U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 PM

56,559 posts, read 80,847,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Portland or Seattle seem like a good fit.

Denver's winters are actually pretty mild and most of the time snow melts away pretty quick so that might be another option, plus the city itself is pretty liberal in that regard.
If Denver is suggested, then Albany NY could be considered due to the fact that it averages only 4 more inches of snow in the winter(64 vs. 60). It has the Center Square neighborhood, with the eccentric Lark Street running through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 PM

935 posts, read 1,714,780 times
Sacramento, Portland, or Seattle are some of the cities I'd recommend. All three are on the West Coast, decent job market, liberal and progressive just like Austin.

As former Sacramento resident I also see similarities between Sac and Austin. They are both capitol cities, have major universities, liberal, overshadowed from the other big metros in their respective states. Plus Sacto has more of a midwestern feel. It's a city in the Central Valley surrounded by farmland and smack between the Pacific Ocean and the Sierra Mountains.

It's geography is unique too. From Sacto you can go to SF, the ocean, Napa, snow, Lake Tahoe, Reno for gambling, and Yosemite.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,967,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Those cities are hardly "liberal." Maybe they are by southern standards, but up north those cities would be considered moderate to conservative. Some of them (Chattanooga, Wilmington) are very conservative.

You're not going to find what you want in the south. I suggest Hawaii. Honolulu seems to have what you're looking for.

I was thinking the same thing. To someone in the south, those places are probably liberal. But to someone from up north, they're moderate, a little conservative.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,794,440 times
Portland, Oregon
Denver, Colorado

I highly recommend Denver, I can't believe no one has suggested it yet. It is one super awesome city.
16th Street can draw any parallels to 6th Street Austin and even surpass it.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,090,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Portland, Oregon
Denver, Colorado

I highly recommend Denver, I can't believe no one has suggested it yet. It is one super awesome city.
16th Street can draw any parallels to 6th Street Austin and even surpass it.

Yeah Denver is an awsome city yet another one of my favorite mountain cities after Phoenix. Albuquerque is a city I want to go see sometime looks nice.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:14 AM

7,594 posts, read 9,446,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If Denver is suggested, then Albany NY could be considered due to the fact that it averages only 4 more inches of snow in the winter(64 vs. 60). It has the Center Square neighborhood, with the eccentric Lark Street running through it.
I think that the OP wanted a warm-weather winter city. Albany, with its heavy snowfall and night temps dropping near single digits, would not qualify.

Unless you're being sarcastic?...

Old 07-30-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I think that the OP wanted a warm-weather winter city. Albany, with its heavy snowfall and night temps dropping near single digits, would not qualify.

Unless you're being sarcastic?...
I understand, but someone mentioned Denver, which gets only 4 inches less snow than Albany. Albany actually doesn't get as much snow as other Upstate NY areas.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM

7,594 posts, read 9,446,457 times
Although Albany is quite affordable, I'd recommend that the OP make a visit, or at least look at some on-line photos of the city. Albany is an old-line, upstate NY urban area, with a very old housing stock, and filled with cloudy, snowy days, and a rather overcast atmosphere. Much of the city hasn't changed in 70 years. Someone coming from a sun-kissed, sprawling youth-oriented Southwestern city is going to experience some culture shock, as well.

But, you never know...

Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Although Albany is quite affordable, I'd recommend that the OP make a visit, or at least look at some on-line photos of the city. Albany is an old-line, upstate NY urban area, with a very old housing stock, and filled with cloudy, snowy days, and a rather overcast atmosphere. Much of the city hasn't changed in 70 years. Someone coming from a sun-kissed, sprawling youth-oriented Southwestern city is going to experience some culture shock, as well.

But, you never know...
Good points, as we could suggest a couple of Northeastern no brainers like Ithaca NY and Burlington VT, if snow/winter wasn't and issue.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,610 times
Thanks for your suggestions everyone! A little bit more about me, based upon some of the comments. I'm 33, single, and female. As far as salary goes, I will probably not be making too much money for the first two years while I am getting my clinical license, although it will depend on the agency. After that, my plan is to go into private practice as a psychotherapist, which will allow me to earn a higher salary. It can be difficult to get a practice up and running though.

I pretty much mean liberal in all senses of the word - socially, politically, and tolerant of eccentrics. Mostly this desire comes from growing up in and visiting Houston, where I always felt like a misfit. It was quite interesting to move from Houston to Austin, where suddenly I was "normal." I do love Austin because it sort of draws in people from all over Texas who don't quite make sense anywhere else in Texas. And as a social worker, I lean pretty hard to the left when it comes to politics. Socially liberal is important to me also, since I do have a dancing, crystal-loving, mystical side and I don't want to live anywhere I feel I have to hide that.

I am interested in the SE/mid-Atlantic, but I don't really know anyone who lives out there. Most of my friends outside of Texas are on the West Coast or in Chicago. I like the suggestion of Sacramento and will definitely check that out. I'm also intrigued by Denver, and I love the mountains, but winter! Can someone tell me what the winters are like there? When does winter start and end and what is it like when it is the most wintery? I have also considered Hawaii and I would like to know more about Honolulu.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.