U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:13 AM

766 posts, read 2,271,023 times

Advertisements

The rankings needs to be split up a bit. Most people are basing their rankings strictly on pro sports, but that's not necessarily fair. Places like Boston and NYC that are fantastic pro sports towns (yet horrible college sports towns) seem to get more credit by the public than places like Atlanta which supports college sports rabidly (albeit with terrible pro sports support), but everything should be taken into account.

BEST ACROSS-THE-BOARD SPORTS TOWNS (ALL SPORTS, PRO AND COLLEGE)
1. Detroit
2. Chicago
3. Cleveland
4. Pittsburgh
5. Dallas

*NOTE: Heavily-slanted toward Midwest, which is the region that combines strong pro fan bases with large alumni bases for sports-heavy colleges in the Big Ten plus Notre Dame. Detroit gets the nod at the top because not only do all 4 sports teams have loyal fan bases (even the Lions), but there's a huge Michigan and Michigan State fan presence. Please note that I personally loathe all Detroit-area teams, but I'll give credit where credit is due.

BEST PRO SPORTS TOWNS
1. Chicago
2. Detroit
3. Boston
4. Philadelphia
5. New York

*NOTE: Chicago gets the top spot here because while its college sports fans are much more dispersed compared to Detroit, all 5 pro teams get heavily concentrated coverage. Bears, Cubs, Bulls and Blackhawks are all tough tickets while the White Sox hold their own.

BEST COLLEGE SPORTS CITIES THAT AREN'T "COLLEGE TOWNS"
1. Atlanta
2. Charlotte
3. Indianapolis
4. Louisville
5. Nashville

*NOTE: This list is limited to large and economically diverse metro areas as opposed to towns that are dominated by particular colleges. Atlanta and other southeastern cities are HORRIBLE pro sports towns, but they deserve credit for their passion for college sports (especially the SEC). Indianapolis is the geographic outlier, but it lives for college basketball more than anything else (Colts fans are definitely of the fair-weather variety).

BEST "ONE TRICK PONY" SPORTS TOWNS (CRAZY LOVE FOR ONE PARTICULAR TEAM)
1. Green Bay/Milwaukee (Packers)
2. St. Louis (Cardinals)
3. Los Angeles (Lakers)
4. Washington (Redskins)
5. Kansas City (Chiefs)

*NOTE: These are towns that have zany interest in one particular team, while interest in the town's other teams is "meh". There is nothing like Green Bay in this regard. Packers news is front page news in the Green Bay Press-Gazette (and I mean front page of the entire newspaper as opposed to the sports section) every single day even in the middle of June. This fervor extends down to Milwaukee, which doesn't really care about the teams that are actually within its city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 AM

1,588 posts, read 3,565,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Well I found this from NBC 5 in Chicago:

Regardless, if fan support for the Penguins was poor early last decade, then it was for the Blackhawks as well.
Visit Google, type in NHL attendance, and then hit enter. Choose the first link, which leads you to a pretty authoritative site called ESPN. It's hard to argue against their numbers, especially when compared to some blog.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:38 PM

3,077 posts, read 5,456,335 times
Did you forget Detroit?

Leaving Detroit off of that list is almost offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINresident View Post
Here is a list of metropolitan areas by population. The order doesn't matter though; it's just a list you can use for my question: Which metros are sports towns and which aren't? You can divide them into categories like "sports town," "not sports town," and "neither," or just comment on specific cities.

To me, a sports town consitutues a town (or area) that heavily supports its teams, whether professional or college (or even high school), in good times, and bad times. Now, every metro will support teams more when their winning, but I think there is a fine line between less support and abandoning the franchise (fair weather).

A sports town, also (but to a smaller extent) has winning teams. Using that criteria, a city like Boston would be a better sports town than San Francisco.

