U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:24 PM

34,708 posts, read 33,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The southern states traditionally have had the highest murder rates, and still do.
What I wanted to point out is that the time when most of the southern states had their highest individual murder rate was in the early to mid 1970's. For instance, in Georgia, where I live, the highest murder rate ever for Georgia was in 1972, with a murder rate of 18.5 murders per 100,000. In New Jersey, the highest murder rate ever recorded(from 1960-2008) was in 1980. It was 6.9 murders per 100,000 people.
How this breaks down:
New Jersey(1980): Population of 7,342,164. 504 murders
Georgia (1972): Population of 4,720,000. 871 murders

You have a point about the south having the highest murder rates though.
Do you have any statistics to determine what percent of the murders are committed by assailants known to the victim rather than stranger murder?

I ask because I sometimes think you can greatly decrease your chances of being a murder victim or victim of violence by not hanging out with creeps or marrying one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 11:42 PM

48,282 posts, read 45,567,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
With all due respect, PL, I am not really following you here. If you want to make a case that the Southern states have a higher/lower "murder" rate than the rest of the country...then first of all there has to be established authority beyond the Weather Channel as in regional groupings. I mean, the National Weather Service Office "Southern Region" consists of all the Old Confederate States plus Oklahoma and Kentucky...but includes New Mexico and excludes Virginia! LOL

I am not trying to be a smart-aleck, JL, not at all. And if you were to say and present the case that Southern states have a higher murder rate and make it clear the definition of the Southern states is based upon this or that consideration of yours, then that is great. But you need to define it right off the bat. Because in considering the big picture, others may have a totally different notion of what exactly is the South in order to comment. Just saying!
I got the definition of the South from World Book Encyclopedia. I got the Great Plains part from the weather channel.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you have any statistics to determine what percent of the murders are committed by assailants known to the victim rather than stranger murder?

I ask because I sometimes think you can greatly decrease your chances of being a murder victim or victim of violence by not hanging out with creeps or marrying one.
Where would I be able to get such stats?

Old 09-26-2010, 11:05 AM

In my study, it was more an attempt to find out specific events that contribute to violent crime rates at certain times. It all started with watching Gangland from The History Channel and the segment taking place in South Carolina. South Carolina has historically been one of the most violent states in the USA. I wanted to do a closer study on it.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:33 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,442,425 times
I would be interested by one thing : the crime rate by races !

Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I would be interested by one thing : the crime rate by races !
Race and crime might be strong correlations, but so are poverty and crime. Another element to this is that culture can play a role in crime.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 PM

15,083 posts, read 31,448,821 times
I wasn't alive in the early 70's, but I do remember around '92 or '93 when the "gangsta rap" started getting more popular. This was when young (mostly black) males were listening to Dr Dre and Tupac, and watching movies like 'Menace to Society' and 'Boyz N The Hood'. The "west coast gangsta" culture seemed to get more popular around that time and that's when the youth violence started increasing nationwide.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:45 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,442,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Race and crime might be strong correlations, but so are poverty and crime. Another element to this is that culture can play a role in crime.
Yeah the culture is impoerant too, the murder rate in Japan is extraordinarly low !

Old 09-29-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Yeah the culture is impoerant too, the murder rate in Japan is extraordinarly low !
Laws in Japan are very strict and there is a "group" dynamic in Japan. Breaking certain mores in society are considered to be disgraceful.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Laws in Japan are very strict and there is a "group" dynamic in Japan. Breaking certain mores in society are considered to be disgraceful.
I will also add that there has been a historically high crime rate in the South. Texas_Reb had a good point about the Honor Culture in the South and when people felt honor was at stake, sometimes violence was a result.

Another case I want to present is New Orleans. NOLA has been a historically violent city. Part of it was that at first, pirates were attracted to this city. Later on there were other things going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.