U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:35 AM

392 posts, read 1,044,399 times

Advertisements

How much of a commute to work and back is too much? What do you think the cut off would be in miles to keep a person sane? Would a 300 mile daily roundtrip commute to work and back be too much on a person? What if the commute only had to be done 3 days of the week at off peak times(no traffic jams), would it make it more reasonable or could it still get to a person after awhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 07:01 AM

12,302 posts, read 15,205,734 times
Obviously this is very subjective. Some put up with 3 hours each way and others can't stand 20 minutes. Usually the lower level jobs offer a shorter commute, but in very affluent areas they can't find enough support staff in town so they have to pay enough to make the commute tolerable. In metro areas with commuter train service, longer commutes may be tolerable.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 AM

56,142 posts, read 54,613,656 times
I'm not necessarily claiming sanity, but I have a roundtrip commute of about 120 miles a day, by train. I use the time for reading. Sometimes it does get to me, but technically I can retire in three years, so that thought helps me keep on going.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:16 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,384,826 times
My parents live in a city of 150,000 - and both their commutes are 10 minutes and never traffic. Sometimes I'm jealous of that.

Mine is around 40 minutes, but I get to take the train. I normally just read a book or listen to music. Sometimes if I'm lazy I might take the bus, which takes 50 minutes, but at least I get a seat and I can read.

I think it helps a lot when you can zone out and not have to actually pay attention to the commute part. I have friends that drive an hour each way in the suburbs and it always seems to enrage them. There are about 150 people in my office (we all walk or take transit), and some of them take the train for up to 90 minutes each way because they live in suburbs 60 miles from downtown. They really don't seem to complain as much as I would think they would. Most of them say they sleep the whole way in each morning, and finish up work or read on the way home.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:25 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,576,706 times
0m by car, 45m by train...

car is just lost time, train I can read and get stuff done.

I once said I would never commute by car again...then years went by... and ended up thinking oh I can do it again, maybe it is not so bad... Ughhh it is bad I just got through doing it for about a year and never want to do it again.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:32 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,138,196 times
Personally, more than 20 minutes without traffic and more than an hour with is too much. I have a friend who drives 2 and a half hours in traffic each day and the reasoning is "at least I get a driveway".

Old 07-25-2010, 02:48 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,633,519 times
I commute an hour each way to work. Not ideal, but it could be worse. It's nice when I get to do a work at home day.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:53 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,055,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
My parents live in a city of 150,000 - and both their commutes are 10 minutes and never traffic. Sometimes I'm jealous of that.

Mine is around 40 minutes, but I get to take the train. I normally just read a book or listen to music. Sometimes if I'm lazy I might take the bus, which takes 50 minutes, but at least I get a seat and I can read.

I think it helps a lot when you can zone out and not have to actually pay attention to the commute part. I have friends that drive an hour each way in the suburbs and it always seems to enrage them. There are about 150 people in my office (we all walk or take transit), and some of them take the train for up to 90 minutes each way because they live in suburbs 60 miles from downtown. They really don't seem to complain as much as I would think they would. Most of them say they sleep the whole way in each morning, and finish up work or read on the way home.
This post confirms my experience. I commute by bus (25 min.) Even on the snowiest winter days the trip may take 5-10 min. longer. Many of my colleagues live in the burbs and drive. Many drive 45 min to hour one way. On snowy days, it'll take them 50-100% longer. That's when you hear them squawk the loudest. Some people just don't know how to live in a city!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,384,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
This post confirms my experience. I commute by bus (25 min.) Even on the snowiest winter days the trip may take 5-10 min. longer. Many of my colleagues live in the burbs and drive. Many drive 45 min to hour one way. On snowy days, it'll take them 50-100% longer. That's when you hear them squawk the loudest. Some people just don't know how to live in a city!
Yeah, it's amazing how a little rain/snow/storm can really screw with traffic. That's why I always take the train if any type of weather event it happening - cause it runs the same no matter what.

There are mornings where it snows something tiny like 2-3 inches and I hear the reports on the news that traffic is backed up for up to two hours on some of the expressways. I would crap my pants if I was stuck in that. At least it only snows a handful of times a year.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times
Most days as long as it takes me to walk from my bed to my office downstairs, but I usually stop to make coffee on the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.