U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:35 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,690,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Especially Little Rock, it feels more like Dallas than Shreveport IMO and if you're going west to Monroe you might as well throw in Memphis and a large chunk of Mississippi.

True. I see many more similarities btw Dallas and LR than Shreveport. Shreveport does not really have a likeness. Even Monroe 95 miles east is definitely delta and there are some significant differences over there. Jackson would not be it either. Barksdale Air Force Base changes a lot about the area.

Atlanta feels like a larger version of Birmingham with bookoos more to do and see honestly IMO. While not exactly alike, they are awfully close. If Birmingham hadn't stopped growing I bet that they would feel a lot alike vs. if Jackson on Memphis grew to the extent of Atlanta.
I've always thought of the two cities as being alike in many ways, but Atlanta seems more energitic than Birmingham. Maybe that is one difference along side the huge growth factor of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 10:37 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I've always thought of the two cities as being alike in many ways, but Atlanta seems more energitic than Birmingham. Maybe that is one difference along side the huge growth factor of Atlanta.
That's really the only difference that I see. One seems like a bigger faster version of the other to me.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:43 PM

4,136 posts, read 7,194,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Dallas and Memphis have almost zero similarities except they are both in the South. Memphis does share similarities with Little Rock and Shreveport, but Dallas is like another world. For one, Dallas is a modern city with a booming economy while Memphis, Little Rock, and Shreveport are very gritty, dated, and depressed and all of them have very high crime rates for their sizes. Dallas is much more similar to the plains cities like OKC than it is Memphis.
What does that have to do with anything?

Old 07-31-2010, 10:44 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,576,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
What does that have to do with anything?
exactly, this is a thread about culture/cultural boundaries, not how nice a city looks or a skyline thread.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:50 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
It is largely due to the terrain differences. Memphis is in the Mississippi Delta region which has a much higher black population (especially comparing rural areas) than the Nashville area. This is related to where a plantation culture could of developed and the number of slaves in an area.

I noticed another cultural boundary near St. Louis. In the outlying areas going away from the city there is one culture that hugs the Missouri River up to Jefferson City and down the Mississippi to Cape Girardeau, and another one more than 5-10 miles away from the rivers. From what I can tell it is due to the differences in ancestry and religion since near the rivers is predominantly German and Catholic while away from the rivers it is largely English/American ancestry and Evangelical Protestant.
Funny thing is most people in Memphis don't notice the cultural change from Memphis to St. Louis. They'd probably tell you that they think Memphis & St. Louis are more similar than Memphis & Nashville (viewed like a completely different world) I think there's a big cultural difference, but for some reason most people in Memphis don't realize it when they visit St. Louis

Old 08-01-2010, 01:25 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,118,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Funny thing is most people in Memphis don't notice the cultural change from Memphis to St. Louis. They'd probably tell you that they think Memphis & St. Louis are more similar than Memphis & Nashville (viewed like a completely different world) I think there's a big cultural difference, but for some reason most people in Memphis don't realize it when they visit St. Louis
There is a significant difference but there are some underlying similarities at its base. There are similarities but ends up going about it a different way, basically meaning its different in a similar way.

The cultural change from Memphis either to Nashville or St. Louis occurs at about the same georaphical feature which is when you leave the Mississippi Ebayment feature which is largely a Northern extension of the Deep South that occured as a function of geography.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:48 PM

1,766 posts, read 2,785,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Culturally Memphis and St. Louis do have a very similar feel to me, more similar than Memphis and Nashville, but not as similar as Memphis and New Orleans; they could almost pass for twins in so many ways. They're very similar and have that MS rivertown look and feel through and through.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:12 AM

7,909 posts, read 12,173,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
remotely come close to having the same culture? please dude. stop being such a devensive homer. how about a current map? their csa's border eachother, atlanta CSA is IN alabama. either that or you don't know what "culture" is...
What does the CSA have to do with anything? Yes there is one Alabama county in the Atlanta CSA, but it's not there for cultural reasons. It's there because people commute from there to somewhere in the metro. Following your logic, then people in Pike County, Pennsylvania share the same culture as Manhattan because it's the NYC CSA.

And defensive homer? How about someone who is fully aware of the culture in both places and doesn't have this smug disdain for the area to lump them all into one category.

Quote:
edit: I see you just posted, that isn't culture "vibe/shops/city life" lol... basically atlanta is a lot more wealthy than Birmingham and that is why they have the amenities among other things. Nobody is denying it is much more successful city than Birmingham, or anywhere else surrounding it. So is Atlanta a bigger city? Lots more going on? Better jobs? Better skyline? Nicer areas? No doubt about it! It isn't close, it's the same culture though.
And what is your basis for this, pray tell? What are the components of this culture?

Quote:
Plus you have TONS of people from Bham that come into Atlanta for the amenities there plus tons who move there for a better job.
And? Every big city has people coming in from smaller cities and rural areas to take advantage of the amenities of a bigger city. I fail to see how Atlanta is unique in that regard.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:26 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,576,706 times
Are you seriously about to argue they aren't the same culture? I just want to know if you are seriously contesting it, you already said they aren't remotely the same culture...which is absolutely baffling to me. I personally agree fully with WesternBankNola and ATL_Aficianado on their understanding of the area, so don't feel the need to rephrase what has already being said. You on the other hand haven't given any evidence for them being different. Having same CSA has everything to do with it, they are right next to each other, there is no cultural divide at the state line or within their respective metro areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
they do not remotely have the same culture and spending 2 minutes in either city that would be come dramatically clear to anyone.

Last edited by grapico; 08-02-2010 at 10:34 AM..

Old 08-02-2010, 10:39 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,231,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Dallas, Memphis, Little Rock, Shreveport, and Monroe all share similar cultures. There isn't much difference culture wise between Dallas and Memphis.
I agree with this...there is also not much difference between dallas and little rock either really. However, shreveport and monroe are the most contrasting to dallas of all the cities mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or