U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 AM

1,766 posts, read 2,784,503 times

Advertisements

This topic came up in another discussion and I thought it was very interesting. If you're either from or familiar with Memphis/Nashville or Birmingham/Jackson then you should be aware of the cultural differences that seperate these areas. MS rivertowns (and cities close by) have their own distict culture, feel and even architecture very different from places further east or west. To me they're like night and day from large cities just 2-3 hours away, but visitors from other regions may not see any difference at all.

Where are the cultural boundaries in your region where things start to look/feel different from where you currently reside and what are the indicators?

Have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:27 AM

74 posts, read 186,250 times
In Chicago we have "sides", and my cultural boundary is the Southside. The Southside feels like a mini city because of how big it is. It's bigger than most cities, population about like 1,233,612 which is the size of Dallas. There are alot of people from the hood in the Southside who live and do everything here without venturing to other sides of town often. Alot of people here are told not to go to the Westside. And some people are so Southside orientated that they dont feel comfortable elsewhere in town. The other sides feel different when you go to them because of their vibe and style.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:41 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
This topic came up in another discussion and I thought it was very interesting. If you're either from or familiar with Memphis/Nashville or Birmingham/Jackson then you should be aware of the cultural differences that seperate these areas. MS rivertowns (and cities close by) have their own distict culture, feel and even architecture very different from places further east or west. To me they're like night and day from large cities just 2-3 hours away, but visitors from other regions may not see any difference at all.

Where are the cultural boundaries in your region where things start to look/feel different from where you currently reside and what are the indicators?

Have fun.
Regarding that aren't Birmingham and Atlanta more of the same culture, more so than Jackson and Birmingham? After all they used to be part of Georgia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Un...89-08-1790.png

Old 07-31-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Regarding that aren't Birmingham and Atlanta more of the same culture, more so than Jackson and Birmingham? After all they used to be part of Georgia.

File:United States 1789-08-1790.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, you're absolutely right.
Don't expect a culture shock going from Birmingham to Nashville or Atlanta, culturally they might as well be the same place to me.
Even the architecture is much more similar than places further west. I've always noticed this, but some people from other regions don't see much of a difference at all if any.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:34 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,135,109 times
Quote:
MS rivertowns (and cities close by) have their own distict culture, feel and even architecture very different from places further east or west.
Not really. The southern Mississippi River towns are Memphis, Greenville, Vicksburg, Natchez, Baton Rouge, New Orleans.

Memphis and Greenville are the most similar out of the two (due to proximity). Natchez and Vicksburg are similar due to topography, but the culture in Natchez is more "Gone With the Wind". The Louisiana cities are little to nothing like the Mississippi cities and Baton Rouge and New Orleans are like night and day.

^You can get that same general feel from those Mississippi cities anywhere from southwest Alabama (and Montgomery to an extent), through southern Arkansas and northern Louisiana, and into eastern Texas.

That feel doesn't change until you start hitting areas like Birmingham, Atlanta, Nasvhville, Charlotte.

-------------------------------
As far as the OP, my region shifts as soon as you leave the suburbs.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Not really. The southern Mississippi River towns are Memphis, Greenville, Vicksburg, Natchez, Baton Rouge, New Orleans.

Memphis and Greenville are the most similar out of the two (due to proximity). Natchez and Vicksburg are similar due to topography, but the culture in Natchez is more "Gone With the Wind". The Louisiana cities are little to nothing like the Mississippi cities and Baton Rouge and New Orleans are like night and day.

^You can get that same feel from those Mississippi cities anywhere from southwest Alabama (and Montgomery to an extent), through southern Arkansas and northern Louisiana, and into eastern Texas.

That feel doesn't change until you start hitting areas like Birmingham, Atlanta, Nasvhville, Charlotte.

-------------------------------
As far as the OP, my region shifts as soon as you leave the suburbs.
I agree with some of this. Lower Alabama does feel like some parts of Mississippi. I agree about Natchez too. The Trace looks and feels like Louisiana for sure with the hanging moss etc.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
The Trace looks and feels like Louisiana for sure with the hanging moss etc.

Which part of Louisiana?

Old 07-31-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

Which part of Louisiana?
Ummmm Baton Rouge for starters. Are you familiar with the Highland area?

Old 07-31-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Ummmm Baton Rouge for starters. Are you familiar with the Highland area?
Yes, but moss?
When you said hanging moss, I'm thinking cypress swamp.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:04 AM

Yes, unless they removed it this morning lol.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 07-31-2010 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or