Metros:
New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago
Dallas/Fort Worth
Philadelphia
Houston
Miami
Washington DC
Atlanta
Boston
Phoenix
San Francisco
Seattle
Minneapolis/St. Paul
San Diego
St. Louis
Tampa
Baltimore
Denver
Pittsburgh
Portland
Cincinnatti
Cleveland
Orlando
San Antonio
Kansas City
Las Vegas
San Jose
Columbus
Charlotte
Indianapolis
Milwaukee

other smaller metros:
Madison
Green Bay
Ann Arbor
Austin
College Station
Norman
Chapel Hill

other?

I skipped a few metros that have small sports scenes.

I tend to think that cities with less transplants and more pride in the city are more likely to be good sports towns. I think its no secret that many southern cities which have exploded in growth (Tampa, Phoenix, Atlanta) tend to struggle aganist the likes of northern cities with older and more established franchises (Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia).

I'll post my list of sports towns when I come up with it!

Old 08-05-2010, 01:44 PM

56,742 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Syracuse is a very good town for college sports. Great attendance for Basketball games. Whie the Football program has struggled the last several years, they still get good support and they should improve this year. Great Lacrosse following too.

Minor league sports tend to get decent attendance, but when the teams are good, the place is usually packed, for the most part for the Baseball or Hockey teams.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:46 PM

3,077 posts, read 5,456,335 times
Quote:
The rankings needs to be split up a bit. Most people are basing their rankings strictly on pro sports, but that's not necessarily fair. Places like Boston and NYC that are fantastic pro sports towns (yet horrible college sports towns) seem to get more credit by the public than places like Atlanta which supports college sports rabidly (albeit with terrible pro sports support), but everything should be taken into account.

1. Detroit
2. Chicago
3. Cleveland
4. Pittsburgh
5. Dallas

*NOTE: Heavily-slanted toward Midwest, which is the region that combines strong pro fan bases with large alumni bases for sports-heavy colleges in the Big Ten plus Notre Dame. Detroit gets the nod at the top because not only do all 4 sports teams have loyal fan bases (even the Lions), but there's a huge Michigan and Michigan State fan presence. Please note that I personally loathe all Detroit-area teams, but I'll give credit where credit is due.
Is this THE Frank the Tank? If so, I became a big fan of your blog during the whole college football expansion fiasco!

I think you are absolutely correct about those midwestern cities being the best overall sports towns. But I don't expect people from either coast to ever be able to comprehend how that could be possible.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:16 PM

94 posts, read 216,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Did you forget Detroit?

Leaving Detroit off of that list is almost offensive.
That was a mistake.

Quote:
Seattle has great support. The Seahawks are known as the 12 man in the NFL with a very loud fanbase. The Mariners get great support every year. Just youtube Sounders and you will see how rabid they will get behind them. The Sonics were some of the best fans in the league before the NBA screwed them a couple years ago.
Have you heard of Mall of America Field at the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome? It's so loud, the name deserves to be a sentence long.

It's loud, has history, and recently has been magic in big games.

Just ask opposing NFL, MLB players or its biggest hater, Ozzie Guillen.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:03 PM

18,653 posts, read 27,092,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINresident View Post
That was a mistake.

Have you heard of Mall of America Field at the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome? It's so loud, the name deserves to be a sentence long.

It's loud, has history, and recently has been magic in big games.

Just ask opposing NFL, MLB players or its biggest hater, Ozzie Guillen.
Yeah. I have heard about that about the HHH dome (BTW, that is possibly the worse name for a stadium in sports if not the NFL). But Kansas City and Buffalo has that perception as well.

Frank, that's why in my ranking, I included all of that you mentioned. I do believe Dallas should be up there in best college towns. Hosting Big 12 championship games in football and basketball, hosting one of the great rivalries in all of college football every October, hosting many more college football games yearly in the new Cowboys Stadium, hosting a HBCU game every year, home of a classic bowl game that may return to prominence after it moves to Cowboys Stadium. I would put it behind Atlanta but ahead of Charlotte.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 PM

94 posts, read 216,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah. I have heard about that about the HHH dome (BTW, that is possibly the worse name for a stadium in sports if not the NFL). But Kansas City and Buffalo has that perception as well.

