U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,873,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Good weather to me is a sunny, breezy, 55 degree day.
This.

I really don't like hot weather at all. I am naturally hot-bodied and will sweat profusely just from walking, even in fairly cool weather. I can tolerate heat if there is little humidity, but only just. I grew up in Georgia and I never liked the summers. I was always so excited when the first real day of autumn arrived and the air was clear, clean and cool with a brisk wind. Absolutely lovely. When winter came along, I would always go for walks at night, especially if the full moon was out. Sometimes I miss the utter silence and stillness of the night during the deep of winter. Silence so complete you can almost hear the background noise of your neural processes. Air so crisp and pellucid you'd swear it would shatter like glass if you struck out at it.

Portland's summers are a little better, but not that much better. The humidity is much lower, but there has already been several days where the temperature was over 90. Not very nice. I do love the winters though. I have always been a fan of gray days. Something about them is just energizing, and the steady pitter-patter of the rain is wonderful to fall asleep to. The only thing that bothers me (only just a little) is how short the days are. If the days could be as long as they are in summer but still rainy, that would be perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,657,996 times
I think of places where the weather is sunny and around room temperature year round, such as San Diego, when I think of good weather. I desire Great Lakes weather, not "good weather", though.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:30 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,351,461 times
Good weather in my opinion does not mean hot weather. Good weather to me is weather in which when you step outside, you don't need to think about replacing fluids constantly due to the heat. It also means weather in which you don't have to deal with strong winds when the temperatures get lower. I would say good weather to me would be somewhere in the range of the high 40s to about the mid 70s. 80 degrees isn't bad but 75 degrees is at the level where I can be comfortable. And also, if it is 40 degrees but there is no wind blowing, I can be pretty comfortable if I'm dressed warm enough. The thing is though that where I live it is usually in the 40s during the early morning hours and it warms up by the time the sun is fully in the sky. 38 degrees isn't freezing cold either if I am properly dressed and if there is no wind. If there is wind however, that is a different story.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:04 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,795,188 times
Definitely not hot weather. 65-80. SoCal. I like mild seasons (Bay Area) too. Not to fond of Eastern or Southern weather.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:48 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,989,540 times
Default Learn something every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Good weather in my opinion does not mean hot weather. Good weather to me is weather in which when you step outside, you don't need to think about replacing fluids constantly due to the heat. It also means weather in which you don't have to deal with strong winds when the temperatures get lower. I would say good weather to me would be somewhere in the range of the high 40s to about the mid 70s. 80 degrees isn't bad but 75 degrees is at the level where I can be comfortable. And also, if it is 40 degrees but there is no wind blowing, I can be pretty comfortable if I'm dressed warm enough. The thing is though that where I live it is usually in the 40s during the early morning hours and it warms up by the time the sun is fully in the sky. 38 degrees isn't freezing cold either if I am properly dressed and if there is no wind. If there is wind however, that is a different story.
Never knew it got that "cold" (30s/40s) in Southern California. No, that is not that cold (above freezing) without a windchill.

The few times it gets that cold here in SW Florida people are dressing in parkas, scraves, gloves, and even boots. They break out heaters in the outdoor restaurants too. Hey, just go inside if the cold bothers you that much. By Noon, you will be shedding those parkas soon enough.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:41 AM

2,161 posts, read 3,995,551 times
Good question. When I was in Ohio, my friend told someone we were from Texas and they said "Oh you have better weather down there." I thought it was funny because the summers felt no different up there than down in Texas, but at least they could 75 degree sunny days. Those winters must be something else.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:03 AM

22,345 posts, read 32,237,000 times
Good weather basically year round equals La Jolla

most other places have their issues

Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 AM

3,969 posts, read 2,823,917 times
Good weather, to me, means lots of sunshine. Ideally, you don't want temperatures over 90 degrees if you aren't comfortable with it, but you won't want it to rain much of the time, either.

Even though I visit there once in a while, I still consider San Diego to have the best weather in the country.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:49 AM

5,232 posts, read 11,693,535 times
Good weather to me means 55 degrees max and sunny.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:53 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,351,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Good weather to me means 55 degrees max and sunny.
I will definitely second this statement and agree with you! 55 degrees and sunny is about as good as it can get That is certainly more comfortable that 95 degrees and sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or