U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 03:12 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,121,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
no, i know they aren't, but they experience more moderate weather, and I have heard of palm trees existing as far north as Vancouver on the west coast. I've wanted to hear if that's true. It's not the southern culture or latitude I care about, its the weather!
Well consider that some types of palm trees can exist in the New York area. Some of the most cold-hardy types can survive to temperatures around 0F to slightly lower depending it siting. That puts the hardiest ones growable to places as far inland and North as St. Louis and Cincinatti. I remember seeing long terms studies done on this with growing palm trees unprotected in Cincinatti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 03:45 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,985,505 times
I cannot picture palm trees covered in snow. Most of the NY Malls that plant palm trees in the summer take they away in the Falll. They don't quite "go" when all the other trees are turning gold, red, and orange.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:49 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,826,809 times
Honestly, I do not think there is a northern southern city.

Miami does not count folks, it is more Latin American than even American in many ways culturally. It's topography and climate resembles more of the Bahamas than anything in the North.

There are times where I even leave Washington DC in the air, I may quite possibly be the only person who views it as neither northern nor southern. It is exactly what it is meant to be, and that is a neutral location and a district. It has more European characteristics than anything else (architecturally) and is far to cosmopolitan to be Southern or Northern.

Perhaps someone can make a case for Richmond, Virgina? I do not know enough about it.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,994,055 times
Your best bet is probably somewhere in South Florida. I would go with Virginia second.

Are in interested in the southwest?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 PM

331 posts, read 784,212 times
Geographically it would be D.C., Baltimore, and Wilmington...

Old 07-28-2010, 08:36 PM

22,345 posts, read 32,221,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
Geographically it would be D.C., Baltimore, and Wilmington...

Wilmington always makes me chuckle - the would make the Philly MSA southern

Old 07-28-2010, 08:56 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,584,239 times
What about Tampa? It's not culturally Southern. Orlando is another similar city, but very touristy.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:50 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,121,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I cannot picture palm trees covered in snow. Most of the NY Malls that plant palm trees in the summer take they away in the Falll. They don't quite "go" when all the other trees are turning gold, red, and orange.
I think that most of the ones used for decorations are not among the hardier types. Most of the hardier types are also smaller trees or shrubs. In terms of New York the hardiest could only survive in the NYC area and Long island.

Actually some types of palm trees were designed in nature to handle heavy snowfall, mainly types native to China.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:51 PM

46 posts, read 138,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
no, i know they aren't, but they experience more moderate weather, and I have heard of palm trees existing as far north as Vancouver on the west coast. I've wanted to hear if that's true. It's not the southern culture or latitude I care about, its the weather!
Windmill Palms, Needle palms, Mediterranean fan palms, and Dwarf Palmetto can all be grown in colder climates. Cabbage Palms (Sabal palmetto) only really survives as far north as southeastern Virginia though.......

Old 07-28-2010, 11:01 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,350,630 times
Miami? San Diego?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or