U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2010, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Fairfax
2,880 posts, read 6,169,448 times
Reputation: 1230

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Genes. Nobody has even mentioned what role genes plays in your weight. Nothing is going to change that one. I am 102 lbs. My Dad was 140 lbs. My Grandma was 90 lbs. Genes. My family lived in and died in NY. I now live in Florida. It makes no difference at all. My genes haven't changed because of where I live. I eat exactly the same now as I did there. I do my own cooking and can make whatever I want to, but if I feel like eating a Big Mac, I DO.

Another thing nobody has mentioned. Yes, I am sure exercise/physical activity can help to lose weight, but as most people know, when you are excercising, etc, you don't get hungry, as you do when you sit and do nothing. Couch potatoes? I don't go to a gym or do any outside leisure activities, but I have a very physical job working with special needs kids, lifting, pushing wheelchairs, etc. I just don't feel hungry most of the time. My husband has said when he plays 18 holes of golf, he doesn't feel much like eating after. I am sure heat plays a factor also. When it's very hot ouside, and I have to be outside with the kids, all I want to do is drink a lot of WATER, not eat.

The state where I live has made no difference whatsoever.
Sorry, but while your point is valid there are no "superior" Northern genes. If you're trying to link genetics with longevity, obesity, etc then what you're referring to is the fact that the South has a much higher rate of black people (who genetically are more predisposed to obesity) than the North. However, the main reason is cultural and can be tied to the food and lifestyle of Southerner's. This should be obvious as plenty of black people aren't obese and the same is true for Southerners as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2010, 06:38 PM
 
Location: 30-40°N 90-100°W
13,856 posts, read 22,973,253 times
Reputation: 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
And to those bringing up fatty foods in regards to obesity rates. Studies have shown the largest factor in high obesity rates is poverty.
The higher the poverty rate, the higher the obesity rates.
I'd be interested in the studies, but regardless this doesn't conflict with the food statement. Fatty and sugary foods offer more "calories per dollar" and you do need calories to live. Also for the poor food might be the one pleasure they can afford. When you're life is hard a bland low-fat diet is maybe less appealing than normal.

Although unemployment and depression is likely also a factor in obesity among the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,536,331 times
Reputation: 10490
The article explains that they didn't mean "lacking work ethic" by the use of the word "lazy." What they meant was time spent in sedentary activity as opposed to time spent in activity that requires physical effort. That was actually pretty poor journalism, because anyone would think that lazy meant, well, lazy!

P.S. to TANaples: we may need to draw a distinction between New York City and upstate New York!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,973,190 times
Reputation: 1661
Default You probably have a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'd be interested in the studies, but regardless this doesn't conflict with the food statement. Fatty and sugary foods offer more "calories per dollar" and you do need calories to live. Also for the poor food might be the one pleasure they can afford. When you're life is hard a bland low-fat diet is maybe less appealing than normal.

Although unemployment and depression is likely also a factor in obesity among the poor.
I work with poor children in the schools. They get free breakfasts and many free or reduced costs lunches. The school more or less tries to serve healthly foods, but also does serve sugary desserts for lunch.

We have one little 4 year old girl who is clinically obese. Her mother and grandparents are normal sized people. However, her mother always sends her to school with little baggies of treats. Breakfast she eats nothing but milk, and of course, her sugarly treats. Lunch time generally all she eats is the dessert of cookies or cake. She will also pour ketchup and dip the dessert in it or just eat it by the spoonful. The teacher has tried to tell her mother not to send these snacks into school, but she still does. As you said, they are poor and it seems the mother is giving her this junk food to make her daughter happy.

In contrast to this, there are also many Haitian children. They are on the opposite side of the coin so to speak. They eat almost nothing except rice and beans. They will not eat cookies or any sweet dessert. They devour any fresh fruit (oranges, bananas, applies) they see. They are all very normal, if not underweight. They also are poor, but apparently, their parents, and culture, don't give them the same foods that "American" poor parents do.

You do have a point as to food being used as a "comfort". With children, however, parents, not necessarily the schools, play more of a role in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,523 posts, read 7,468,006 times
Reputation: 10927
Not suprised to see Michigan on the lazy state list, or the Obese state list. Im actually suprised to see we are not #1 on both lists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,944,914 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'd be interested in the studies, but regardless this doesn't conflict with the food statement. Fatty and sugary foods offer more "calories per dollar" and you do need calories to live. Also for the poor food might be the one pleasure they can afford. When you're life is hard a bland low-fat diet is maybe less appealing than normal.

Although unemployment and depression is likely also a factor in obesity among the poor.
Fatty, starchy, sugary foods are generally less expensive than fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grain breads. Pretty much in line with what you said.

I just linked to the yahoo search page instead of giving a dozen different links. Whole bunch of studies have been done on it.

Obesity poverty studies - Yahoo! Search Results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 03:28 PM
 
6 posts, read 3,543 times
Reputation: 18
No surprises on that list other than Maine, Florida and Arizona. The rest have tons of lazy people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
42 posts, read 97,803 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmrules1988 View Post
No surprises on that list other than Maine, Florida and Arizona. The rest have tons of lazy people

As they say, "Ignorance is bliss". DA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 12:27 AM
JBM
 
Location: New Mexico!
558 posts, read 932,465 times
Reputation: 490
I didn't read the entire thread, but I have to say that if laziness is just based on productivity in the economy or what not, then that's sad. Maybe we should be a little more lazy and spend time with our friends and family. I refuse to ever work more than 40 hours a week… You'll never be on your death bed wishing you'd have worked more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 12:48 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,580,618 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Sorry, but while your point is valid there are no "superior" Northern genes. If you're trying to link genetics with longevity, obesity, etc then what you're referring to is the fact that the South has a much higher rate of black people (who genetically are more predisposed to obesity) than the North. However, the main reason is cultural and can be tied to the food and lifestyle of Southerner's. This should be obvious as plenty of black people aren't obese and the same is true for Southerners as a whole.
I don't think that the South is that much "fatter" any longer. I'm seeing more and more obese people all over the country now than at any time prior. It used to be that I'd notice a slight difference between the South and other regions, but now when I travel, it seems the same is true for every region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top