Frank, that's why in my ranking, I included all of that you mentioned. I do believe Dallas should be up there in best college towns. Hosting Big 12 championship games in football and basketball, hosting one of the great rivalries in all of college football every October, hosting many more college football games yearly in the new Cowboys Stadium, hosting a HBCU game every year, home of a classic bowl game that may return to prominence after it moves to Cowboys Stadium. I would put it behind Atlanta but ahead of Charlotte.
I do like your list a lot ... except for NY being 1 and Seattle being ranked.

I was just adding a tidbit about the Metrodome.

Is college football more popular than the Cowboys in Texas?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:01 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,582,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Wow, where to start? What does the color of the fan base have to do with whether a team is popular, or whether the city it plays in can be considered a top sports town? Are you kidding me with this? Take your racism elsewhere, thank you.

As for the Angels and the Dodgers, both teams have huge fan bases, but the Dodgers consistently lead both leagues in attendance. When I lived in L.A., most people I knew picked the team to route for based upon their league preference. NL fans went to Dodger games, AL fans went to Angels games. And lots of people go to both.
Calm down, skippy. I'm simply point out the facts.

Check out the fans found in the stadiums where the Dodgers and Angels play. At Dodger Stadium, you might have a fan base that is 40% white. However, at Angels Stadium, the crowd is about 80% white, perhaps higher. This could have a little to do with the Angels being located in Orange County, an area where more whites live, while the Dodgers play in L.A. in an area that is surrounded by lots of Mexicans. Still, it's not enough to account for the vast differences in fan base.

I take trips to southern California, and generally speaking, those individuals with LA Dodgers caps on are Mexican, or of Mexican heritage, while those with Angels hats are generally not, usually whites.

You need to calm down and not get so worked up over nothing. Pointing out observations is simply reporting what is, so don't get worked up.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,582,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post

1. Detroit
2. Chicago
3. Cleveland
4. Pittsburgh
5. Dallas

BEST PRO SPORTS TOWNS
1. Chicago
2. Detroit
3. Boston
4. Philadelphia
5. New York

*NOTE: Chicago gets the top spot here because while its college sports fans are much more dispersed compared to Detroit, all 5 pro teams get heavily concentrated coverage. Bears, Cubs, Bulls and Blackhawks are all tough tickets while the White Sox hold their own.

BEST COLLEGE SPORTS CITIES THAT AREN'T "COLLEGE TOWNS"
1. Atlanta
2. Charlotte
3. Indianapolis
4. Louisville
5. Nashville

*NOTE: This list is limited to large and economically diverse metro areas as opposed to towns that are dominated by particular colleges. Atlanta and other southeastern cities are HORRIBLE pro sports towns, but they deserve credit for their passion for college sports (especially the SEC). Indianapolis is the geographic outlier, but it lives for college basketball more than anything else (Colts fans are definitely of the fair-weather variety).

BEST "ONE TRICK PONY" SPORTS TOWNS (CRAZY LOVE FOR ONE PARTICULAR TEAM)
1. Green Bay/Milwaukee (Packers)
2. St. Louis (Cardinals)
3. Los Angeles (Lakers)
4. Washington (Redskins)
5. Kansas City (Chiefs)

*NOTE: These are towns that have zany interest in one particular team, while interest in the town's other teams is "meh". There is nothing like Green Bay in this regard. Packers news is front page news in the Green Bay Press-Gazette (and I mean front page of the entire newspaper as opposed to the sports section) every single day even in the middle of June. This fervor extends down to Milwaukee, which doesn't really care about the teams that are actually within its city limits.
Atlanta isn't a bad pro-sports city. It's actually improved a lot since the 80s. I'd argue that it is middle of the pack, and in the top in baseball. With hockey, I'd place it in the bottom ten, even though we have a decent turnout with a solid fan base.

However, Atlanta ISN'T an excellent college sports town. It's so-so, just like the pros. It's not bad, but it isn't rabid. Now, Athens, I'd agree with you, as that is the home to the University of Georgia. Even rural Georgia is much more wild about their "Dawgs" than metro Atlanta. Support for Georgia and Georgia Tech is about even in metro Atlanta, while Georgia completely takes top honors in fan support for the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or