U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would be most ideal for me?
Tucson (U of A) 2 11.11%
Los Angeles (Keck School of Med) 1 5.56%
Sacramento (UC-Davis) 2 11.11%
Denver/Aurora (U of CO) 0 0%
Gainesville (U of F) 0 0%
Tampa (USF) 1 5.56%
Miami (U of Miami) 3 16.67%
Albuquerque (U of NM) 1 5.56%
Portland (Oregon Health and Sciences) 2 11.11%
Charleston (Med. U of SC) 0 0%
Houston (Baylor/Methodist/UT) 5 27.78%
Lubbock (Texas Tech) 0 0%
San Antonio (UT Health Sciences) 1 5.56%
Temple (Texas A&M) 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 PM

453 posts, read 733,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbbphh View Post
Shouldn't your top priority be the quality of the residency program in the specialty you are entering?
Great point! Though I have great board scores and can be pretty selective about what schools to apply/interview and hopefully gain residency.

Also, I plan to do internal medicine (general medicine) and perhaps do a fellowship in ICU medicine. That is why I have chosen research driven, medical school associated, in house fellowship containing university residency programs.

In my opinion, a great internist/cardiologist/gastroenterologist/oncologist isn't made by what hospital he/she trains at, but how much they read, work hard, etc. Harvard residencies also produce average physicians. On the other hand, USF (mid tier medicine program) has cranked out incredible clinicians.

NEsanto, are you a medical student also? UT-Southwestern (Dallas main campus) has started an affiliation with the UT-Austin Seton Hall sponsored residency program. You still apply to the UT-Austin program but will be employed under UTSW governance as far as I understand.

Anyhow...I digress from CityData a bit.
That is why Austin has not made my differential...they don't have fellowships at their program.
However, I think I may prefer the Austin lifestyle to Houston's perhaps?

I am loving the feedback...as this is giving me a lot to think about!

Any thoughts about Tucson (that I previously reviewed on CDForums)? Albuquerque?

Thanks!! Please vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:13 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,805,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poophead View Post
Great point! Though I have great board scores and can be pretty selective about what schools to apply/interview and hopefully gain residency.

Also, I plan to do internal medicine (general medicine) and perhaps do a fellowship in ICU medicine. That is why I have chosen research driven, medical school associated, in house fellowship containing university residency programs.

In my opinion, a great internist/cardiologist/gastroenterologist/oncologist isn't made by what hospital he/she trains at, but how much they read, work hard, etc. Harvard residencies also produce average physicians. On the other hand, USF (mid tier medicine program) has cranked out incredible clinicians.

NEsanto, are you a medical student also? UT-Southwestern (Dallas main campus) has started an affiliation with the UT-Austin Seton Hall sponsored residency program. You still apply to the UT-Austin program but will be employed under UTSW governance as far as I understand.

Anyhow...I digress from CityData a bit.
That is why Austin has not made my differential...they don't have fellowships at their program.
However, I think I may prefer the Austin lifestyle to Houston's perhaps?

I am loving the feedback...as this is giving me a lot to think about!

Any thoughts about Tucson (that I previously reviewed on CDForums)? Albuquerque?

Thanks!! Please vote!
I am also Indian/South Asian. (deja vu, I feel like I have said this before!)

Tucson is absolutely my favorite city in the whole country! It's beautiful, the natural scenery is great, and the city is nice and peaceful. And yes, they do have Indian restaurants & grocery stores there, they have quite a few.

And even though they do have a Indian population there, it is not large, you will rarely see them outside of the areas where their stores and grocery places are.

Austin is a great city, out door life is pretty great, you have a lot of options for recreation activities with the lakes near there. Like Lake Travis automatically comes to mind. You have hills, which are quite scenic if I may add, and you have a great family surrounding.

You have a bit more Indian people than Tucson (actually quite a lot more), and you can get grocery and food there easily. And yes, Austin is an emerging tech corridor which is why their population is beginning to diversify with Indians, Chinese, etc.. it's a very fast growing city.

Houston is another animal though, it is the largest city (between Tucson, Austin, & Houston) and it has a very nice organized Indian community. A whole segment dedicated to "Little India" on Hillcroft Avenue, and it's growing in prominence as of of America's fastest growing cities, and it's also an emerging tech corridor, and medical is top of the line here.

There are beaches in Metro Houston located in Galveston, they are decent, and you have quite a lot to do, there are also large lakes like Lake Conroe, or Lake Houston, and other lakes for recreational activities, such as kayaking or canoeing.

You have some smaller hills in Northwest Metro Houston, but it is indeed out of the way (an hour drive).

But aside from that, the shopping options, the large Indian community, the housing prices, and the amenities are all set there.

I personally would have a hard time choosing between the three, Tucson is my favorite city in the country, Houston is large and has the amenities, Austin is well rather unique for a Mid-Sized city.

