work involved. If you want to try and downplay something make sure you actually know how it worked out before yapping your fat mouth.
Yeah right. Hand me down opportunity , not based on skills nor education.

And here he is lecturing others.

Shameless opportunist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:28 PM

648 posts, read 1,416,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbugster View Post
And what percentage of the population do these wealthy young guys constitute, about 1%, or less, I think.
And they are the most important part of the economy. They supply the jobs that put food on peoples tables. They also are responsible for about 95% of tax revenue.

Quote:
Upward mobility should also be for the remaining 99%, not just a handful. I don't know of anyone who isn't struggling, and they are educated and hard-working, also, not willing to be amoral or voraciously greedy as some of those "guys" you admire so much are.

I put it this way when I hear people saying they don't want to share their slice of the pie. OK, if your slice is half of the pie and everyone else can only get 1/30 of the pie, and you keep eating this way for years, what will happen?? You'll get fat and probably diabetic, and the other 30 pie slicers will get mean, food starved, disgruntled and too thin. So, NOBODY is in good shape. Does that sound like a progressive and prosperous economic model for a wealthy country? It sounds as though all the pie eaters are going to be in serious trouble, soon.
That is their choice. They earned that money, it is their property. They are not the world's parents. If they want to give to charity good for them. If not then Judgement Day will suck for that guy. But it is still his money.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
Yeah right. Hand me down opportunity , not based on skills nor education.

And here he is lecturing others.

Shameless opportunist!
If you have nothing else to say but disrespect like that then keep your mouth shut. But internet disrespect is probably the closest you will ever get to "doing something about it."

Old 07-31-2010, 07:23 AM

221 posts, read 326,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaTwins View Post
Corporations and businesses are the lifeblood of our country, not the middle class. You can't have a middle class without a strong private sector. The dwindling middle class is because the government and welfare state are encroaching on the private sector, not the other away around. If you hurt businesses, you hurt the middle class. If you grow the governement, the innovation and private jobs that drives and sustains is sucked away by beaurocrats and welfare bums.

Besides, the majority of our problems are caused by the real estate bubble wich was caused by Fannie and Freddie by allowing banks to make bad loans (largely encouraged by the Community Reinvestment Act from the Clinton years) and then offload them on the government secured "companies".
The way corporations and large conglomerates as well as banks and credit card companies operate, they aren't the lifeblood anymore. They are the blood suckers. The used to pay enough money in taxes and revenues to be a lifeblood, but now, with offshore banking, outscourcing, derivatives, hedge funds, multi-nationals, they aren't giving much of anything back to their US communities - more like taking. The jobs they offer often don't provide a living wage or much in the way of benefits. And with their out of control greed and wild speculations, businesses are hurting themselves, and the real "welfare state" is when they expect taxpayers to bail them out of the consequences their greed brings. I was always taught that in a free market either you have a sound and health business venture, or you go out of business, but these elitists think they are, in fact, above those rules of cause and effect.

And, the economic landscape, for the average middle class family or individual, was beginning to tilt south with Reagonomics, when prosperity was redefined as "borrowed time", get it now, pay for it later. And the whole credit industry, with its high interest and many built-in fees and penalities took off. So, now the middle class can look prosperous, but behind the facade be in a rotting world of debt.

So, if we all boycotted or went on strike out of frustration with these greed and power mongers, they'd be just fine, right?

A healthy middle class is what gives America her identity, her look of opportunity and prosperity. Or we could start to have cities that look like Rio de Janeiro, with some very affluent neighborhoods and everyone else living in hillside shanties of plywood, cardboard and rusting tin.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:49 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,587,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
And they are the most important part of the economy. They supply the jobs that put food on peoples tables. They also are responsible for about 95% of tax revenue.

That is their choice. They earned that money, it is their property. They are not the world's parents. If they want to give to charity good for them. If not then Judgement Day will suck for that guy. But it is still his money.
Here's what's wrong with the trickle down theory that Regan loved so. It basically says take care of the rich because they make the jobs that we all need to survive.

What this theory doesn't acknowledge is that it's a two way street. The middle class by far is the highest spending consumer class in America. With out them buying the goods and services provided by the businesses owned by the wealthy the wealthy's source of income would collapse. Henry Ford understood this. That is why he 1.) strived to lower the price of automobiles so that the middle class could afford them and 2.) raised the wages of his employees to bring them into the middle class (this eventually caused other automakers and industrialist to have to raise their pay as well.) By doing these two things he helped his company tremendously. It wasn't just a case of helping the poor he helped form a middle class base that made his company prosper.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbugster View Post
The way corporations and large conglomerates as well as banks and credit card companies operate, they aren't the lifeblood anymore. They are the blood suckers. The used to pay enough money in taxes and revenues to be a lifeblood, but now, with offshore banking, outscourcing, derivatives, hedge funds, multi-nationals, they aren't giving much of anything back to their US communities - more like taking. The jobs they offer often don't provide a living wage or much in the way of benefits. And with their out of control greed and wild speculations, businesses are hurting themselves, and the real "welfare state" is when they expect taxpayers to bail them out of the consequences their greed brings. I was always taught that in a free market either you have a sound and health business venture, or you go out of business, but these elitists think they are, in fact, above those rules of cause and effect.

And, the economic landscape, for the average middle class family or individual, was beginning to tilt south with Reagonomics, when prosperity was redefined as "borrowed time", get it now, pay for it later. And the whole credit industry, with its high interest and many built-in fees and penalities took off. So, now the middle class can look prosperous, but behind the facade be in a rotting world of debt.

So, if we all boycotted or went on strike out of frustration with these greed and power mongers, they'd be just fine, right?

A healthy middle class is what gives America her identity, her look of opportunity and prosperity. Or we could start to have cities that look like Rio de Janeiro, with some very affluent neighborhoods and everyone else living in hillside shanties of plywood, cardboard and rusting tin.
I can sort of agree. I do not believe in bail outs like that at all especially when the CEOs are making millions.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Here's what's wrong with the trickle down theory that Regan loved so. It basically says take care of the rich because they make the jobs that we all need to survive.

What this theory doesn't acknowledge is that it's a two way street. The middle class by far is the highest spending consumer class in America. With out them buying the goods and services provided by the businesses owned by the wealthy the wealthy's source of income would collapse. Henry Ford understood this. That is why he 1.) strived to lower the price of automobiles so that the middle class could afford them and 2.) raised the wages of his employees to bring them into the middle class (this eventually caused other automakers and industrialist to have to raise their pay as well.) By doing these two things he helped his company tremendously. It wasn't just a case of helping the poor he helped form a middle class base that made his company prosper.
Pay for the middle class has never fallen, it is their overspending and inflation that is hurting themselves.. not "lower wages." If anything made me raise the prices of my services it would be taxes. The more I am taxed, the less my employees would make, the more people would get laid off, and/or the more money people will have to pay for the services. That is why NYS sucks to run a business in. Look at Texas it is business friendly, low taxes, low unemployment, CREATING jobs, and a strong middle class.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 07-31-2010 at 04:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or