U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,493 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband want to move to a small town that we can peacefully raise our two children in. I'm 28, my husband is 29, and our two children are 5 and 2. I don't really have a state in mind. Just anywhere other then Virginia.

I'm a Forensic Scientist, and my husband is a police officer. We are looking for a place that has less than 1000 people in population. A town where we can either have a job in that town or where we can comute to work, that isn't a long drive. Somewhere with a good economy, not real expensive houses, and a low crime rate.

Schooling isn't a big concern right now, but in the next year or so it will be. So we want a place where there is good schooling and also good daycare for our younger child. There needs to be at least a few things to do there. Like parks or fairs or something for our children too.

And we really like the idea of giving our children a real country up-bringing. So anywhere that has that country feel to it, and really friendly people, is perfect.

So, any place that you think would work for us, just tell me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:40 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,718,091 times
I think your criteria could describe a lot of small towns in America. Do you have any other preferences? What about weather?

Old 08-02-2010, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,493 times
I'd like a longer summer, like 7 or 8 months of summer. But I would like a winter too. It doesn't have to be like a huge winter, with twenty feet of snow. But still. A winter, none-the-less.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM

681 posts, read 2,708,204 times
Des Moines might work. It's the state capitol and headquarters to the State Department of Criminal Investigation and the Iowa State Patrol. There's also a number of growing police departments in the area. I'm not in the field, so I can't tell you specifically what the job prospects are, but it's worth a look.

Iowa's been consistently ranked as one of the best places in the country to raise kids, and the schools are very good. We have about 4-5 months of summer, usually (May-August), but very nice and comfortable spring and fall. We also have snowy, cold winters.

If you were interested in small towns around Des Moines, you might look at Granger (pop. 583) or Alleman (439). Both are about 20 miles north of downtown. There's also Cumming (146) and Van Meter (866) to the south and southwest.

If you're interested, you can always stop by the Iowa forum for more information.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:41 AM

20,061 posts, read 27,900,733 times
North Carolina consistently ranks as one of the best places to live. The Triangle area (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) usually tops the list. There are some nice towns in the area that would offer the safe, small town life you want, with good schools and access to work for both of you. It's also not a huge long distance move so the logistics of uprooting would be less scary and less costly.

I would recommend looking at Orange County, where Chapel Hill is located.
Orange County, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chapel Hill is the largest town in the county (just 80,000 people) and there are many smaller communities 20-30 minutes out that would offer what you're looking for. Orange County public schools are excellent, particularly the Chapel Hill schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.