U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM

6,973 posts, read 12,492,210 times

Advertisements

I think Oregon is the laziest state I have ever been to. I don't mean just lack of exercise. The lack of ambition and making a meaningful living, without depending on social services or family members to support oneself. This has to be the laziest state when it comes to supporting oneself and taking pride in ones appearance and behavior in public places.

I think these state ratings list are not always accurate and not very informative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 09:46 AM

10 posts, read 5,113 times
Of course Missouri is on there! There's NOTHING to do here...

But yeah, its like stereotyping to say any whole state is less active than another.

Sure, most of my fellow High School goers smoke Weed and Drink, but I play baseball, tennis and paintball, camp, etc, you know, stuff you wouldn't enjoy doing with drunks or pot-heads...

Considering about 90% of my school does some form of Alcohol or drugs, I think I got the bad end of the list...

Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,580,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think Oregon is the laziest state I have ever been to. I don't mean just lack of exercise. The lack of ambition and making a meaningful living, without depending on social services or family members to support oneself. This has to be the laziest state when it comes to supporting oneself and taking pride in ones appearance and behavior in public places.

I think these state ratings list are not always accurate and not very informative.
Well, many Oregonians are very "granola" and "one with nature", and so a lot of residents have an unkempt appearance, from worn looking jeans, unshaven face, to lots of sandles and the like. I'd say that the residents are among the most rugged looking in the country. Not bad, I must say.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:46 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,325,746 times
Dumb, pointless list.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:08 PM

767 posts, read 2,003,929 times
Ho Hum, just another of the many "Let"s bash the South lists" written by someone who is most likely not from the South.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,747,172 times
A lot of it has to do with culture clash, one judging another. As a student of early West Virginia history, I was very amused by this letter I found on the internet some time ago, from a Mr. Caldwell, writing to his mother in Rockport, MA, from Ceredo (West) Virginia.

Ceredo was a colony established by Mass. abolitionist Eli Thayer in order to show southerners how they should live. It was not a great success, and was partially burned and abandoned during the Civil War. By "eastern" people he means the Massachusetts settlers of Ceredo.

Quote:
Ceredo, December 8, 1858

Dear Mother, your letter received and was glad to hear of your good health. Ceredo has not changed a great deal since I last wrote. It is winter now with us...We won't have much cold weather here but it has rained the most of the time. We have a meeting a part of every Sunday. I don't think this is a very moral community. The Sabbath is generally spent gunning or fishing by the Virginians but the eastern people mostly attend church...The Virginians differ much from the eastern people. They are a very slow moulded people, little or no energy about them. The farmers do not take any care of their land. All they seem to care for is to just get along.
Attached Thumbnails
New list of America's laziest states-ceredo1.jpg  

Old 07-28-2010, 01:49 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,511,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
NY should be exempt because NYC is NOT lazy at all. It's probably the least laziest city, so why should NY be #11?
Haha what are you talking about? I'm sure there are plenty of lazy people in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
you see, this right here is the type of nonsense that gets these thread wars going. never again do i want to a hear a californian (or a new yorker) try to claim that they never start these arguments. because this is proof right here . absolutely ridiculous
Are you eating any fried pickles or okra while you're typing this? just kidding, but come on now. The South fries everything. It can be tasty but it's pretty horrible for you haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Sure, most of my fellow High School goers smoke Weed and Drink, but I play baseball, tennis and paintball, camp, etc, you know, stuff you wouldn't enjoy doing with drunks or pot-heads...

Considering about 90% of my school does some form of Alcohol or drugs, I think I got the bad end of the list...
Just a note...probably about 90% of every high schooler has at least tried the stuff you're mentioning. Sure you may play baseball, tennis, paintball, and camp...but have you ever tried any of that stuff on weed? It's like adding an exclamation point to the end of a sentence!

Quick disclaimer: I don't smoke anymore haha.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 07-28-2010 at 01:59 PM..

Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,774,278 times
these lists rank up there with "best cities to live in" in which these "best cities" suddenly disappear the next year.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:39 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,587,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Are you eating any fried pickles or okra while you're typing this? just kidding, but come on now. The South fries everything. It can be tasty but it's pretty horrible for you haha.
but what people fail to realize is that things like fried pickles, fried cola, fried butter, etc...these are all novelty foods and people down here do not eat this stuff everyday. you can't just walk into some random restaurant in the south and see chicken fried bacon and donut burgers on the menu. yes, some of these things are tasty but they are by no means part of the diet of the average southerner.

we have healthy foods too, you know

http://www.easysoutherncooking.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/tomato-salad.jpg (broken link)
http://www.easysoutherncooking.com/vegetable/

Old 07-28-2010, 04:01 PM

8,115 posts, read 17,331,159 times
No disrespect to the OP since he/she didn't author the list, but with all due respect, this list is asinine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.