Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

Most traffic signals in Kentucky have been switched to LED, which is more visibility and saves energy. I still prefer roundabouts for safety and traffic flow reasons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:58 PM

56 posts, read 284,964 times
All I can say is here in Raleigh, NC Cree is absolutely booming. They make semiconductors and LED components, and business is very good.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:33 PM

49 posts, read 61,442 times
I replaced 2 ceiling fixtures with 100 watt equivalent led fixtures. I've had them about 4 months now and absolutely love them. I also have 4 100watt equivalent bulbs in various lamps. Three are 5000k (daylight) and one is 2700k. The 2700k is too yellow for me but I am sold on these things! I am so done with cfls. If these things last I will be so happy. I got the daylight bulbs through Amazon. Really! Take a test drive. you might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:50 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
I've picked up a couple of CREE models - 60w - at HD for $8-$10 a piece. I use one on a timer in my living room and it works fine. I use the other in a fixture in my old 50s kitchen and it is 100x better than the POS CFL I had in there prior.

I have sensor lights around my house and want to throw fire from those to see long distance. CFLs don't touch it and I have yet to see an affordable LED model. I use 90w incandescent floodlights on the back and sides and a single 200w incandescent standard bulb in front. Quartz halogen use to be my go to choice.

LED technology has a way to go yet.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
I think LED lighting will take over soon for exterior lighting and already has for traffic signals and things like that. But it won't happen any time soon for home interior lighting. I picked up a package of LED light bulbs with subsidies from our local power district, and put them in my bathroom in the fixtures above the sink/mirror (5 bulbs). I had to remove them and switch back to the CFL's a few days later, because the lighting was terrible- so sharp, and it produced a cold, ugly light that is hard to describe. And these were the soft white ones that were supposed to give a more warm, comfortable light.

So, the only lights in my house that are LED are the exterior lights above the garage and above the front and back doors.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:57 PM

28 posts, read 329,314 times
I am happy to see the LED's are becoming a bit more affordable. I did purchase 3 so far, low powered ones that I use in my living room lamps and though they are 40 watt, they are brighter than the cfl's. I can hardly wait for them to come down in price even more. cannot see paying more than a buck to a buck and 1/2 for a bulb considering I need so many for the house. The CFL's save money, but the lighting is terrible.

Just an FYI--compare the watts used by the LED's to CFL. Some of the LED brands use only 1 or 2 watts less than the CFL. I wouldn't pay extra for the led that won't save me some money even if the lighting is better. Some brands of the LED do use more energy than I would like.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Not at the current prices, it won't. When I have to pay nearly $10 for something I used to be able to purchase for under $1, I'm going to stick with the cheaper option!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.