U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:19 PM

18,643 posts, read 27,082,820 times

Advertisements

Here's my list. Combined with fan support, passion, team success, revenue, and amount of options. This IMO is my top 10.
1. New York
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia
5. Dallas
6. Pittsburgh
7. St. Louis
8. Detroit
9. Seattle
10. San Francisco

Los Angeles falls just outside the top 10 because of what happened with the NFL. The Lakers are in the top two though as well as the Dodgers.

But these cities IMO are tops when you combine all of the criteria together. You can probably change a couple around in the top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 09:50 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,146,208 times
Boy, aside from the Cardinals I can't say great things about STL sports, and I lived there!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:47 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,581,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Here's my list. Combined with fan support, passion, team success, revenue, and amount of options. This IMO is my top 10.
1. New York
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia
5. Dallas
6. Pittsburgh
7. St. Louis
8. Detroit
9. Seattle
10. San Francisco

Los Angeles falls just outside the top 10 because of what happened with the NFL. The Lakers are in the top two though as well as the Dodgers.

But these cities IMO are tops when you combine all of the criteria together. You can probably change a couple around in the top 10.
The Angels have much better fan support than the Dodgers. No offense, but most white people in greater LA don't even care for the Dodgers. The Angels are their team. From what I've seen, the greatest Dodger fan support seems to be among Mexicans.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:49 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,581,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Boy, aside from the Cardinals I can't say great things about STL sports, and I lived there!
The Cardinals have a very loyal fan base. You're right, however, St. Louis doesn't support the Rams and Blues like they do the Cardinals.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:01 AM

22,339 posts, read 32,187,488 times
Quote:
1. New York
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia
5. Dallas
6. Pittsburgh
7. St. Louis
8. Detroit
9. Seattle
10. San Francisco

I think this is a pretty good list - Seattle is the one wild card - to me at times it seems like they are ok others no, but honestly i have not spent a ton of time in the city to really get a great feel.

One other to me is Cleveland, but no NHL - but they really seem pretty passionate and knowledgable, I actually cant blame them for their attendance this year for the tribe. Though on success unfortunatly they are lacking - In many ways I think I could really really feel good about a Browns or Indians championship - they probably deserve one

Old 08-05-2010, 08:36 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,492,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I thought the Cincinnati Reds were? I believe that the Chicago Cubs are also up there....
The first professional baseball team was in Cincinatti, and did call themselves the Reds, but today's team with that name cannot trace its lineage to that original team. The original Reds disbanded after a year, then many (including the manager) started a new team in Boston. That team would eventually be known as the Braves, the same Braves that later moved to Milwaukee, and now play in Atlanta. The claim regarding Braves is that they are the oldest continuously operating professional baseball team, and that is correct.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,492,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The Angels have much better fan support than the Dodgers. No offense, but most white people in greater LA don't even care for the Dodgers. The Angels are their team. From what I've seen, the greatest Dodger fan support seems to be among Mexicans.
Wow, where to start? What does the color of the fan base have to do with whether a team is popular, or whether the city it plays in can be considered a top sports town? Are you kidding me with this? Take your racism elsewhere, thank you.

As for the Angels and the Dodgers, both teams have huge fan bases, but the Dodgers consistently lead both leagues in attendance. When I lived in L.A., most people I knew picked the team to route for based upon their league preference. NL fans went to Dodger games, AL fans went to Angels games. And lots of people go to both.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,998,311 times
Quote:
Now, attend a Redskin game and you will truly see the passion of the sports fans of Washington DC.
Unless the Steelers, cowgirls or Eagles are playing, in which case the "fans" trying to turn a profit will have sold 40% of the seats to opposing fans. Snyder and all the law firms/businesses basically alienated the common man from DC sports.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
In reality, there will always be one dominant team for a metro area. For example, the Yankees dominate New York. But the other teams are supported as well. The Cowboys dominate Dallas. But the other teams are supported as well. One team will usually capture the hearts of most in a city or market over the rest. For St. Louis. It shouldn't be a surprise. The Rams have been in St. Louis for only about 15 years and they have 1 Super Bowl. The Cardinals have been in St. Louis for decades and have over 10 World Championships which is the 2nd most out of any team in the league.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 AM

HenryAlan. You did better than me. I don't know how I would answer that lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think this is a pretty good list - Seattle is the one wild card - to me at times it seems like they are ok others no, but honestly i have not spent a ton of time in the city to really get a great feel.

One other to me is Cleveland, but no NHL - but they really seem pretty passionate and knowledgable, I actually cant blame them for their attendance this year for the tribe. Though on success unfortunatly they are lacking - In many ways I think I could really really feel good about a Browns or Indians championship - they probably deserve one
Seattle has great support. The Seahawks are known as the 12 man in the NFL with a very loud fanbase. The Mariners get great support every year. Just youtube Sounders and you will see how rabid they will get behind them. The Sonics were some of the best fans in the league before the NBA screwed them a couple years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or