Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 10,527 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find a city that I will love! I grew up in Arizona and recently tried living in the west coast (California) for a few months and found that its not for me....So I am trying to find a city that I can fit into better and grow in with a career and put down some roots.
*I am looking for a job in green technologies-whether it be green construction, sustainable consulting, or anything related.
*I want to have 4 actual seasons (Phoenix is just hot and slightly cooler all year and SF has just cool then cooler temperatures)
*I love the ocean, so being near the ocean (within an hour) would be perfect
*Right now I would like a city that is urban and dense enough with things to do. And it would be nice for there to be suburb-ish places to live in a few years down the road and have a family.
*I love outdoor activities-hiking, biking, running, water sports, snowboarding. So a place that has all these nearby would be ideal (within a few hours drive for the winter sports)
*Oh and I love farmers markets! sounds silly but I think those are awesome =) but its not a necessity lol

So I am pretty sure this leads me to the east coast-Boston, NY, Baltimore. What other cities do you think could be a good fit?? And yes, I know that no city exists with all of these things, so any advice and comments about the lifestyle of the cities you mention would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 04:48 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,280 times
Try Houston. Thats my suggestion.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:02 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Chicago....not near an ocean but not all that different. I question whether you could handle Midwestern winters though, being from AZ. Another more moderate-temperature city with 4 seasons could be D.C.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:22 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I econd the DC suggestion. It has everything you want (well, no snowboarding in the city, but I assume there are some options within your driving range). With all the federal encouragement of green jobs and technologies there might be some good job opportunities there, too.

Pretty much any of the coastal mid-Atlantic or Northeastern cities would offer what you're looking for, but if cost of living matters, some are going to be much more expensive than others.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
I think Philly fits your description and "recent college grad" income quite well. If you move on you have dc/new york right there.

*I am looking for a job in green technologies-whether it be green construction, sustainable consulting, or anything related. (there are other cities slightly better for this, but given the big market, I'm sure you can find something)
*I want to have 4 actual seasons (check)
*I love the ocean, so being near the ocean (within an hour) would be perfect (check)
*Right now I would like a city that is urban and dense enough with things to do. And it would be nice for there to be suburb-ish places to live in a few years down the road and have a family. (check)
*I love outdoor activities-hiking, biking, running, water sports, snowboarding. So a place that has all these nearby would be ideal (within a few hours drive for the winter sports) (jersey shore, poconos, plenty in city)
*Oh and I love farmers markets! sounds silly but I think those are awesome =) but its not a necessity lol (i'm sure they have them...)

The other obvious big city urban dense locations with variations on your requirements would be Boston/DC/NYC/Chicago

Old 07-25-2010, 12:11 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Try Houston. Thats my suggestion.

Houston doesn't quite have 4 seasons. It doesn't snow there, and gets very hot in the summer and spring.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:52 PM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think Philly fits your description and "recent college grad" income quite well. If you move on you have dc/new york right there.
Except there aren't any jobs. The city is dealing with a 12% unemployment rate.
Washington DC is probably your best bet as the unemployment rate there is around 7%. It's far more progressive there as well.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:54 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Syracuse.....Google NY's Creative Core to see what I'm talking about.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:29 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
In the Washington, DC or Baltimore areas you are gonig to be about three hours from the ocean. In Philly, NY or Boston you will be less than one hour from many beach communities. Of these, Philly has the mildest weather (if you could call Philly winters mild LOL), and the best cost of living index. NY and Boston are right up there in cost of living. As far as the previous poster who said there are no jobs in Philly, you really need to do some checking for yourself. The major universities, hospitals and research facilities are there, either in the city or in the suburbs. And the public transportation infrastructure is excellent; you may not even need to drive to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.