Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 08:11 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times

Advertisements

I was originally just going to have hate, but figured it would be too negative.

San Antonio
Love: Proximity to the hill country, 2 hours from coast, Laid back atmosphere, Friendly people.

Hate: Crazy drivers, small town thinking, hot summers, sometimes boring,

Probably more, but what about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 09:04 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Dallas

Love: Big city atmosphere, I like the way you can see the skyline from miles away, the growth, the cold, the colorful skyline, Dallas has alot of lakes, Fair Park, the shopping, the new Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, The Park (Woodall Rodgers Deck Park), The Arts District, Uptown, the low cost of living, Trinity River Project, North Dallas (North Dallas is a very nice area, I wish I lived there), and more.

Hate: Downtown, the traffic, the heat, everything is brown in the wintertime, the Trinity River (Fort Worth should open the dams so the river can have more water downstream) , Victory Park (It's dead), We have too many Walmarts (125 and counting in the Metroplex), South Dallas (the city should try to fix it up), Dallas is so segregated (Most of the Whites live north of the Trinity River, Hispanics and Blacks live south of the Trinity River), Too many Dollar stores (They think if you live in the hood the only place you shop at is Family Dollar, Dollar General, and Dollar Tree), Most of the trees are in South Dallas and Pleasant Grove (Great Trinity Forest), Oak Cliff is getting neglected (Oak Cliff was the North Dallas of the 50s and 60s. My mother told me Oak Cliff was one of the nicest areas in the city, look at it now), I have alot more but I am tired of writing.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Dallas

Love: Big city atmosphere, I like the way you can see the skyline from miles away, the growth, the cold, the colorful skyline, Dallas has alot of lakes, Fair Park, the shopping, the new Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, The Park (Woodall Rodgers Deck Park), The Arts District, Uptown, the low cost of living, Trinity River Project, North Dallas (North Dallas is a very nice area, I wish I lived there), and more.

Hate: Downtown, the traffic, the heat, everything is brown in the wintertime, the Trinity River (Fort Worth should open the dams so the river can have more water downstream) , Victory Park (It's dead), We have too many Walmarts (125 and counting in the Metroplex), South Dallas (the city should try to fix it up), Dallas is so segregated (Most of the Whites live north of the Trinity River, Hispanics and Blacks live south of the Trinity River), Too many Dollar stores (They think if you live in the hood the only place you shop at is Family Dollar, Dollar General, and Dollar Tree), Most of the trees are in South Dallas and Pleasant Grove (Great Trinity Forest), Oak Cliff is getting neglected (Oak Cliff was the North Dallas of the 50s and 60s. My mother told me Oak Cliff was one of the nicest areas in the city, look at it now), I have alot more but I am tired of writing.
\
That's what I hate about San Antonio too, or any city for that matter. Does every area need the same stores? Also about San Antonio, lots of poor planning.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:34 PM

569 posts, read 1,058,515 times
I could go on and on about this, but I've given it a lot of consideration (I want to move) so I think I've got it pretty whittled down:

DC
---
Love - open city / lots of green and sky (not a concrete jungle), great cultural activities both free and cost (all major sports, museums, symphonies, concerts, cultural festivals, memorials, etc.), multiple big-time colleges, many recreational athletic leagues, ethnically diverse, many young and physically attractive people, very intelligent and educated population, history, architecture, a ton of very good restaurants of almost any type you can imagine, ease of long-distance travel (3 major international airports within 1.5 hours of where I live), many good high-paying jobs, my brother and friends

In any given week in summer I'm likely to play softball, baseball, and possibly flag football, go to a major rock concert or attend a professional baseball game, go out to eat at a nice local restaurant with great food, and take a walk along the river through a beautiful town built in the 1700s with many of the original buildings still in tact.

Hate - TRAFFIC(one of the worst in the country), COMMUTE (one of the worst in the country), COST OF LIVING (one of the highest in the country), winters (I hate cold), many self-important people that are focused first and foremost on climbing social and corporate ladders, heavy emphasis on politics, no great quick nature vacations (beaches and mountains are both about 3 hours away), transient nature of the population, too many "gray" days (about nation's average), vacillating weather

Every summer I ask myself why I ever think about leaving the DC area. Every winter I ask myself why I ever think about staying...

Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Charleston

Pros---

The mountains, the Kanawha River, not a huge city feel, friendly people, the history, the way the city is laid out, Lots of trees, downtown, the large old factory buildings, the neighborhoods, Tutors Buscuit World,

Cons---

The lack of new developments for awhile, the lazy people, the ugly buildings, The lack of an International Airport, the bad weather in winter, how young people hate both the town and the state, the lack of modivation

Old 08-06-2010, 09:31 AM

69 posts, read 149,164 times
Default Vb

VA Beach:

Love: it is home x33 years, my family is here, lots of things to do, the water, bike paths and trails, laid back locals and nightlife

Hate: heat, humidity, jet noise, a lot of transient people due to military....I don't hate the military....but having so many different people in and out constantly makes it much less South and less grounded, it is overbuilt, rude people, boring architecture

Old 08-06-2010, 11:06 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Newark

I love: The Ironbound section, it has a unique feel to it and it has a lot of beautiful women roaming around shopping- Plus the dining options is phenomenal there... Where I live (Forest Hill) has a beautiful housing stock, and there's a lot of history throughout.. The Business/University Heights areas are ok.

I hate: Western Newark- Anything west of MLK BLVD is a ghetto, drug infested hell hole... The industrial section is an eye sore when on the highway, it's a shame that it's the only representation outsiders usually get when they see Newark.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Lexington
Pro's-
* progressive urban planning. It has a strict urban boundary/ green belt btw that leaves farmland btw Lex's edge and the edge of the surrounding towns. Also lots of high density suburban infills (townhomes) and redevelopment near downtown (condos). Also no freeways going through the downtown area - I-75/64 skirt just outside the city.
* Arguably the most urban & clean downtown of any American city it's size. Good density, nice mix of old and new buildings, and it's pretty vibrant by US standards
* Good amount of historic buildings for it's size. Probably more than Atlanta and Houston combined (not that that's saying much)
* Public schools are thriving (based on test scores). Partly due to "magnet" programs, but still most top students here don't go to private school.

Cons-
* Traffic is very heavy. No freeways going downtown is good for historic preservation but bad for traffic flow.
* ^ related... almost non existent public transit. Most buses only go by a stop once per hour, if not longer
* School districts are illogical constantly changed. Many families here move every couple of years to keep their kids from having to change schools. In my neighborhood elementary kids are bused 5 miles past 3 other elementary schools!!
* New developments are basically high density sprawl. 2 places they just built replica 1920s rowhomes but in areas with zero walkability or transit.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:53 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times
I'm in a small town about 15 minutes from Roanoke. I LOVE that wherever we go, we run into people we know! That can be good and bad depending lol, but the kids usually always find friends when we go somewhere, that's cool! Also I love the sports community in my town, hanging at the kids football/baseball practices and games...I've only been here a couple of years but this year during sports I feel like I belong now! Hate about my town? NOthing comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.