U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 AM

10 posts, read 13,963 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,I am Levis from China,this is my first time visiting CD,I come here by google searching and find this forum is full of vibrancy,so I am posting this thread to ask how much you know about LED lighting and your attitudes on this new lighting technology-energy saving and enviromental friendly.

Currently I am working in a LED lighting manufacturer as an overseas sales,but my confusion is at the begining stage it is really hard to explore the abroad market mostly due to the high price.I am wondering how many of you here will be willing to replace conventional lights by LEDs? and how much is affordable to you,e.g under $15 per bulb? Because many potential clients complain our products are expensive,I want to know the real price expectation in the market of your country.

Any opinion or comment is important to me and will be greatly appreciated.

I am glad to find this place for communication and thank you in advance.

Moderator cut: manual signature

Last edited by Bo; 07-31-2010 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Per TOS, manual signatures are prohibited. Put signature information in your member profile instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 05:56 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,863,570 times
The only thing I know about LED lighting is that I see it in scoreboards in stadiums.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:48 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,173,373 times
I know enough about the LED technology to know that while it holds promise, it isn't quite to the point yet to replace either incandescent or CFL bulbs for household/commercial/industrial general lighting use. In order to break into the US market you would have to actually have a LED bulb replacement that works as promised (I haven't seen one yet, and don't expect to for at least another 5 or 10 years). Price wise, I don't see many making the switch if they are much, if any, more than the cost of a CFL bulb.

This comes from being an Electrician for 28 years and working with the public trying to get them to go to more energy efficient lighting systems. LED just isn't there yet.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:53 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,576,706 times
I would say no, I still won't even use flourescent bulbs. I find the way they make things look rather bad, especially in a household setting. I use older bulbs that are tuned to better lights. My gfs father also has an art studio and will definitely not use flourescent. I do not think LED would be much better.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:21 PM

12,302 posts, read 15,205,734 times
I was one of the early adopters of CFL bulbs. They cost about $18 and were bulky and heavy. But if used more than four hours a day they were economical even then. First put them in hard to reach areas because I didn't want to change them often. I may be wrong, but LED bulbs have additional advantages: they can be dimmed, and frequent switching doesn't hurt them. They are currently more expensive than CFL bulbs, but these advantages will give CFL a good run for the money.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,118,400 times
Well they are better than flourescent bulbs due to not having mercury in them, which makes for some disposal issues that people often ignore. I do see LED more in certain situations that are better than traditional forms of lighting, traffic signals are much easier to see as an LED for example. My guess is being phased in over time this decade to becoming the main form of lights.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:02 PM

3,133 posts, read 8,337,839 times
I use LEDs in my landscape lighting. The old type of bulbs were 4 watts I think and they don't last long. The LEDs I got are 1 watt or less. LEDs are also being used for some reef tanks/aquariums but they are very expensive and nobody knows the long term results yet.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:21 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,240,266 times
I have a LED bulb I've tried in a side night-lamp in the living room. Gives out the equal of 25 watts of light. Kind of a tube lined with LED bulbs. It's ok but the light isn't 100% uniform and it cost something like $15 (but it does only use 1 watt of power). I have also tried one of the outdoor LED security bulbs that Costco sells - it was $14 for one bulb and to be honest, it's not nearly bright enough. I think it puts out the equal of 40 watts and uses 2 watts or something.

I see the potential for these things if they're refined a lot more. On one hand, they come on instantly, use almost no power, and you can use dimmers with them. They also don't have any kind of "flicker" to them - most don't see the flicker of CFL bulbs, but supposedly it's there, and can cause headaches with some people especially when using LCD computer screens... LEDs don't have this. But on the down side, they're wayyyyyy too expesive, put out a blue(ish) type of light, and don't last as long as they're advertised to last, generally.

Once they iron out the details, I'm sure they'll become more common. Right now they're a novelty.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 PM

20,853 posts, read 35,970,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Well they are better than flourescent bulbs due to not having mercury in them, which makes for some disposal issues that people often ignore. I do see LED more in certain situations that are better than traditional forms of lighting, traffic signals are much easier to see as an LED for example. My guess is being phased in over time this decade to becoming the main form of lights.
That is a general misconception. I always recycle CFLs with any HHW and have never had any issues. The flourescent tubes, however, contain at least 10x more mercury than CFLs, but no one mentions that.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:49 PM

892 posts, read 1,930,968 times
LED's are starting to make their way into the market here, though slowly. I've seen them used in flashlights and various small lamps. I work in the automotive industry and notice that many are starting to use them for brake lights. And the new Audi's use them as accent lights too. I know that they're more "green", but I just don't like how they light up a room. I still prefer the old school incandescent bulbs. If they can get LED's to look more natural, I'm on board!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or