U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:46 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,637,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissonwetglass View Post
Thanks for your suggestions everyone! A little bit more about me, based upon some of the comments. I'm 33, single, and female. As far as salary goes, I will probably not be making too much money for the first two years while I am getting my clinical license, although it will depend on the agency. After that, my plan is to go into private practice as a psychotherapist, which will allow me to earn a higher salary. It can be difficult to get a practice up and running though.

I pretty much mean liberal in all senses of the word - socially, politically, and tolerant of eccentrics. Mostly this desire comes from growing up in and visiting Houston, where I always felt like a misfit. It was quite interesting to move from Houston to Austin, where suddenly I was "normal." I do love Austin because it sort of draws in people from all over Texas who don't quite make sense anywhere else in Texas. And as a social worker, I lean pretty hard to the left when it comes to politics. Socially liberal is important to me also, since I do have a dancing, crystal-loving, mystical side and I don't want to live anywhere I feel I have to hide that.

I am interested in the SE/mid-Atlantic, but I don't really know anyone who lives out there. Most of my friends outside of Texas are on the West Coast or in Chicago. I like the suggestion of Sacramento and will definitely check that out. I'm also intrigued by Denver, and I love the mountains, but winter! Can someone tell me what the winters are like there? When does winter start and end and what is it like when it is the most wintery? I have also considered Hawaii and I would like to know more about Honolulu.

Thanks again!
Why not go to chicago if you have friends there, will certainly make things easier, winter is not that bad... have you ever actually been in a winter? I say this as somebody who grew up in FL and lived in Chicago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,616 times
I don't think I could handle a Chicago winter. My experience with winter is mostly from one year when I went to school in Ohio. I actually really liked the late fall/early winter - nice snowfall, little ice, cold weather but not ridiculous. But once the real winter hit in January, it was all WTF! IT IS 15 DEGREES OUTSIDE AND YOU EXPECT ME TO CARRY ON WITH MY LIFE AS IF EVERYTHING IS NORMAL? I CAN'T EVEN WALK ANYWHERE BECAUSE OF THE ICE! WHY WOULD PEOPLE EVEN LIVE HERE?

My mom is from West Virginia and my dad is from Kentucky, so I also have some experience with their winters, but not a lot. I can handle snow and the occasional below freezing day but once it gets icy and it is below freezing for multiple days, I start to freak out a little. I think it is the ice that really scares me, especially with the expectation that I would still have to go to work and live my life. I like the way we do it in Austin. Ice = shut the town down.

So, I feel like I could handle more of a winter than we get here, but when push comes to shove - I'm from Texas. Winter is something that happens to other people.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:26 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,874,511 times
Another vote for the Research Triangle in NC (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill). Though a polycentric metro area, I think you'd find a lot of similarities to Austin in the make up of the people in that area. The Triangle is NC's education mecca. It's a high tech/bio tech/pharm. driven economy and Raleigh is the state capital. It's fast growing like Austin and has the state's best economy. The Triangle is also the most liberal large metro in the state. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are probably the most liberal though each of the major cities is run by Democrats (as is the state itself). It's certainly not Massachusetts but it's certainly not the deep South either. I'd imagine that a liberal Texan would find it easy to feel at home there.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:06 PM

5,736 posts, read 8,810,873 times
Your crystal mystical side would lovelovelove Asheville, but that won't pay the bills. I think the Raliegh area is best for job prospects and you can plan weekend trips to Asheville.

Greenville/Spartanburg SC are more conservative but they are easy day trips to Asheville. A bit warmer, too.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:43 PM

892 posts, read 1,936,962 times
Possibly Charlottesville, Va, or Roanoke city. Not Roanoke county.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,962 times
So I know this post is a few days old, but I'd like to suggest Santa Cruz, CA. Very liberal, tons of outdoor activities, very mild winter, lots of great/eccentric people... It's by the beach (which is always a plus in my book). Can't speak to the dance scene or job market for social work, but definitely a cool place with lots to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.