U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you raise a family in a Downtown Condo?
Yes/Tak 28 71.79%
No/Nie 11 28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:08 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,589,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Depends on the downtown.
I would until 6th grade comes around. You'd probably have to keep a good eye on your kid(s)- "things" are easier to get/do/happen in a city's downtown if you aren't extra careful.
Yeah could see even to 6th grade also... as they start to "go out" without you. Also schools would be a factor, if I was making bank could send to a private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 07:05 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,197,706 times
There is really no simple answer. Each circumstance can be completely different.

Given the choices of yes or no, the answer is yes, because there is zero way to rule it out completely.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,577,680 times
I DO NOT want kids, but if I were to ever have children (not gonna happen) I would raise them in the middle of NOWHERE. Somewhere like North Dakota or northwestern Minnesota, on a farm far from other people. Maybe somewhat near a small town of less than 500 people for weekly shopping trips, church and activities. I would want them to be totally safe and free of outside influences. I wouldn't dream of raising kids in the city!

Last edited by northstar22; 08-02-2010 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: GRAMMAR!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,509,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I would in downtowns in euro cities, probably not u.s. cities. My strategy if having kids is probably 1-4 years old stay in the city, soon as kindergarten age then suburbs, soon as 18... back into the city.
Yes, I noticed a big difference in the places I have been in Europe in regards to kids in the city. Kids playing in the street and in parks of dense urban areas is not something that is common in the U.S, at least in what are considered desirable neighborhoods. In Europe I saw a good amount of this. I rarely see kids that are past school age in the neighborhoods near downtown Chicago. I do know a couple of younger people who grew up in the Gold Coast, but they are certainly the exception. I also know a couple of people who grew up in Lincoln Park and Lakeview, but they are older and grew up when those neighborhoods were considered declining blue collar type places.

Personally I don't think I would want to raise kids in an apartment building. Maybe a close-in neighborhood in a single family house if I thought it was safe enough. Even then it would likely require private schools and would be very expensive. A lot of this of course depends on the city.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:46 PM

7,836 posts, read 19,589,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Depends on the downtown.
I would until 6th grade comes around. You'd probably have to keep a good eye on your kid(s)- "things" are easier to get/do/happen in a city's downtown if you aren't extra careful.
Yeah that's what we were kinda thinking as well but could you imagine being a teenager growing up downtown? you would be the envy of all your friends!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:24 PM

3,511 posts, read 7,322,950 times
Yeah I would, but not in the busiest section of downtown. It also depends on the city. A few cities are big but don't have much of a downtown like Phoenix. In Chicago, there are 3-4 different downtowns all merge into one: Loop(CBD), near northside, West Loop, and South Loop. The South Loop is the least congested and the most kid friendly. I wonder what it feels like living in downtown of a big city, let alone grow up there.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-02-2010 at 06:43 PM..

Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,432,789 times
I have no problems with raising kids in the heart of the city, but it's not going to happen for us for one primary reason: cost. Those downtown condos usually come with a high price tag. Here in Minneapolis, we can buy a duplex in an urban neighborhood that actually is more walkable (with more useful amenities) than the neighborhoods in the core of downtown, and that duplex will cost less than what we'd pay for a 2-BR condo unit (plus monthly fees) in most of the downtown places.

When we very casually checked out condo options for downtown Chicago (when we were toying with the idea of a potential move there) we came across reviews of very family-friendly downtown Chicago condo towers. We'd certainly have been open to that, assuming the price tag was doable.

I'd be fine raising a kid in Manhattan, too, except for the problem of cost. I'm sure that's keeping many other families away, too.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:28 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,197,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I have no problems with raising kids in the heart of the city, but it's not going to happen for us for one primary reason: cost. Those downtown condos usually come with a high price tag. Here in Minneapolis, we can buy a duplex in an urban neighborhood that actually is more walkable (with more useful amenities) than the neighborhoods in the core of downtown, and that duplex will cost less than what we'd pay for a 2-BR condo unit (plus monthly fees) in most of the downtown places.

When we very casually checked out condo options for downtown Chicago (when we were toying with the idea of a potential move there) we came across reviews of very family-friendly downtown Chicago condo towers. We'd certainly have been open to that, assuming the price tag was doable.

I'd be fine raising a kid in Manhattan, too, except for the problem of cost. I'm sure that's keeping many other families away, too.

This I agree I live in a downtown rowhouse and much prefer this to a highrise condo. I have a 5 yo daughter who spends some time with me and loves it...

Old 08-03-2010, 07:26 PM

87 posts, read 317,246 times
I voted "no," but I was thinking about Cincinnati's downtown with basically no playgrounds within safe walking distance.

Milwaukee is a different story (and I lived in Milwaukee for four years). Sounds like you'd be living on the lakefront...which I don't consider to be part of downtown. Mileage varies of course, but I consider the lakefront to be east of downtown. I'd probably raise a family in a condo on the lakefront...depending on the condo's size and proximity to playgrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.