U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 PM

38 posts, read 80,072 times

Advertisements

I know that this has been on here before but the thread was old. I am looking for the best place to teach. I understand that the “perfect” school does not exist. We are up for moving to just about any state and we will use information that is posted on here to help us pin point a certain place, so I can start getting my licenses in order. I understand that I am looking for a lot of information, but please respond if you have anything to share.

These are things I am looking to learn about:
1. Salary-- public, private, magnet
2. Cost of Living—taxes and housing, we would want to buy at least a 4 bedroom home
3. Area jobs—my husband works at a furniture factory now, so we would need something around that he could do; distribution center, other factories, places like that.
4. I will not know anyone around to help me get a job, so I don’t need the schools where you have to know someone to in the door. I don't have any teaching experince besides student teaching.
5. Do you need your Masters completed to work in the state?
6. Student Loan repayment programs, canceled after a certain amount of time of working for the school.
7. How hard is it really to get on at the school.
8. Crime—Really?? My daughter is almost 4 and I don’t want to have to worry all the time, with that also what about daycare, preschools, waitlist??
9. We are a mixed couple. I am white and my husband is black. We really do not want that to be an issue.

I have a Bachelors in Elementary Education, with endorsement hours in Biology, General Science, and Social Studies. I am working on my Masters in Elementary Education and should be done at the end of summer ’11.

We went to San Antonio back in ’05 and loved it there. Don’t really know how much had changed. Texas is the place that we have looked into the most. Like Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, or maybe El Paso. My biggest question with going to Texas is would my husband or myself be able to find work if we can’t speak Spanish. I plan to start learning within the next few months.

Last edited by shoebottom; 07-27-2010 at 09:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 03:07 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,963,866 times
I hear good things about Delaware.
The teachers salary compliments the COL there better than most states. It's doing a lot of growing, and schools are needing more and more teachers. I see that you're looking in TX, so I don't know how desirable or doable DE is for you.

Newark/Dover areas are worth the checking out.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,971,762 times
I go on a teachers board, and MANY Texas teachers are strugglign to find jobs. I think there are hiring freezes in some of those areas.

I think the DC suburbs are hiring in VA and areas of NC (like Raleigh). I think those 2 areas that are affected the least.

My daughter teaches in NYC, and there is a shortage of Science teachers. There is no hiring freeze in your certification. What's nice is that if you teach at a Title 1 school, you get an extra $3400 a year. Also, if you stay in a Title 1 school for 5 years and teach in a shortage area (science), the state pays off something like $30,000 of your loans. I don't know if you would be interested in NYC, but let me know and I can have her give you more info.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 PM

Another thing that I did think to add was

what about any help with relocation?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:06 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
[quote=shoebottom;15228322][font=Calibri][font=Times New Roman]
[color=black]

Check out Greensboro-High Point, NC. It is the furniture manufacturing center of the US. There are some great schools there and overall a pretty good public school system (Guilford County Public Schools).

The average teacher salary in NC is around $43K and varies according to district, public versus private and level of education.

2. Cost of Living—taxes and housing, we would want to buy at least a 4 bedroom home
A very nice 4 bedroom, 2 bath house in an upscale neighborhood in Greensboro runs around $200K. Taxes vary but average around $2500 to $3000 per year. The cost of living overall is fairly low.

3. Area jobs—my husband works at a furniture factory now, so we would need something around that he could do; distribution center, other factories, places like that.
As mentioned prior, Greensboro (more specifically High Point) is the furniture manufacturing capital of the US. With his experience he should find a wide variety of companies to choose from.

4. I will not know anyone around to help me get a job, so I don’t need the schools where you have to know someone to in the door. I don't have any teaching experince besides student teaching.

I can't be certain but I do not think that is a factor here.

No

6. Student Loan repayment programs, canceled after a certain amount of time of working for the school.
I don't think so unless perhaps with an difficult assignment location or in-demand subject (math and sciences).

Not sure

8. Crime—Really?? My daughter is almost 4 and I don’t want to have to worry all the time, with that also what about daycare, preschools, waitlist??
Crime is quite low in the areas you would be living in

9. We are a mixed couple. I am white and my husband is black. We really do not want that to be an issue.
Greensboro is fairly progressive, there's actually a long history of Quakers living in the area.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:19 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,971,762 times
I will answer about NYC public schools, from what I know based on what my daughter has told me over the last few years:

Starting salary for NYC schools is around 45,000. Ending salary is 100,000. Your first 4 years teaching in a Title 1 school you make $3400 extra. NYC pay is very high.

Depends where you live. If you're in the outer-boroughs, taxes are very low (around 1000 a year max), but housing is expensive (around 600,000 and up). In the suburbs, taxes are around 7000 and up, a 4 bedroom house is around 300,000 and up.

More factories in the northern NJ suburbs. But you can look into this more. I don't know too much about it.

That's fine, schools prefer new teachers because they're cheaper.

You need 5 years to complete it.

You get $35,000 after 4 years of working in a Title 1 school (along with the $3400 a year). They really pay you a lot extra working in Title 1 schools in NYC. Most schools are Title 1 in the city anyway.

Harder than it has been, but you can still get something.

NYC is the safest big city in the country. My daughter taught in the south Bronx and south Jamaica (in a better area now), and nothing ever happened to her in the day or nighttime. Also, the suburbs are known to be the safest ones in the country. Very nice area.

No, it is very liberal in the NYC area. There are gay couples who bought houses in the neighborhood where my daughter is on Long Island.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 PM

56,619 posts, read 80,930,134 times
This might help: Central New York Jobs in Education--K12

Finger Lakes Jobs in Education--K12

Buffalo/Niagara Jobs in Education--K12

Mohawk Valley Jobs in Education--K12

Capital Region Jobs in Education--K12

Southern Tier Jobs in Education--K12

North Country Jobs in Education--K12

Furniture for Every Room at Raymour and Flanigan - Career Center - Opportunities

STICKLEY - Collector Quality Furniture Since 1900

Employment Opportunities - Dunk & Bright in Syracuse, NY We are located in Syracuse and can accommodate delivery to many cities and towns within Upstate New York.

Central New York Jobs

Old 07-30-2010, 05:49 PM

Thank you so much for answering my questions. Any other areas want to have an input. I would greatly appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or