Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:57 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times

Advertisements

Meaningless stats

Define middle income and define a middle income standard of living (US middle-income suburbia often has a superior SOL vs allegedly wealthy SOL in EU/Asia)

And consider how many of today's wealthiest in US are relatively young guys who grew up in middle-income suburbia all over US and figured out how to make a few bucks without handouts from daddy or other taxpayers

Nowhere in world has as much upward mobility as does US for those willing to work to achieve, despite what commies in media/govt would like to claim

Entitlement nonsense is stuff of a welfare state, like US' unionized gvt "workers" or EU slackers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:48 PM

291 posts, read 752,088 times
In denial? keep believing the lies.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
There are changes going on, but a lot of this is because of how people are approaching the subject.

Basically the rich are getting a LOT LOT richer. Statistically everyone else is further down the ladder compared to the top rung, but that doesn't exactly mean their standards of living are crashing like they have in Russia and some other places since the 1980's.

It's like comparing the heights of people in a town, and then brining in a family where they're all 7'6" tall. Everyone else didn't actually get a lot "shorter", but it looks worrisome when you look at the bar graph and standard diviations.

I would agree though that on average people can't achieve what they had in the 1950's and 1960's with the same jobs. We were for the most part the ONLY large wealthy country that made it though WWII without being decimated. In fact we were the opposite of almost everyone else. The dust settled and we were suddenly standing all alone at the top. We had over half of the worlds intact industrial base. Realistically we couldn't hold that advantage forever - people would finally catch up. When that does and did happen we have to work even harder to keep our standards in place.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Meaningless stats

Define middle income and define a middle income standard of living (US middle-income suburbia often has a superior SOL vs allegedly wealthy SOL in EU/Asia)

And consider how many of today's wealthiest in US are relatively young guys who grew up in middle-income suburbia all over US and figured out how to make a few bucks without handouts from daddy or other taxpayers

Nowhere in world has as much upward mobility as does US for those willing to work to achieve, despite what commies in media/govt would like to claim

Entitlement nonsense is stuff of a welfare state, like US' unionized gvt "workers" or EU slackers
LOL @ the highlighted statement. Those "middle-income" suburbanites are the same crooks who go to work on Wall Street and gamble away our retirement pensions, all while receiving massive gov't handouts. Our country privatizes profit and socializes losses. It's a great system for those at the top, but not so much for people on the bottom like me.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
There are changes going on, but a lot of this is because of how people are approaching the subject.

Basically the rich are getting a LOT LOT richer. Statistically everyone else is further down the ladder compared to the top rung, but that doesn't exactly mean their standards of living are crashing like they have in Russia and some other places since the 1980's.

It's like comparing the heights of people in a town, and then brining in a family where they're all 7'6" tall. Everyone else didn't actually get a lot "shorter", but it looks worrisome when you look at the bar graph and standard diviations.
I strongly disagree. Money doesn't materialize out of thin air. If the wealthy are suddenly that much wealthier, then it has to be coming from somewhere.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:56 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
LOL @ the highlighted statement. Those "middle-income" suburbanites are the same crooks who go to work on Wall Street and gamble away our retirement pensions, all while receiving massive gov't handouts. Our country privatizes profit and socializes losses. It's a great system for those at the top, but not so much for people on the bottom like me.
LOL at the highlighted

Old 07-25-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
LOL at the highlighted
Would you care to elaborate on your sentiment, or should I just assume that you have no real argument to make?

Old 07-25-2010, 12:18 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Would you care to elaborate on your sentiment, or should I just assume that you have no real argument to make?
Sure! middle class = pigs in your mind. I think that is judgmental and ridiculous. Being mad at the wealthy because you are not deserves an LOL in my opinion.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:19 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Default Mind over matter

I tend to believe the more I worry about ending up in the poor house, the more it becomes reality. The more I focus on confidence in job security and adapting to change yet accept where I am in life with gratitude, the more room there is to grow. It's this kind of hysteria that breeds unemployment numbers because the media would rather not focus on constructive progress, solutions, and most of all truth. I don't subscribe to that crap, it just brings you down. There are so many oppurtunities to be had, and neither the media nor the government are going to hand them out.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Sure! middle class = pigs in your mind. I think that is judgmental and ridiculous. Being mad at the wealthy because you are not deserves an LOL in my opinion.
Middle class = non-existent

Maybe you can ignore facts and statistics, but I can't. The wealthy continue to game the system and wield an undue amount of influence over the politicians in our country. If you're an American and you don't hate the rich, then you're not paying enough attention to what's going on around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.