U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do people in northern virginia have an southern accent?
Yes of course every place has it's own accents 31 56.36%
kind of 8 14.55%
No they sound like any other northerner 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:25 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,136,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
From this statement, it's obvious you have never been here.

People may think Richmond is vastly more southern because of the various civil war monuments and convince themselves that they hear it at every place they go. But Richmond has also had many people move in from NY and other places, not as much as NoVa, but still a very sizeable number. A co worker of my step dads who works in Richmond who is from NY originally claimed that he was shocked by the amount of ex NYers he had run into, and that Richmond was nothing like he expected. Again because of preconceived notions. I go there often and don't notice accents, unless it's an older person.

This from someone born and raised in VA who had a friend from NJ and when I'd go with him to NJ on trips and his friends would meet me they exclaimed, "But you don't have an accent!" And another fellow who I met through a social occasion who is originally from NY or NJ thought I was from up north too. My guitar teacher who was from VT thought I was from up north as well as my boss who is from MD. So when I say I have no discernable accent as I did in my previous post, I mean it. And I'm not the only one here that doesn't have one. There are many that do however, but they are generally older or are in agricultural type employment. This is a big state with 7 million + residents. To think that every single person has an accent is absurd on so many levels. It'd be like me assuming that every person in MN talked like they did in the movie Fargo.
I've been to Richmond, VA, and ya'll have accents TO ME. It's not that big of a deal. I have one too, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 PM

811 posts, read 1,742,891 times
No.
Natives to NOVA have a slight accent...such as saying "Warshington"....but since they area is flooded with transplants this has really faded.

So 40 years ago and lifelong adult NOVAS...yes.
Everyone else...no.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:34 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,136,989 times
Are you from the area? If so then you may be biased. There's a drawl, let's say. It's not like I can't understand a word Virginians are saying, but Richmond has a drawl that I am not used to hearing, so it's an accent to me. There really aren't any states with NO accents, save for some Western states and maybe Iowa or Nebraska, where a lot of TV anchors are from.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:33 PM

166 posts, read 117,354 times
Yes we do. The key is, to look at the NATIVES. The people who's family have been here for hundreds of years. Now if you're talking about transplants and other folks, no they don't.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:16 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,267,707 times
I've met a few from Northern Virginia, and their accents sound a little neutral like the younger generations in the area I'm from (Raleigh/Durham, NC). However, I think you'll find a hint of southern thrown in. I'm a North Carolina native, so I do have an accent even though it might not be terribly strong since I'm from Raleigh. I have one friend from Arlington, Virginia and sometimes when he's speaking to me, I can hear a TINY hint of southern in his accent. But for the most part, it's pretty neutral. However, he's a younger guy, a college kid. Northern Virginia, Richmond, and Raleigh/Durham. All three are in the same boat. The younger generations are now speaking in more of an "East Coast accent" in these three metros. However, with a hint of southern thrown in, probably more extreme in Richmond and Raleigh/Durham.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:08 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,464,129 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhZ5B16TYZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDL7eBQK-bM

Old 11-21-2014, 07:21 AM

5,064 posts, read 4,094,273 times
Baltimore:

Funny Traci Braxton Clips - YouTube

Sisqo on if He Lives Off Success of "Thong Song" - YouTube

MoNique Talks About The NFL Ray Rice Incident - YouTube

Trey Songz Talks Women, Relationships, More (Singersroom) - YouTube

I hear a difference between these and NOVA, all are certainly Mid-Atlantic though.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:23 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,811,717 times
When I went to connecticut people said I sounded like I was from there. So I guess we have more of a northern accent.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:15 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,386,896 times
Trey is from VA....Petersburg to be exact, a Richmond suburb.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,135 times
Red face Richmond, VA vs Baltimore, MD

Having lived in Baltimore, MD for 5 years before moving to DC and now Richmond, VA there is a very big difference.

Looking at Generation Y there is still a southern accent in Richmond, VA. People in RVA still say fuss, mess, fix, they say scrape instead of plow, teeny instead of tiny, and when it snows more than a few inches - the world is ending. There are a ton of transplants (myself included) here in RVA though and that is quickly changing the demographic.

Baltimore is much more northeastern. It's a lot more similar to Philly than it would be to DC. There is a noticeable accent evolving in NoVa that's basically a version of articulate valley girl. It's quite odd.

I have a Maryland accent, I say "awn" for "on" I also say many words with the extended "o" like phone.

I say you guys and soda and iced tea.

Richmond is quickly becoming like a small DC with people flooding out of the capital for more affordable housing... The long history of Richmond being the capital of the confederacy is very much a dying breed. That is not really a valid assessment of Richmond City in 2015. It's very much a Mid-Atlantic city that's part of the Megalopolis, which you can read further about on wiki.

Long story short, Baltimore, DC and RVA may be south of the mason dixon line, but if you want to see the real south, just go to NC... Now that is the bonafide SOUTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.