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2010, 05:20 AM

192 posts, read 366,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poophead View Post
It is certainly true that a big name program can't guarantee that you will become a great attending physician. But if you are stuck in a bad program, reading and hard work alone will not get you to where you want to be. You still need mentors, career guidance, clinical experience, etc. that you can't get from a book. And by "bad program", I don't mean a program that is not well-known or well-respected, but rather one that doesn't meet your individual training needs.

Remember, the location is temporary - only three years - but the training you receive will affect you for the duration of your professional career (not to mention that you'll probably be in the hospital most of the time anyway). Cast a wide net and go on plenty of interviews (yes, even in cold places) - these will be your best opportunity to evaluate the training programs, and see if they would be a good fit for you. Train at a good residency/fellowship program, regardless of location, and you'll be in a better position to write your own ticket to wherever you want for your real job as an attending.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:42 AM

5,648 posts, read 7,451,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I am also Indian/South Asian. (deja vu, I feel like I have said this before!)

Tucson is absolutely my favorite city in the whole country! It's beautiful, the natural scenery is great, and the city is nice and peaceful. And yes, they do have Indian restaurants & grocery stores there, they have quite a few.

And even though they do have a Indian population there, it is not large, you will rarely see them outside of the areas where their stores and grocery places are.

Austin is a great city, out door life is pretty great, you have a lot of options for recreation activities with the lakes near there. Like Lake Travis automatically comes to mind. You have hills, which are quite scenic if I may add, and you have a great family surrounding.

You have a bit more Indian people than Tucson (actually quite a lot more), and you can get grocery and food there easily. And yes, Austin is an emerging tech corridor which is why their population is beginning to diversify with Indians, Chinese, etc.. it's a very fast growing city.

Houston is another animal though, it is the largest city (between Tucson, Austin, & Houston) and it has a very nice organized Indian community. A whole segment dedicated to "Little India" on Hillcroft Avenue, and it's growing in prominence as of of America's fastest growing cities, and it's also an emerging tech corridor, and medical is top of the line here.

There are beaches in Metro Houston located in Galveston, they are decent, and you have quite a lot to do, there are also large lakes like Lake Conroe, or Lake Houston, and other lakes for recreational activities, such as kayaking or canoeing.

You have some smaller hills in Northwest Metro Houston, but it is indeed out of the way (an hour drive).

But aside from that, the shopping options, the large Indian community, the housing prices, and the amenities are all set there.

I personally would have a hard time choosing between the three, Tucson is my favorite city in the country, Houston is large and has the amenities, Austin is well rather unique for a Mid-Sized city.

Good luck!
India Oven is my favorite Indian restaurant in Tucson.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
India Oven is my favorite Indian restaurant in Tucson.
I envy you, you live 80 miles away from the city I wish I did live in...

Old 07-28-2010, 11:17 AM

453 posts, read 733,387 times
Austin has been nixed from my cities! My advisor strongly urged that I go to a university program!

So I think it will come down to Tucson, Houston, Tampa, Gainesville, or Miami!

Which one of those would be a good choice for a super busy intern?

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,511,608 times
I'd definitely point you in the direction of Houston. It's a fast-growing, diverse city with many ambitious projects all over. It won't have the hiking you desire, but you'll definitely be able to find beaches. I've heard there are great museums there too.

It's also one of the top medical cities in the country...which helps haha.

Good luck in your decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny Scraper View Post
Boston has two of the top 10 hospitals, Houston has the top and best, along with the largest medical center in the world- with great medical schools.
Not to hijack this thread...but Boston is the best medical city on the planet, not Houston. Longwood > TMC.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'd definitely point you in the direction of Houston. It's a fast-growing, diverse city with many ambitious projects all over. It won't have the hiking you desire, but you'll definitely be able to find beaches. I've heard there are great museums there too.

It's also one of the top medical cities in the country...which helps haha.

Good luck in your decision!

Not to hijack this thread...but Boston is the best medical city on the planet, not Houston. Longwood > TMC.
I already tried to get him to focus on Boston & Houston. But he doesn't prefer the weather of Boston. Plus it wasn't even one of his school choices, which I don't understand why.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:00 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,511,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny Scraper View Post
I already tried to get him to focus on Boston & Houston. But he doesn't prefer the weather of Boston. Plus it wasn't even one of his school choices, which I don't understand why.
Well it's different for us. I'm born/raised in Boston, you in Chicago (right?)...we're accustomed to cold weather. Some people just can't stand it.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well it's different for us. I'm born/raised in Boston, you in Chicago (right?)...we're accustomed to cold weather. Some people just can't stand it.
Dude I just changed my screen name here, lol, you know me better than that. I am indeed from Chicago, born.

I can do weather extremes of both sides of the spectrum the Hot Houston & the Cold Chicago, I honestly would have any problem whatsoever.

(Lol, look at the first letters of the words above and the cities they are describing and the first letters of those cities- just an observation of mine)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or