U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:31 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,868,105 times

Advertisements

Also, don't forget Tennessee. There are some truly awesome fall colors there. Here is a shot from Cloudland Canyon, which just about straddles the Tennessee/Georgia border.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v402/189/2/652111835/n652111835_1534044_2027.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 01:47 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
1. I'd say go someplace in the mountains or in the country, not in the city. My preference would be Colorado. But I don't want to say anything bad about the other places discussed in this thread. Because I haven't been to most of those places.

2. Where ever you go, timing is everything. Get there at the right time. Because if you are too early or too late for that area, you are going to be disappointed.
I live in Colorado, so I'd second that idea, especially if coming from California. It's close for you, but far enough to make it seem like a trip. Wherever you go, you could plan for some sightseeing both coming and going, using that map of peak times. 3rd week in Sept. is generally prime for the northern Colorado mountains, a little later in the southern part of the state.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,456 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Best way to go leaf peeping IMO is to rent a boat and take a ride down a river. You can't beat it!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:01 AM

3,073 posts, read 5,447,005 times
Don't forget Michigan!!

New England gets all of the hype, probably because it is closer to huge population centers and isn't in "flyover country." But Michigan can hold its own against anyone. We have great foliage, pumpkins, apples, and even some of the best vineyards in the world!

A great photo thread from City Data showing some fall colors:
Pics of Spectacular Michigan

Great color viewing in the Upper Penisula:
Fall Color Porcupine Mountain - Upper Peninsula

And if you want something truly unique, tour Wine Country near Traverse City during peak color season:
Leelanau Peninsula and the Old Mission Peninsula Wineries - - Traverse City Convention & Visitors Bureau

Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 AM

648 posts, read 1,416,560 times
The Northeast has a lot going on all the way from PA through NY and up through New England not just for colors but scenery and activity. With Salem, Sleep Hollow, Amityville, and Gettysburg there are some famous towns around Halloween.

http://blog.besttraveldeals.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/keene-pumpkin-festival2.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 08-05-2010 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 07:53 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,200,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Best way to go leaf peeping IMO is to rent a boat and take a ride down a river. You can't beat it!
agreed! My most memorable image of foliage is kayaking down the Deerfield river near the mass/vt border. Rivers go through areas you don't get to see otherwise. Plus you get to go at the perfect speed to enjoy the scenery and still have it change up enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.