Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:26 PM

6 posts, read 8,565 times

Advertisements

This is my first Post on City Data!

I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me a Affordable Gay city that has warm weather within the United States. I am a 25 y/o single gay male and just received my license as a Physical Therapy Assistant and is looking to move somewhere I can call home. I'm not really interested in Bars or clubs, but some active atmosphere would be nice. It would also be nice to one day go out on a date with a guy and not have the whole restaurant stare like they do in the backhills of PA.

I would like to live somewhere that is warmer than North Eastern, PA (where I currently located in). I am just so sick of the snow and cold winters. I prefer not to move to MD just because I have family there that I do not get along with. Some of the key preferences are:

1) Warmer Climate
2)Gay Accepting
3) Somewhat affordable, Im not really interested in cities like San Fran or D.C. due to the high living costs
4) A place with a lot of health care jobs if available (usually where there is a large Senor Citizen Population)

Any information would very appreciative!
Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 04:29 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,044 times
Houston sounds like the obvious answer. I don't think there's any city in the world with more hospitals. It's pretty cheap, and they have a lesbian mayor.

But otherwise, it's 2015 and all major US cities, even those in the South, are at very least tolerant to LGB (but not T) people. And there are health care jobs everywhere.

All the major sunbelt cities match your criteria. It'd be hard for me to narrow that down without knowing what you're looking for in terms of size of metro or your hobbies.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:33 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
New Orleans perhaps?

Old 02-01-2015, 06:37 PM

I really don't have too many hobbies, I do like art very much and used to draw and paint., I also like would like a warmer climate because I like to stay in shape, work out and have a overall healthy lifestyle. As in size, I don't really want to go to a city too big where I constantly feel lost like Los Angeles or something like that. Does anyone know how gay tolerant they are in Florida?

Old 02-01-2015, 06:39 PM

I have looked up New Orleans and everything that I have read stated that they are very unhappy and one of the most unhealthiest states, is this true?

Old 02-01-2015, 06:46 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
I fail to understand how if Louisiana is considered one of the more overweight/unhealthy states this affects you? Do you not like to look at overweight people? Or do you do sympathy eating? New Orleans, like every mid-sized to major city has a littany of major gym offerings, and is a very gay forward city......and is simply the one of the awesomemest places ever. I am doubting the sincerity of these questions, they are Nep-esque.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:03 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,319 times
St. Petersburg, FL
Vegas
Sacramento/Folsom
Phoenix

Old 02-01-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I fail to understand how if Louisiana is considered one of the more overweight/unhealthy states this affects you? Do you not like to look at overweight people? Or do you do sympathy eating? New Orleans, like every mid-sized to major city has a littany of major gym offerings, and is a very gay forward city......and is simply the one of the awesomemest places ever. I am doubting the sincerity of these questions, they are Nep-esque.

I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:27 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessR989 View Post
I have looked up New Orleans and everything that I have read stated that they are very unhappy and one of the most unhealthiest states, is this true?
I moved to New Orleans and regret it. Yes, there's a gay scene but it is dirty and disease infested. There's plenty of New Orleans posters who praise New Orleans but their basis of comparison are whatever backwards place they came from.

Compared to Seattle where I'm from, New Orleans is a 3rd world country. Gay guy down the street got the ever living crap beat out of him by 14 year old black kids. They called him names etc and these people are so stupid that the narative was that the white gay man was asking for it by gentrifying the neighborhood.

There's tons of crime here. The NOPD often will not even respond and when you do they act like you're wasting their time. I suspect this is a tactic used to keep stats down.

Last edited by things and stuff; 02-01-2015 at 07:40 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I moved to New Orleans and regret it. Yes, there's a gay scene but it is dirty and disease infested. There's plenty of New Orleans posters who praise New Orleans but their basis of comparison are whatever backwards place they came from.

Compared to Seattle where I'm from, New Orleans is a 3rd world country. Gay guy down the street got the ever living crap beat out of him by 14 year old black kids. They called him names etc and these people are so stupid that the narative was that it was the white gay man was asking for it by gentrifying the neighborhood.

There's tons of crime here. The NOPD often will not even respond and when you do they act like you're wasting their time. I suspect this is a tactic used to keep stats down.
Like chlamydia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.