U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 12:55 PM

2,066 posts, read 4,417,704 times

Advertisements

On a recent episode of COPS a major City Police Department did a sting operation using a Mountain Bike as the bait. There were a total of 10 undercover officers and supervisors orchestrating this operation. The operation placed a KIDS Mountain Bike next to a wall at a downtown location. Surveillance cops watched, as mostly the homeless or drug addicts walked by and eventually took the after just watching the bike for10 or 15 minutes. Finally, when arrest is made, the homeless or drug attacks all say that they only took the bike because they thought that it was abandoned. Again, I counted 10 undercover cops and supervisors at the scene. Now, is this overkill or what? Also, with all the serious crimes such as killings, rapes, robberies happening in cities, should cops be wasting their time, manhours and money on bogus sting operations such as this? C'mon....a Mountain Bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 12:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,068,176 times
HMMM, you just have to wonder if their intention wasn't to flush some people out of the woodworks. If there really was no ulterior motive behind it, yea~you're right. Seems a bit silly to me, too.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:34 PM

653 posts, read 3,133,137 times
OVERKILL To The Max. A waste of resources, time and taxpayers money. I saw the episode--wasn't it in Albuquerque New Mexico?? While I support the Police--this kind of thing is plain stupid IMHO!!

Old 06-24-2007, 06:09 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,189,869 times
Was it Philly?
City topped 400 murders in 2006, and is on pace to top it this year. Add all the shootings & assaults where the victims survived. So what does the city have our Police doing? Closing down all the Psychic Reader joints in the city and keeping strict follow-ups! Ummm, isn't it voluntary to patronize psychic readers if you want to, whether they're full of it or not (can pay to see a cruppy movie, too, if you wish!)
Have to wonder...

Old 06-25-2007, 06:10 AM

1,765 posts, read 6,380,469 times
Stings like that often result from resident complaints in a specific area. I enjoyed that episode as a bike owner who has lived in several major metro areas.

How would you suggest they set up sting operations for these killings, rapes and robberies you guys are talking about? I'm curious now since the bike stings are clearly just tempting honest, working-poor, hungry people to steal for food.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:47 AM

434 posts, read 1,589,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Stings like that often result from resident complaints in a specific area. I enjoyed that episode as a bike owner who has lived in several major metro areas.
I have to agree. It isn't so silly when it's something of yours that has been stolen. I never realized how much it ****es you off until it happened to me. Plus that is usually one of the first signs of a neighborhood sliding. If you can do something to run those people off it is worth doing...especially if it is YOUR neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.