U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINresident View Post
I think this is too heavily based on the professional level. However, I do agree with your lists for the most part for everything but hockey. I'm sorry but I've never heard of Philly or Pittsburgh being great hockey towns. Now, I think they are good overall sports towns... but lets remember that the Pens were last in attendance in the NHL in 03-04.

For hockey, I would say
1) Minneapolis/St. Paul
2) Boston
3) Detroit
4) Chicago
everybody else
So were the Blackhawks a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 06:51 PM

529 posts, read 1,022,652 times
Washington DC has all 4 (5 if u include MLS) sports represented, but it really doesn't feel like a sports city at all.....i don't feel much fanbase here. i went to a Nats game for the first time this summer, and I really felt like the stadium was dead. there were people there, but nobody cheered, they just sat there like they were watching an orchestra. it was kinda sad....and boring.

I can't use the excuse "it just felt dead cuz the team sucks"....because an Orioles game has the stadium FULL of life! Baltimore felt like a real sports town, even if its team isnt top notch.
-I think it has something to do with the fact that DC is such a transient place. the people come and go, and don't really stick around long enough to establish community. I'm at fault for this too, bringing my NY/NJ bias with me.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:39 AM

1,588 posts, read 3,561,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I looked at attendance numbers from the 2000 - 01 season through this past season and the Blackhawks were never dead last.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:46 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,358,461 times
I was in Philly one time, and I can tell you for sure that that is a sports town. Even random old ladies would have something bad to say about TO. Even Mom's with kids were shouting out loud at Phillies games. It seemed like everybody knew what they were talking about when it came to sports and their teams.

Chicago too.

I also think of NYC being a good sports town. Same with Dallas... Some towns I don't think are good sports towns - Seattle, San Diego, and Miami

Old 08-04-2010, 02:38 PM

94 posts, read 216,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The list I generated is based on my belief of areas with top to down hockey support. To me, having strong support at youth, high school, college, and pros is important. Illinois, and Chicago, isn't a hockey state, but there definetly is support at the pros and the junior hockey levels.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,134,238 times
My perception:

Big-time sports towns (in no particular order):
1. Chicago
2. New York
3. Philadelphia
4. Dallas
5. LA
6. Pittsburgh
7. Cleveland
8. Boston
9. Milwaukee/Green Bay
10. Twin Cities (guilty bias)

Towns that just don't seem to care as much (in no particular order):
1. Seattle
2. Miami
3. Tampa Bay
4. San Francisco
5. Phoenix

Without starting an absolute sh*t storm, this is a generalized perception based on all 4 major sports categories combined in recent history (e.g. I realize the Phoenix Suns are hugely popular, and I realize the 49ers were once a great dynasty). Also, in reality, Minneapolis/St. Paul may be more middle-ground, mostly because nobody cares much about the Wolves, but without the Twins Vikings or fill-in-the-blank hockey team, people would hang themselves!!

Old 08-04-2010, 07:15 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,578,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I thought the Cincinnati Reds were? I believe that the Chicago Cubs are also up there....
No. The Braves are. The history goes way back in Boston.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:54 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I looked at attendance numbers from the 2000 - 01 season through this past season and the Blackhawks were never dead last.
Well I found this from NBC 5 in Chicago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 5, Chicago
Paul M. Banks a.k.a. The Sports Bank, NBC Chicago Street Team During the Bill Wirtz era, it was not uncommon for the Chicago Blackhawks to draw less than 5,000 fans for a game. Earlier this decade, they finished dead last in the NHL in attendance. This season however, the Blackhawks set a National Hockey League club record by attracting an average of 21,783 to their 40 home dates at United Center (also, 40,818 filled Wrigley Field for the Winter Classic on New Year’s Day). It’s fashionable now to be “committed to the Indian.” Supporting the Blackhawks is the new black. On Monday night the Hawks, for the first time in franchise history, welcomed their one millionth fan in a single season (including playoffs) and they did it in style defeating the Vancouver Canucks 7-5 in Game 6 of the Western Conference Semifinals.
Regardless, if fan support for the Penguins was poor early last decade, then it was for the Blackhawks as well.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:00 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,983,896 times
In hockey in terms of top to bottom support, it would look something like this:

1 Any Large Canadian City
2 Minneapolis/St Paul

-huge gap-

3 Boston
4 Detroit
5 Buffalo/Rochester

-big gap-

T6 Chicago, Milwaukee/Madison, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New York, Hartford

Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 PM

18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
Washington DC has all 4 (5 if u include MLS) sports represented, but it really doesn't feel like a sports city at all.....i don't feel much fanbase here. i went to a Nats game for the first time this summer, and I really felt like the stadium was dead. there were people there, but nobody cheered, they just sat there like they were watching an orchestra. it was kinda sad....and boring.

I can't use the excuse "it just felt dead cuz the team sucks"....because an Orioles game has the stadium FULL of life! Baltimore felt like a real sports town, even if its team isnt top notch.
-I think it has something to do with the fact that DC is such a transient place. the people come and go, and don't really stick around long enough to establish community. I'm at fault for this too, bringing my NY/NJ bias with me.
Well for one. The Orioles are far more established in the Baltimore area compared to the Nationals. The Nationals have been in Washington for all of five years and that stadium has been up for all of 3. Give Washington time to build a great atmosphere for the franchise. Now, attend a Redskin game and you will truly see the passion of the sports fans of Washington DC. The Nationals will never reach the popularity and the hearts of the metropolitan area like the Redskins do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or