U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:43 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,991,559 times

Advertisements

I would think Hawaii has or had more unique species, at least for its size, as it's an island far off from any continent that I don't think had any large predators before humans arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:54 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,991,668 times
Interestingly, although NY is quite forested, it also has a single tiny national forest - the Finger Lakes National Forest - half of which is not forested at all, but is pastureland managed by the National Forest Service.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,486,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
In the mountain forests of southern California, you don't see that many varieties of trees, on average. I'm not saying that a few trees of each type may not be located over a vast acreage, what I'm saying is that to the observer, all one sees, on average, is no more than four types of trees that are naturally growing. It is nothing like the Southern Appalachians, where from one location a person, up close, can spot perhaps a dozen or so naturally occurring types of trees.
Okay, well, it's not Southern California, but Norcal has very diverse forests. On my 13 acre plot of land, not counting trees that I've planted, just off the top of my head, I have: Ponderosa Pine, Incense Cedar, Black Oak, Golden Oak, Big Leaf Maple, Alder, Madrone, Douglas Fir, Sugar Pine, Digger Pine, Manzanita (not technically a tree, but some are well over 20 feet tall)...I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Throw in the trees that were introduced and now grow wild in the area, I also have apple, pear, and I believe at least one cherry tree.

About the redwoods (both coast and giant sequoia), pictures don't really do them justice. Wandering through a redwood forest feels like wandering through a fantasy novel. If you're not careful, you'll be half tempted to look for a nearby volcano to toss your wedding ring into.

I found an interesting website about redwoods in the UK. It seems as if redwoods planted in the 1860's are already the tallest trees in the entire UK, and could well be the tallest in Europe soon...and they're still very, very young. I wonder if they reproduce naturally in the UK, or if they're all examples of trees being deliberately planted?

Redwood World - Giant Redwoods, Coast Redwoods and Dawn Redwoods in the UK - pictures and information

Old 12-01-2010, 07:44 PM

247 posts, read 500,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Oregon,Montana, Washington, Canada, east Alaska.
Montan is far more open than forrest, however it does have forrests, we logged in montana many years.. the most forrested states are east of the Mississippi, oregon and washington etc are forrested but mostly the western side.Northern Minnesota and all of wisconsin are forrested..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or