U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 03:58 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
I don't think San Francisco is diverse enough for me. I may be wrong, but I understand that the diversity is predominantly Asian. I want a place that has everyone, Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, Asians, Africans, Europeans. A really huge melting point
Actually, San Francisco is the second most "diverse" county in the US(county/city is the same) behind Queens County in NY. So, you would be fine in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 AM

122 posts, read 248,394 times
I have lived in Dallas,Atlanta,and Houston. Grew up in NJ and worked in Chiacago on job details a few months out the year. I also visited Charlotte NC about 5 times. NYC is a GREAT city. If you can afford it I would say go for it. NC is nice but after a week or so it becomes a bit boring. Atlanta is nice but crime is crazy there. I lived there for 2yrs. Atlanta has major sprawl and you will need a car for sure. NC & Atlanta job market is a bit shaky. I love TX you can not go wrong with TEXAS. People are super friendly and there are alot of things to do....not to mention the great COL. Awsome! Dallas or Austin has alot to offer. I didn't really care for Houston. Have you ever considered DC? I think DC is AWSOMEEEEEEEEE there are so many things to do there and it is a melting pot for sure. The job market there is STRONG. Great place to be single...young and hip. No car is needed. Excellent public transportation system. DC is pricey though. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 AM

613 posts, read 2,025,349 times
DC is a good suggestion. It's still expensive, but a bit cheaper than NYC. DC got hammered with snow this year, but on the average, the winters are milder than what you'd find in NYC and Chicago. It's also diverse with lots going on. Tons of transplants living there so you're less likely to encounter people whose social group consists of their BFFs from preschool and therefore, the group is hard to break into.

Places like NYC, Chicago and DC are great for singles because more people tend to get married later in life (starting in their late 20s) so there is a happening singles scene. I've lived in NYC and am now in Boston and I don't know how it is in Indy, but online dating is very popular for the 20/30 something set. There's no stigma. This is generalizing a bit, but from my experience, people in the South tend to get married somewhat younger (excluding cities like Charlotte and Atlanta).

Now, most big cities have at least somewhat of a rep for being "unfriendly," but that's because they are so big and everyone is into their own life. You've done a great job trying to get involved in Indy. Do the same wherever you move to. You have to put yourself out there, but you already know that. You'll meet rude people wherever you go. Don't take it personally. IMO, intramural sports are a great way to meet people. DC has a very popular kickball league full of young professionals.

NYC or Chicago may be a better fit for financial services though. Now, I don't know about Indy weather, but I don't think the weather is THAT much worse. I suppose it becomes more of an issue since the NYC and Chi are more walking/public transp cities as opposed to car cities.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:21 PM

3,132 posts, read 3,349,191 times
Wonder if you have thought about London? Not sure what your individual position is with regards to having what is required(experience,skills) to be accepted by an employer there,but worth a thought.
London being a financial centre of some significance,if not now perhaps a little later. I feel it could tick a lot of the boxes to your preferences.
Failing that regardless of cost,it would have to be New York. I'd give it a year ,if it was me,and see how you land.
Good Luck.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:17 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,450,131 times
I agree, San Francisco is diverse along with Chicago and New York on your list which all three will offer the most arrary of cultures. Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston can also be diverse. I think Atlanta is also somewhat divese but unlike other cities mention it is mainly diverse by just two ethnics when compared to San Francisco etc...

Old 09-06-2010, 03:12 PM

459 posts, read 1,125,044 times
I wouldn't worry about comparing SC to NC, Atlanta or Texas. They're no longer really southern (except more rural parts of NC) b/c so many are moving there from your area and the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.