U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:05 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,508,413 times

Advertisements

I'm going to agree with everything being said so far here. Fall in New England is the best. Beautiful leaves, apple picking, football...the temperature is always "just right"...god I love fall here.

Grab yourself a nice fall beer when you're here too. It adds to the greatness haha. I recommend Southern Tier Pumking Imperial Pumpkin Ale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 04:50 PM

7,136 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm going to agree with everything being said so far here. Fall in New England is the best. Beautiful leaves, apple picking, football...the temperature is always "just right"...god I love fall here.

Grab yourself a nice fall beer when you're here too. It adds to the greatness haha. I recommend Southern Tier Pumking Imperial Pumpkin Ale.
"I recommend Southern Tier Pumking Imperial Pumpkin Ale".

Which is delicious and brewed in the Village of Lakewood, New York by the Southern Tier Brewing Company.

Which brings me to the point that you will find great fall color both in AND outside New England.

New York, Pennsylvania, Eastern Ohio, West Virginia, the Upper South etc. Many other states have great fall color and offer less congested roads in the fall than Vermont.

I especially like the Hudson Valley in the fall, not just for the leaves, but for the history, traditions and the harvests of the area. And Halloween is great in the Sleepy Hollow area.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:19 PM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
If you come to the Syracuse area, you can check out a War of 1812 cemetary in Onondaga Hill and Oakwood Cemetary near the Syracuse University campus. There are a bunch of cemetaries throughout the area, with many having a historical flavor.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 PM

726 posts, read 1,870,166 times
If you're not looking to travel all the way to the east coast I would suggest Estes Park, Colorado. Right next to Rocky Mountain National Park. In the fall the aspens are all changing and it's beautiful. The Stanley Hotel has a great (and spooky) history.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:17 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,869,142 times
Don't underestimate the south for beautiful fall foliage. Georgia gets some really nice colors when autumn comes around.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,880,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carniehands View Post
Hi everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read this!

This fall I am taking my Mother on a special trip. She loves fall, anything to do with the harvest, Halloween, fall foliage, pumpkins, apple cider, etc.

Which cities and areas are best for the whole Fall experience? I am looking for a place that has crisp weather, pumpkins, gorgeous leaves, fall or harvest festivals, or just anything to do that is fun! Also, any old cemetary suggestions would be grand. We love to admire old headstones (I know it sounds creepy but it's not, I swear!). Any suggestions on dates would be great too. Is early October better or the middle of October?

I'm from southern California where there really aren't seasons, and I would love to be able to experience it all.

Thanks to everyone in advance!!
1. I'd say go someplace in the mountains or in the country, not in the city. My preference would be Colorado. But I don't want to say anything bad about the other places discussed in this thread. Because I haven't been to most of those places.

2. Where ever you go, timing is everything. Get there at the right time. Because if you are too early or too late for that area, you are going to be disappointed.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,162,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
2. Where ever you go, timing is everything. Get there at the right time. Because if you are too early or too late for that area, you are going to be disappointed.
100% correct. A couple of weeks one way or the other of the peak color and you will be disappointed. This year for some areas may be a challenge, I know we are having a very unusual year weather wise. How will it affect the color this fall for both timing and vibrancy...? Who knows.

We usually get very nice color in MI, and have cider mills, pumpkin patches, etc... all the usual suspects of Fall. Most years the color here will rival or beat the Northeast. Before anybody says anything, I lived in the Northeast in prime leaf peeping area for 20 years.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:48 AM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Syracuse NY has an Apple Festival just south of the city in the town of LaFayette. It's in the hills and the valleys with Route 20, which is also called the Apple Valley Turnpike being the road that has plenty of orchards along it or close by. There are pumpkins, hayrides and apple picking at many of these places. It is also close to the Onondaga Indian Nation Reservation too.

A major orchard that many people go to is Beak& Skiff, which is pretty big.

Great foliage and views as well.

There are other orchards throughout the area and if you want something "interesting" to check out, there is an area of Cedarvale Road called 13 Curves, where there is a legend where you see ghosts supposedly at night.

You can look all of this up and more.
Here's some information too: LaFayette Apple Festival

Beak & Skiff - Growing Since 1911 - Home

Oneill's Orchard

Deer Run Farms - Home

Welcome to Abbott Farms!

NY Apple Country Pick an Apple

Phantom sightings on 13 Curves? | syracuse.com

Weird New York

Cemeteries in Onondaga County

Old 07-29-2010, 11:03 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,972,002 times
One of the things I do like about New England in the fall is that it's very easy to adjust your plans if the peak foliage is earlier or later than you thought it would be in the area you're visiting, because there are so many climate zones packed into a small area. If you look at KaaBoom's map, between eastern Massachusetts and the White Mountains of NH there are four different foliage zones - that's only an hour and a half drive.

That, and the mountains. Some of my photos from NH (and VT):

Old 07-29-2010, 11:37 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,103,578 times
Tough to beat New England on this. Drove from Boston to Montreal last October. Was quite a sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.